Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 v8 spark plug problem question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 AM
jvschle

Default 2006 v8 spark plug problem question

My buddy has his car at JPC racing getting a super charger installed. It is a 2006 mustang GT and when they were pulling out the plugs they snapped one off. They are now telling him to get this thing out they need to pull the head and it will take 10 hours at $90.

Does this sound legit? They break off a spark plug because of a common problem know with this engine, didn't soak the plugs or anything prior to attempting and is now going to charge him for this?

Just saw they make a tool for the removal of this, but thought JPC was suppose to know what they are doing. I work on my own stuff but this makes me even more concerned for ever going there for support or work.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:04 AM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 v8 spark plug problem question

There's a TSB out there for Spark Plug Removal. Yes this charge is legit, even a Ford dealership will charge to remove the head if they break off a plug. Good news is that they now have a special tool that is able to extract the plug without pulling the head.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

In my opinion, they should have been aware of the problem and taken the steps outlined in the TSB. That being said, I would probably either tell them it's their responsibility to remove the plug or I would take my car somewhere else for the plug removal AND supercharger install.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 AM
yamahadm250

they do have a tool for removing broken plugs,but it depends on how the plug broke. you might have to remove the head.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chris07GT

In my opinion, they should have been aware of the problem and taken the steps outlined in the TSB. That being said, I would probably either tell them it's their responsibility to remove the plug or I would take my car somewhere else for the plug removal AND supercharger install.
+1 Tell your friend to call for a tow and haul his car out of there. I think it's complete bull**** that Ford would charge you because of their poor design. If Ford did that to me, i'd be calling Ken Amaro (Ken on your side, first coast news jax). I bet he'd love to do a story on how ford designed a crappy head or plug rather and won't stand behind their crappy design. Has anyone else heard of any other non ford vehicles that have a similar problem?

I'd expect a performance shop like JPC to be a little more up to date on how to pull a broken plug without removing the whole ****ing head.[:'(]
Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

I went through this exact same scenario with my '06. Check out the thread below for how I got it out...

https://mustangforums.com/m_4844059/tm.htm
Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 AM
TungstenCompression

I work for Ford as a Service Advisor. If broken by the hand of the customer or and independent repair shop. The customer or said facility are responsible for the cost of repairs. If a Ford Technician breaks a plug off, it is still the financial responsibility of the customer unless the vehicle remains inside of it's 3/36k warranty and during a repair or diagnosis a Tech breaks a plug. Ford ESP's states at the back of a pamphlet that there are 500 covered parts, and leaves a small paragraph of what is not covered including Spark Plugs...the essential wear and tear item list!
The TSB does discuss issue and repair. But real world thinking. Plugs will truly be due before the Mfg service interval. Simply said, it is dirty air and ****ty fuel. The process at the dealer is easy. The customer at the time of the request for plug change is warned up front. Nine times out of ten, the recommendation along with parts and labor will include decarbonization and fuel inj cleaning. EFI service you know why it is needed. The decarbonization is what will eight out of ten times stop this plug from seizing up. They will load up the cylinder with the cleaner and with the right amount, blow the material seizing the plug clean through. It is not recommended as a means to clean the bottom of the head with any regularity. Only as needed. I personally after getting to see vehicle after vehicle enter the service bays, believe that on most vehicles (especially the 4.6 & 5.4 3 valve should change the first set a 50k then 100k.
Feed back, or just tell me to go grind gears.

TungstenCompression
Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Removing broken spark plug

Lisle Corp. makes a tool to remove broken plugs. The tool # is 65600. From everything I read, the Lisle tool works better than the one sold by Ford (Rotunda) and costs less.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:52 AM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

I changed my 05's out at 25k miles and I don't think I would've waited any longer. It made a horrible noise coming out and was very tight.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90stang5.0
I changed my 05's out at 25k miles and I don't think I would've waited any longer. It made a horrible noise coming out and was very tight.
Just did my plugs on my 05 with 21,000 miles on this pass Friday.Was worried that some of the plugs would be hard coming out or worse break then of in the head.Well, turns out
they were easier than I expected and had no problems at all.
I first started up the car and move it aroung in he garage just warn enough to the touch. I used my 1/2 drive torque wrench set to 33 ft lbs and turn a 1/8 turn on all of the plugs, no problems then use Carb cleaner and waited 1 hr, 6 of the 8 came out without any issues the two back ones needed a lillle more effort.
I was surprise to see very little carbon build up on these plugs not at all like pictures I saw of others. Maybe running a good grade of 93 Oct gas along with a custom tune prevented all the build up. I think the added leverage with the torque wrench made it easier to break the plugs loose. I also used the one peice OCT-6900 socket with build in extention to remove the plugs.
Lastly I would never let the dealer change out the plugs, what do they care if they break one or two or all of them.At 100.00 dollars a pop plus the cost of the plugs. Just spend 67.00 bucks and buy the Lisle broken spark plug removal tool. It really does work

Quick Reply: 2006 v8 spark plug problem question