Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

imposible to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
cplayero8o2
1st Gear Member

Default imposible to drive?

i have a convertible v6 now might get a gt soon, but i was wondering is it imposible to drive a mustang (2005) in the snow ? i hear a lot of things about them not being able to drive in winter and stuff like that... if so honostly i might buy a grand prix gxp, so what you guys think ?

PS i live in michigan so its really bad winter time...

thanks in advance...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: imposible to drive?

I drive my modded GT in the winter, I'm live in Michigan too. In my experience, as long as there is under 3" of snow on the ground I'm OK.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

Traction control is a must. Other than keeping the RPMs as low as possible and being careful you'll be fine. I didn't drive mine much in snow this winter, but when I did it wasn't all that bad.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cplayero8o2

i have a convertible v6 now might get a gt soon, but i was wondering is it imposible to drive a mustang (2005) in the snow ? i hear a lot of things about them not being able to drive in winter and stuff like that... if so honostly i might buy a grand prix gxp, so what you guys think ?

thanks in advance...
Mine is a daily driver with no traction control. Tires make all the difference. I run Bridgestone Blizzaks 215/65/16 and have no problems driving in Buffalo, NY. +1 to easy on the throttle, dont drive like a moron and you should be fine.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

I have driven mine in 4" of snow and as long as you keep the rpms low your fine. Oh and it does help if you have a good set of A/S tires

Last edited by simplexdesign; 12-11-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

I've made it through two Chicago winters with no problems. Snow tires are a must, though. Other than that, use common sense and drive slow and learn how to control the car when the rear end starts to wobble a bit in the deeper snow. I drove home 25 miles in a 6" snow storm and made it just fine, although it was a little nerve wracking. I wouldn't call driving a GT in traffic in the snow fun, but it's definitely doable, and will definitely weed out the smart drivers from the idiots.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

well mine is my daily driver and i drove through several 6"+ storms...tires are almost bald, too....i put 4 70lb sand bags in the trunk, though. would have been easier if it was a 5 speed probably (that's what my ranger was and had no problems in it(5spd, RWD), even though everyone thought i'd be goin nowhere)

i'm sure with new tires i'd have been a lot better off, but it was just fine...getting new tires this fall so i'll be set for this coming winter
Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 PM
S D Unger

Default RE: impossible to drive?

This past winter was my second year with my 2007 V6. Right away I bought a set of four wheels via e-bay that were take offs from a 2006. Then my local tire guy At Ronnie's Tire in Pittsburgh suggested a Mastercraft Glacier Grip II tire whichseemed to be a good value. These arenoisy but seem to work well.There is no inflation sensor in these wheelssoI have to push the reset button to remind the car that I know the tire pressure sensor isn't functioning.All that being said, I change to the winter tires at Thanksgiving weekend and can't wait to put the original Pirelli tires back on at the end of March. I'm 56 years old and learned to drive a stick shift on the hills of Pittsburgh so I really do not have difficulty in the snow that we get here. The mustang is an automatic and I suggest that anybody who wants to drive in the snow be patient but not necessarily slow. (As my dad told me it's the going part that is easiest, the stopping part is what counts.)Rear wheel drive cars want to push so it requires a feel of how the car reacts if it wants to fishtail. Front wheel cars pull you through snow so the rear wheels will not react the same way.
In general I've had no difficulty these past two years.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: impossible to drive?

Also being in upstate NY, i have owned an 04 and the current 07. to be honest, the 07 is much easier to drive in snow/slush then the SN95 was. I cant explain why, perhaps somebody here could, but it impressed me for a RRD car.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: cplayero8o2

thanks in advance...
I drove my 2006 convertible all winter - through some hellacious snow storms too on my commute from Port Huron to Detroit. No problems - in fact it is easier to control than my wife's Focus with FWD. In the 60's and 70's FWD was rare compared to today - and we always drove our RWD cars all winter - you learned how to drive in snowand how to use the throttle as part of keeping the car under control.

I even drove my wifes TransAm in the snow - a lot more power, and much lower so clearance was more of a problem.

Quick Reply: imposible to drive?