Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! 28 MPG!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:22 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wow! 28 MPG!

I love how people on this forum love to call BS on people. It's hilarious. It happens all over the internet but much more frequently on here. A friend of mine's Dad bought a Prius to drive to work etc. Well he only gets 30 mpg. To say the least, he's pissed that he bought one for over sticker and only gets 30 mpg. There are many more cars that get 30 mpg out there that look much better than the Prius, etc.

The Mustang is a performance car. 28 mpg is amazing for a performance car. I'm able to get a 26 mpg out of my car with a VMP 93 octane tune, C&L CAI with 88mm maf tube, muffler delete, Steeda UDPs, and Steeda CMCVs running 80 mph on the highway. I've never gone 65-70 mph for a long time so I'd like to see what I could get than.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

I call BS!

ORIGINAL: mortman

i did a 250 mile trip to Reno, got about the same, did the same trip in the wifes prius last yeasr and i actualy got better milage out of the stang? go figuar.....
The world revolves on BS! The latest gas mileage claims are from Vette owners who swear they get 30 mpg! Funny, the Vette doesn't show up in any high gas mileage car lists. BTW, one of the morning shows just did a stunt where one guy drove a prius from the west coast to some town in Missouri, and another guy drove a Ford Fusion from the east coast. The west coast trip was about 2250 miles and the east coast trip was 1850. The prius got 30 mpg and the Fusion got 24 mpg. I have guys that work for me who drive 85 miles an hour and claim they get 39 mpg in their Corolla. BS to the nth degree.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:39 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

24 mpg in a Fusion !? Were they doing 90 mph? My Mother gets 26 mpg in her SEL 3.0 (Front Wheel Drive) and she doesn't drive slow either and that's got some city driving in there too. Do you realize that not every single car that comes out of a factory is going to get the same gas mileage?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
bmk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

i pushed 32mpg a couple of weeks ago going exactly 70 for 2.5 hours going on a downhill road
Where exactly is this 175 mile downhill stretch ?? [&:]
san antonio to houston going on I-10.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:43 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Shovelling out BS regarding fuel mileage is just weird.I don't care that my Stang gives me substantially less than 8mpg whenI hammer it and probably cruises at 25-27 on highway and i don't care who knows it.

I've yet to impress anybody [of either sex] by quoting good fuel mileage numbers [8D]

Save the BS for performance-talking-smack
Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Unless Houston lies in a previously undiscovered humungous hole, miles deep, in the Earth, I have a feeling that it isn't downhill all the way from San Antonio
Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 PM
bmk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Unless Houston lies in a previously undiscovered humungous hole, miles deep, in the Earth, I have a feeling that it isn't downhill all the way from San Antonio
my gps has shows sea level and it was going down the entire time.. my when we were leaving san antonio it was reading around 770 feet.. and in houston its only around 40-50 feet
Old 05-26-2008, 05:54 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

My point is that there is NOT a175 miledownhill stretch anywhere on the planet.

Just because point A is higher than Point B, (which, in this caseare actually 197 miles apart), it does not become a gimme thatit's a single gradient between them.

Holy Moly
Old 05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

ORIGINAL: schapman

I call BS!

ORIGINAL: mortman

i did a 250 mile trip to Reno, got about the same, did the same trip in the wifes prius last yeasr and i actualy got better milage out of the stang? go figuar.....
The world revolves on BS! The latest gas mileage claims are from Vette owners who swear they get 30 mpg! Funny, the Vette doesn't show up in any high gas mileage car lists. BTW, one of the morning shows just did a stunt where one guy drove a prius from the west coast to some town in Missouri, and another guy drove a Ford Fusion from the east coast. The west coast trip was about 2250 miles and the east coast trip was 1850. The prius got 30 mpg and the Fusion got 24 mpg. I have guys that work for me who drive 85 miles an hour and claim they get 39 mpg in their Corolla. BS to the nth degree.
C5 and C6 Corvettes do get around 30 mpg on the highway. I should know...I own one and drive it everyday. I also have a new Mustang, so I get to compare the two all the time. My best gas mileage at least 10% higher than the '06 Mustang, even when the Mustang had 3.31:1 gears.

I have an automatic C5 with 3.15:1, it's about 28 mpg (rounding down) on the highway. C5 Manuals (3.42:1) or automatics w/o the performance rear (2.73:1) get about 30 mpg. C6 Corvettes manuals and automatics regularly get close to or above 30 mpg.

Here's what Corvete owners aren't telling you. It gets about 30 mpg on the HIGHWAY. That's 100% highway driving. Gas mileage around the city isn't anything to brag about, it's somewhere in the teens.

My combined mileage is about 21 or 22 mpg. It's still probably about 10% higher than when my GT was stock. Still, we're only talking about a difference of 20 mpg and 21 or 22 mpg in combined mileage. Not Earth shattering. (Originally, the automatic C5 was rated at 25 highway/17 city, the manual at 27 highway/18 city)

The answer is easy: great aerodynamics, low weight and low rpm when cruising thanks to a six speed manual or six speed automatic (1,200 rpm to 1,500 or so in the C6 auto I drove).

Mustangs get excellent mileage when you consider it's a 300 horsepower V8 with 3500 lbs. I'm hoping to see a six speed auto in the refresh, the car would get even better mileage.

Personally, I think the new EPA mileage numbers are too conservative. It has my Mustang GT automatic at 22 mpg (originally 23 mpg on the sticker). I would reguarly see 25 or 26 mpg, when it was stock. Combined mileage has always been about 20 mpg or so, which is exactly what the original window sticker said I'd get.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

30 mpg can be done with our V8 Mustangs. Just check out this site talking about Hypermiling. I don't go to these extremes but I have slowed down to 55 mph on the highway and take off much more slowly. I'm doing it mainly to save money on gas. I'll still hit it and go from zero to 60 in 5 seconds every once in a while but mostly, I've slowed down for general driving. My last trip going 125 miles one way mostly on interstate highways was 32 mpg. I slow down and shift to neutral and glide down hills. My current tank of gas has been about half city and half highway and the mpg is around 27-28. I'm granny driving/hypermiling to do this though.

Quick Reply: Wow! 28 MPG!