Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood popped on the freeway !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Default RE: Hood popped on the freeway !!

pascal showed me a mod he did where he weakened the spring that pops the hood up a little bit so that he wouldnt have to slam down his aluminum hood

seems like that would work for this too
Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Not necessarely...
Hood poping up has nothing to do with the latch spring.
Once the latch trigger is locked in, the spring is out of the equation.

When the stricker (u shape part that is on the hood) is not aligned properly with the latch, it will drag on the latch housing hard enough to keep the hood down and make you think that the hood is closed, but it isn't really. The trigger isn't locked around the striker.
So, once the speed of the car create enough air lift, the hood will pop and you therefore, sh#t your pence.
Are you kids following? I ain't repeating!

Those cars are still too new for latch wear, so I'll blame those occurences on misalignment from the factory.
Either you slam your hood harder (I hate this), or tap the striker a bit with a hammer to the right direction so it falls in the middle of the latch.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Ever since new, when going over 70, my hood on the driver's side lifts an inch or two, nothing drastic, but you see it wanna go up! First time, I pulled over to check, still latched. I just ignore it now.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Black Billet Shelby pins are going on this weekend...
Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
BlackStang21
1st Gear Member

[align=left]Had this happen to me about a month after a bought it. Driving down the road doing 70 and the hood popped up until the latch caught it...had me about to crap my pants. I mean my stomach dropped. I hadn't been doing anything under the hood to cause it do this, but it hasn't done it since. At times though my hood will shake and rise a little if I'm doing about 70-80 on the highway. My only explanation was that the air flowing under the lip of the hood was enough to cause the hood to rise up. So soon I'll be investing in some hood pins. Besides I love the way they look and it's a good excuse to get them. Man do we look for alot of excuses to spend money on mods for these cars.
[/align]
Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdg

you'll love em - i've got a pair, too. and here's some advice:

1. the black does tend to wear off a bit; i think it's actually from road debris striking the flat black part. i've considered getting some black touch up paint of some kind to keep it lookin fresh.
2. idk if this'll bother you, but the lanyards will scratch your clear coat eventually, no matter what. i wasn't happy about it, so i went out and bought this liquid rubber stuff. i got it at ace hardware, but i'm sure any home improvement place will carry the stuff. it comes inan aluminum can and is intended for tools, i.e., if you have a wrench that has no rubber grip, you dip the handles in this stuff and five minutes later, volia! instant rubber grip! i think it worked exceedingly well, and i get no more scratches. the only downside (?) is that the lanyards are black now (i tihnk they make the stuff in yellow and red, too), but i happen to like it a lot.

here's a pic (and please note, i have since lowered the pins to the appropriate height; in this image they're wayyy too high up. now the cross pins actually sit flush to the black billet/hood):

Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: ink003

ORIGINAL: mdg

you'll love em - i've got a pair, too. and here's some advice:

1. the black does tend to wear off a bit; i think it's actually from road debris striking the flat black part. i've considered getting some black touch up paint of some kind to keep it lookin fresh.
2. idk if this'll bother you, but the lanyards will scratch your clear coat eventually, no matter what. i wasn't happy about it, so i went out and bought this liquid rubber stuff. i got it at ace hardware, but i'm sure any home improvement place will carry the stuff. it comes inan aluminum can and is intended for tools, i.e., if you have a wrench that has no rubber grip, you dip the handles in this stuff and five minutes later, volia! instant rubber grip! i think it worked exceedingly well, and i get no more scratches. the only downside (?) is that the lanyards are black now (i tihnk they make the stuff in yellow and red, too), but i happen to like it a lot.

here's a pic (and please note, i have since lowered the pins to the appropriate height; in this image they're wayyy too high up. now the cross pins actually sit flush to the black billet/hood):

Thanks for the info. Yours looks great. I've been waiting three weeks to install these bad boys. Time to start recharging the drill and busting out the bits. Will post pictures when it's done.