Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes X or H pipe owners, need help please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default Pypes X or H pipe owners, need help please...

I know a guy that is selling a Pypes O/R X-pipe for $40. He is unsure how many miles were on the car it came off of, but he assured me it was "at most 15,000". He said that the only problem he can see with it is that the bungs for the O2 sensors are a little messed up. He said that you really need to force the sensors in.

Should I go ahead and buy this and deal with the possible messed up bungs? Or should I walk away?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:10 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: Pypes X or H pipe owners, need help please...

I just installed an O/R H pipe today from Pypes...
Leave it to a pro[8D].
Welding is required and trimming of the "H" has to be done. It was twice as wide as the OEM one.
The clamps are dirt cheap and it's a hit or miss as far as leaks.
I ended up heating one clamp till bright red in order to give it the correct shape, by the bolt.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

This is the X-pipe, not the H-pipe. I figured since it already came off of another car, I probably has decent/acceptable fitment.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:18 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

I agree with Pascal. I installed the off road X on my V6 and it took me FOREVER just to get it in. I had to take it to a shop about a week later because the crappy clamps shook loose. I had the whole system welded up so im nice and tight now. modificatons had to be made to the over axle pipes so everything would fit properly.

But it does sound kick ***!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I am mostly concerned with the bungs being messed up.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

The quality on my or/h was terrible. The price is good, but the bubgs for the o2 sensors would be a problem. That comp. does some real schotty work,imo. If I had to do it all over again, i would have been happy to spend more and get a quality product like a prochamber, not quality in this brand.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

I have the offroad X, the pieces that have the O2 bungs in them are seperate from the x itself, you may be able to clean up the threads a bit and it may work quite well.

My Pypes o/r X fit quite well and was a quick install. My headers were expotentially longer to install, (I did them both on the same day) If the guy is local go take a gander at it, if not might be worth 40 bucks or ask him to lower it some. You can buy those down pipes off pypes anyway if they are Fubar'd up, and can't be fixed.

As far as milage goes, I wouldn't sweat it as it's a SS system and there should really be no issue with 15000 miles. Let me throw this out to ya though, if you have SLP axle backs you might want to throw in some high flow cats, the noise level with Pypes Shorties, O/R X and SLP LM axle backs is a tad on the extremely loud side. I put in high flo's so I didn't get pulled over and then sited over nonsense.

OH yeah all the quality issues, i'm not sure about it, I thought the welds were quite nice, even my father a 35 year welder said how nice they were and the X Pipe was very well done. Maybe the H is different, but Pypes is a Pennsylvania Company and the system I purchased is top notch.

Good Luck anyway
Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Tell him you'll buy the X pipe cheaper and he can keep his messed up downpipes because you can probably buy replacements.

My personal opinion...... unless the threads are ruined, I don't see how the bungs can be messed up unless they are totally unuseable. What does he mean "force them in"????? They screw in! I'd ask to see it or a picture of it.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:24 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Tell him you'll buy the X pipe cheaper and he can keep his messed up downpipes because you can probably buy replacements.

My personal opinion...... unless the threads are ruined, I don't see how the bungs can be messed up unless they are totally unuseable. What does he mean "force them in"????? They screw in! I'd ask to see it or a picture of it.
exactly how can the bungs be messed up, its something that is screwed in so if the thread is stripped completlyI dunno what he means by force them in....

otherwise its a easy install I have done the x and a few h pipes all on jack stands or ramps and it was easy, lil bit of adjusting but its even a do it yaself job no need for a 2nd person, its nice but not needed.

guess its hit or miss with these
Old 06-12-2008, 01:18 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

I guess for 40$ you cant go all that wrong!

Quick Reply: Pypes X or H pipe owners, need help please...