Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Weed Racer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Brake Question

All good questions, thanks.

I did turn the pistons in (clockwise)...they wouldn't budge otherwise, and the pin on the back of the pad is engaged into one of the slots on the face of the piston.

It's hard to say how far out of parallel they are, but I plan to yank a wheel this weekend and get a feeler gauge in there to see.

I'm sure they will wear in eventually, in fact, the contact patch seems to get a hair wider every day implying that its already happening.

I torqued the caliper bolts according to spec (85 ft. lbs.), but used an impact gun on the lug nuts and final snugged them with a lug wrench (torque unknown).

As far as piston travel is concerned, I believe that they are free and travelling correctly. Of course, the pad I'm looking at from the outside isn't the one in contact with the piston.

I do plan to look to see if this condition exists on the inner surface as well once I get a wheel off.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

To be honest I think the metallic pads you have and the way they are shaped (angled) for the rear brakes is normal. As the pads wear that contact patch will get wider until the whole pad is in contact with the rotor. For safety I would check it out and road test again after and let us know your results but IMO you are fine and if they feel like they have more bite then before than the upgrade was worth it. Others will chime in but I would not worry........ JMO J
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Weed Racer
1st Gear Member

Hmm,

I don't remember the pads being deliberately "angled", but I wasn't looking for that at the time.

The car stops unbelieveably well...better pedal feel and grab than I have ever felt before....EVER.

There is a "feel" though that I might have mentioned in my initial post. I am attributing it to the slots in the rotors minutely surfacing the face of the pad with each rotation of the rotor. Lets face it....if there is a certain texture on the rotor surfaces, there's no reason to expect things to not feel a bit different. I spoke to a friend at work who has a Porsche 911 with D/S brakes and he said the same thing.

It's not an abnormal feel or anything seeming wrong, just different than stock, and I fully expected it to feel different since the rotor faces and pad material are so different than stock.

Having had the stock brakes on the car for such an unusuallylong time, I got used to the slowly degenerating situation, so this is like night and day, and for $300 bucks delivered for all 4 wheels, you can't beat that with a stick!

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, and I will update as needed.