Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Bondsy

Default Where do I begin?

I just posted in the New Members section about my car. I just turned 16 today (well yesterday, it's 1am) and I got a new 2008 V6 Mustang with the Pony Package and Ambient Lighting-(that was hard to find).
Now I wanted a GT but my father thought I'd be drag racing so I had to downgrade.

I have to compensate. Since I don't have the exact car I want (don't get me wrong, I freaking LOVE my V6) I need to make it as BA as I possibly can.

So far on my list is:
Hood Scoop- GT look
Exhaust- Make it sound nice but not wake the neighbors
Window Tints- Dark as can be (already paid though)
Dark Silver Twin Bar Stripes- really just need to know a place around Roswell, GA to get that

Only a week ago I was looking into a 2008 Toyota Tundra but I changed my mind when I saw a sweet looking Shelby roll down the street. I knew everything I needed about my truck and had plans on where to buy the upgrades. I only had a week to think about my Stang and most of that time was spent shopping for the car itself.
I have no idea where to get any of this stuff, how to install it, and what additions I'm missing!

I want this thing to be beautiful but I'm just lost. I am a spoiled child and the window tints are already paid for. My price range is unpredictable but I can get it pretty high, just don't want to go all out.

Also any other improvements would be welcomed, it doesn't all have to be about exterior!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:28 AM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Where do I begin?

Congrats, I'd get a cold air intake and tune before you do exhaust work though. Are you looking for performance or looks?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I used to live in Roswell!
Yes, cold air intake & tune would be my first mod. Idk if your parents would allow that though since they are afraid of you racing. I know it took me a whole year to convince the 'rents to let me buy performance mods.
www.ponybuilder.com (I hope that link works, I'm on my phone) It will give you a general idea of what you like on your car. Of course that doesn't include all the aftermarket possibilities... They are basically endless.
www.americanmuscle.com is a reliable place to order stuff. And if you're a detail guy, MGW (I forgot the name of their website) has very high quality interior pieces to replace some of the cheap ***** and things. The possibilities are endless & there is lots of good information and ideas on this site.
Good luck!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Bondsy

Performance wouldn't hurt, I don't care about racing, but I wouldn't mind some better acceleration (if it's cheap, not priority). My main purpose is looks and sound which I literally know nothing about. Apparently my first stop is to get a cold air intake and tune.

I know nothing about cars but I know a ton more than my parents, so they won't know what is what, they just V8= power. I doubt air intake would be a problem if it's a good mod.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Congratulations on the new ride!! Sounds like you've got a good plan started...

And, welcome to the forums - with a word of advice: very soon, someone will likely chime in that "you are too young to have this car" or "you're spoiled because your parents bought it for you" or some other jealous rant. Expect this to happen, but just try not to take it seriously.

Aside from all that, this forum is a great place to get a lot of good info. Enjoy your Stang!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Bondsy

Thanks, I do feel welcomed. I didn't want to lie about my age because well, you all seem like you'd be happy to help me out with no prejudice. I know I am spoiled, I agree and anyone who says so is just pointing out the obvious, haha. I hope to be a very active member and would love to get to know my car better and learn all there is about mustangs!

Thanks everyone for the help so far, I've already learned so much!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah people always say cold air intake (cai) & tune was their best mod and is usually their first. The tune part is kind of confusing to new people who dont know alot about cars. I know it took me a long time to understand what it was. Of course the intake just provides better airflow to the engine, but the tune is what makes the major change. Cai/tunes are often sold in package deals on the Internet. The two most popular places to get them are bamachips and brenspeed.
I would get yours from bamachips, considering its in AL and you're in GA... You'd get it faster.
The tune is loaded into a handheld programming device that you plug in under your dashboard. You load the tune into the car which clears the factory computer settings and reloads it with a custom setup. The factory tune is then uploaded into the handheld device, so you can return to stock in minutes. If you have an automatic, it will shift insanely fast when you've got your foot to the floor. Mine shifts so hard it chirps the tires and bangs my head back, lol. It also dramatically increases throttle response (barely touch the pedal and it goes) and generally gives it a boost in horsepower.
... Hope all that didnt confuse you.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Bondsy

Wow I know I said my parents weren't too bright about cars but $500 for a performance piece is asking a lot... time to get a job.
Thanks for the information. I will save up and buy that myself if it really does help acceleration.

Also thanks 07BLACKGT, that pony builder site helps a lot. That exterior stuff is a lot less expensive than I thought!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Welcome and congrats on the new car.
If you have an automatic, you should get your tuner intake combo from Doug at bamachips.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 AM
Bondsy

Well I've done some quick research and so far I have this.

Hood Scoop:
XENON 2005-2007 MUSTANG HOOD SCOOP- $100.95
[hr]Side Scoop: XENON 2005-2007 MUSTANG QUARTER C SCOOP, 2-piece Kit, LH & RH- $122.35
[hr]Front Bumper: SSE 2005-2007 MUSTANG FRONT FACIAS, 2005 Mustang V6 Front Fascia- $410.95[hr]Exhaust: Magnaflow Axleback Exhaust System (2005+ Mustang V6)- $298.99
Now the exhaust I'm confused on. What I was told was that I needed to get a new air intake and tune. Are these necessary for the exhaust to work or can they not be installed after the exhaust is in?
[hr]If I can then I'll get the exhaust first over the air intake/tune since appearance is priority and also it'll take a bit to come up with the money for the intake upgrade. But that's basically the cheapest I found that look the best from the sites that were given to me.

Tell me if there's something I need before these upgrades and also what you think about them. Many thanks!

Quick Reply: Where do I begin?