Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There a way ro get the 4.0 a 12second et without FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a way to get the 4.0 a 12sec ET w/o FI

Same can be said for the guys here than FI the 4.6... why not get a car with real displacement, like the GT500.. or just get a Dodge. It's all about the love for Mustangs and the fun in making it your own. People have different priorities with regard to money. Some have more to play with than others.. and some just want to spend their money on different things... some just like to buy a cheap car and make it a track monster.

To answer the question.... it would be way cheaper to just slap on an xcharger (put you in 13s), or turbo (12s) as long as you are smart about what supporting mods you choose.

Getting off the subject in a way....

A CAI + tune, better exhaust, gears/t-lok will put you well into the 14 second range.. which is better than most people get with v8s due to variations in driving ability.

Most of the people I know who brag about how fast there car is can't actually drive well enough to take advantage of the extra power. I have embarrased a few kids driving GT's, especially the ones who put low profile tires on their big 20 inch rims; it's funny watching them spin while I pull away. The cars were a full second faster than mine on paper.. but it does not matter what your car can do if you don't know how to use it.

The driver mod alone will make a big difference.

My point..?

Unless you are going to the track often, and have specific goals with regard to times, it would be better idea to concentrate on some simple goals now, and just plan a good mod list/schedual. If the car is a daily driver, it's really not going to matter if your car runs a theoretical 12 or 13 sec quarter mile...

If you want fun now, at the very least you need a locking differential and a tune/CAI combo.

The CAI/Tune/Gears w/ t-lok option will completely transform the car.

And the most fun, from what I have heard, is the low end brute and whine of the x-charger, which would put you past a GT.

Sorry for the babbling.. I'm at work and want to go home.

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

I don't want to ignite a v6 versus v8 argument, although i do feel it's brewing... Anyway, my point is this. If you have the funds to modify a 6-er to run like a stock V8, I would ask why you don't save yourself the aggravation and just buy an 8.
OK, there is an amount of Kudos in running with the V8's [in a 6-er] but that's very short lived stardom.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I am going to reply to this against my better judgment. Not offended mind you.. but I just don't understand the argument.

My perspective?

Well.... not everyone "wants" a muscle car.. in fact.. there are many people that don't think a Mustang GT is a muscle car.. especially with a 4.6l engine. Ever hear of "Pony Car"?

The 4.0 has decent displacement for 6 banger.. and in fact sounds (it can), and feels a lot like some of the smaller v8s used back in the day of "real" muscle cars. In fact, the current 4.0 is faster than many of the v8s of old that most of us drool over at car shows.

So my question to you: is it not speed and potential... the fun of modding that matter? Or, is there something else that creates what I would call an irrational "fear" of the v6 Mustang. I ask because I am curious and want to understand. I mean, there are people that claim to love Mustangs, but would buy an import over a v6 Mustang due to some fear that they will be less of a man. It just seems strange to me.

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

I know people are going to get offended by the following comment, but this is my opinion and I wish to express it. Take it for what its worth!

I will never understand why there is anything less than a V8 in a Mustang. If you want a muscle car.... then buy a muscle car! In my opinion the Mustang is an American icon and is one of the few remaining muscle cars out there. If people are that concerned with fuel and insurance costs then maybe a muscle car is not right for you, try a sport compact or something.

Then you have the group of folks who SAID they bought it for fuel economy but then end up dropping fat wads of cash to make it keep up with a stock GT only to find out that the V8 gets better mileage after all those mods! Should have saved the money and bought the GT
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

Same can be said for the guys here than F/I the 4.6... why not get a car with real displacement, like the GT500.. or just get a Dodge. It's all about the love for Mustangs and the fun in making it your own. People have different priorities with regard to money. Some have more to play with than others.. and some just want to spend their money on different things... some just like to buy a cheap car and make it a track monster.
A GT500 IS F/I, in case you didn't know. A N/A 5.4 wouldn't run with an F/I'd 4.6 anyway. Which Dodge? The Fat, slow, ugly, 12-sandwich-eating Charger? lmaoGood advice for us F/I scum there.....

To answer the question.... it would be way cheaper to just slap on an xcharger (put you in 13s), or turbo (12s) as long as you are smart about what supporting mods you choose.
he already said he didn't want to go F/I

A CAI + tune, better exhaust, gears/t-lok will put you well into the 14 second range.. which is better than most people get with v8s due to variations in driving ability.
He wants into the 12's, not the 14's [&:]

Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Why the hostility?

I know the 500 is supercharged.. but it also has a bigger engine..

When people argue that a v6 is less of a car, I assume they are referring to engine size as the reason. That's why I mention two cars with bigger engines; the 5.4 and the 5.7 Hemi. By your argument, those are better cars because they have bigger engines... and to some.. they are. The dodge needs it though... because, as you correctly pointed out.. they are heavy pigs. My brother's SRT Jeep gets the same quarter mile times (stock) as a mustang GT.. even though it is awd (better traction) and is 400hp/tq.

"lmaoGood advice for us F/I scum there..... "

I don't think you are scum.. I would love to be FI too.

" A N/A 5.4 wouldn't run with an F/I'd 4.6 anyway. "

And a N/A 4.6 would not run with an FI'd 4.0.... Or a turbo'd 4 banger... your supporting my point?

"he already said he didn't want to go F/I"

Well... it would be cheaper, safer, and easier to do it with FI.... Just pointing that out.

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Same can be said for the guys here than F/I the 4.6... why not get a car with real displacement, like the GT500.. or just get a Dodge. It's all about the love for Mustangs and the fun in making it your own. People have different priorities with regard to money. Some have more to play with than others.. and some just want to spend their money on different things... some just like to buy a cheap car and make it a track monster.
A GT500 IS F/I, in case you didn't know. A N/A 5.4 wouldn't run with an F/I'd 4.6 anyway. Which Dodge? The Fat, slow, ugly, 12-sandwich-eating Charger? lmaoGood advice for us F/I scum there.....

he already said he didn't want to go F/I

He wants into the 12's, not the 14's [&:]

Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Same can be said for the guys here than FI the 4.6... why not get a car with real displacement, like the GT500.. or just get a Dodge. It's all about the love for Mustangs and the fun in making it your own. People have different priorities with regard to money. Some have more to play with than others.. and some just want to spend their money on different things... some just like to buy a cheap car and make it a track monster. \
Comparing a GT500 to GT with FI is a stupid comparision becuase of the price difference

Comparing a FI V6 to that of a slightly modded non-fi V8 is about the same cost wise and probably even performance wise also
Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Just to follow your point. I bought a GT, because the style is different, the engine is different, the rear end, and just about everything mechanical except the trans. Not to mention, the V8 rumble. Sure, a V6 can be made fast. But, some people say, well, my sixxer gets better gas mileage, then drops 4K on a sixxer, only to run high 12's, and gets worse gas mileage then a bolt-on GT and is not as fast.

Where I live, there are a ton of sixxers. They all think they are the king of the roads, and burn rubber and race everyone, especially my old 07 S/C'ed. Some have the ***** to say my GT is slow, and too heavy to keep up. Others, think a full-bolt-on sixxer can take a S/C'ed GT. Then again ,GT owners think they are god to. It goes both ways. But, from what I've seen, a lot of people that own sixxers are hypocrites. They buy a V6 for gas mileage, then put an exhaust and intake on it. Either that, or they buy it because it's cheap, and drop a ton of cash into making it faster then a GT. Who knows man. Let's just stay on thread, and not let it turn into a V6 VS V8 war.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Wow, this is getting hot!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM
King Taco

this argument will surely get the OP into the twelves....
Old 06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is There a way ro get the 4.0 a 12second et without FI

Gut out your car completely. No interior. Need to spend bout 20gs building your motor with very high compression plus a sick tune using 100 plus octane.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

in the end, you would have been better off with the 4.6 than the 4.......by the time you do all these mods, you are well above the price of a stock gt...i don't care if the mustang is a 6 or 8...
everyone arguing about the same thing,mustangs.lol it's time to wake up and prepare for the camaro ss, challenger, and the 2010 mustang.....those are going to have easily tunable motors with huge gains and less money,plus more displacement(at least the dodge will)

Quick Reply: Is There a way ro get the 4.0 a 12second et without FI