Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI/tune starter course?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Default CAI/tune starter course?

I'll start off by saying my mech ability is limited, at best and a limited knowledge (thanks to MF mostly) about this stuff. Also, if the info I'm looking for is already somewhere just point me to it (search is broken). Thanks for bearing w/ me.

Stock 07 GT w/ very low miles. I'm thinking of adding a CAI/tune just for funs sake, no racing of any kind. I'd like to do the work myself andhopefully learn something. Is it really as easy as it seems? All people on here say it is but their opinions are certainly clouded (focused?) by their own superior abilities/knowledge.

I know the question has beenasked many times and will probably generate a big range of answers but for adoofus like me, what is the ideal set up and place to buy? I want something proven, from a place with great support before and after the sale. I won't be able to deal with anything that causes problems.

I usually use local private shop for work soI normally won't have to worry but if I have to go back to dealer for anything warranty related I assume I'll have to remove everything? How big a deal is that?

If it's out of my league, say so, it won't hurt. I am what I am and the car is great as it is.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI/tune starter course?

ORIGINAL: ckone0814

I'll start off by saying my mech ability is limited, at best and a limited knowledge (thanks to MF mostly) about this stuff. Also, if the info I'm looking for is already somewhere just point me to it (search is broken). Thanks for bearing w/ me.

Stock 07 GT w/ very low miles. I'm thinking of adding a CAI/tune just for funs sake, no racing of any kind. I'd like to do the work myself andhopefully learn something. Is it really as easy as it seems? All people on here say it is but their opinions are certainly clouded (focused?) by their own superior abilities/knowledge.

I know the question has beenasked many times and will probably generate a big range of answers but for adoofus like me, what is the ideal set up and place to buy? I want something proven, from a place with great support before and after the sale. I won't be able to deal with anything that causes problems.

I usually use local private shop for work soI normally won't have to worry but if I have to go back to dealer for anything warranty related I assume I'll have to remove everything? How big a deal is that?

If it's out of my league, say so, it won't hurt. I am what I am and the car is great as it is.

Thanks.
I too have limited mechanical ability. I installed my CAI/tune in about an hour in my driveway with basic hand tools (sockets, wrenches, screw drivers). I bought the combo from Brenspeed and the customer service was superb! 5000 miles later and no issues whatsoever. I say go for it

edit: and don't let my mod list fool you. I only installed the CAI/tune myself. paid pro's to do the rest lol
Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

It's a simple install as long as you can just read directions. I have no doubt that you can do this mod with ease.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

+1...easiest install by far, if you are confident in your local shop, buy you a tuner and take it to them get a custom dyno. if not, then just order the tuner package from brenspeed (they have that proven rep that you were asking about).

also, you shouldnt have to put everything back to stock to take it to the dealer as they can not void your warranty simply by having aftermarkets...they have to prove that the problem you are having is directly related to the issue you are having. at that case, simply remove it, tune it back to stock, and take it back to a different dealer.

fair warning...once you get your CAI/tune on, your car is really going to wake up. make sure you have some fundage set aside to purchase more aftermarkets to see just how much you can get out of your stang...at that point, come back and there are plenty of us who are more than willing to help[8D]
Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yes, very easy install. Take your time, read the directions first. Nothing there that's earthshattering. The hardware install took me about 1 hour and I was being very cautious. But once you've done it, you can swap the stock back in in very little time if need be. The tune itself is plug-'n-play. Just follow the prompts. That takes maybe 2 minutes.

Brenspeed, Bama and VMP are some of the excellent vendors that sell the combos AND have great tech and customer support. There's some excellent info on the Brenspeed site including some how-to videos. Feel free to call any of them and simply ask questions. They'll put your mind at ease.

As far as which CAI to buy, they're all equivalent in performance. Choose one that suits your wallet and eyes.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Back N Black
2nd Gear Member

The install really is the simplest I've ever done on any car. I'm pretty mechanically savy and it took me about ten minutes once I had read the directions a couple of times just to be sure I had all the information. After I read the instructions I never had to read them again, it is that simple and straight forward. All of the pieces can pretty much only go in one way. It's like grranimals for your car.

Call either Brenspeed or Bamachips. I went with Bama but as you can see many people are just as happy with Brenspeed. I truly don't think you could go wrong either way.

If you have any more questions feel free to post up or pm me.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:17 AM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

Yes it's easy, even a caveman could do it.

You can disassemble this whole car with hand tools for the most part.

Just do it.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Back N Black

one way. It's like grranimals for your car.
with a name like "Back N Black" and reference to "Grranimals" you' may bedating yourself!

maybe not though, i thought i heard Grranimals were back.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

OKso I'm looking at the BBK/Brenspeed package.

Anything I need to know or any advice before I do?

How about tunes? I will never race it, it's a weekend/fun car only. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I assembled and installed my Steeda intake. Struggled a bit removing the vacuum hose from the stock intake tube, and had to dig deep in the tool box for the star driver that fit the air sensor screws.[&:]

Quick Reply: CAI/tune starter course?