Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Octane Fuel Read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Default RE: High Octane Fuel Read!

What color residue was on your plugs? Red plugs mean too much octane.

A buddy ofminethat has a fully built Honda 450Rquad. (57hp at the rear wheels and geared for nearly 90 miles an hour.) and isin the process of tuning itfor the Pikes PeakInternational Hill Climbcoming up soon. The plugs kept turning red on him. Itold him to stop using that 110 octane and try using 100 octane leaded instead. I think it worked for him.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I would switch to 93 instead of Ultra 94.Try to buy a high volume station in a highincome areawith lots of cars that require Premium.

If you need extra octane 1/2 Bottle of Lucas Octane Booster per tank ($9 a bottle) should bump you to 94.5-95 octane.
(Indepedent testing showed it raised 93 to 96.6 at a 100:1 treat ratio. You would be more like 271:1 on the 1st tank)

Only issue is that their is some debate about the long term effects of MMT on Cats.
Ford says it can cause issues at 100,000+ miles.
MMT suppliers argue that because the test was run at constant rpm it isnt valid.
Have their own test claiming increased Cat efficiency with MMT.

I use it time to time when I get a bad tank of 93 (Hitting Knock Sensor) and it does allow full timing.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule

If you are running the stock tune, there is no reason on earth to go beyond 87 octane.
Actually both Ford Powertrain Engineering at the 2005 intro stated and repeated dyno test show these cars make 4-6 hp more on 93 than 87. This is one of the tricks aftermarket companies use to show bigger gains for their products. They test stock on 87 and then the mods on 93.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:57 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I would not use an octance booster. Stick with 93 octane and like another member said get it in a high traffic area and were many cars use preminum. Regardless you may have had some bad gas but if it was 4 weeks old or 12 weeks old the gas should be OK for use unless the gas station itself is run down and the tanks that store the gas were letting ground water or sand and dirt into the tanks. I run BP 93 octance all the time ans she runs better and better as the miles get put on the Whipple.... so far so good. Oh and never buy gas if you see a tanker at the gas station or leaving the gas station. It increases the risk of getting sediment that was stirred up from the force of the "new gas" being delivered into the tanks. This is a known fact.....
Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

well guys. Sunoco fills 2 underground tanks at their stations. One with 93 (or 94 in some areas)and the other with 86. When you buy gas they blend the gas as it comes out of the pump. So they theory about the high octane sitting longer is not true.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:54 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: topbliss

well guys. Sunoco fills 2 underground tanks at their stations. One with 93 (or 94 in some areas)and the other with 86. When you buy gas they blend the gas as it comes out of the pump. So they theory about the high octane sitting longer is not true.
It's not a theory - it's fact according to station owners. However, the amount of time it's sittingin the tanks is not long enough for it to go bad.

Martin
Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

Im not gonna argue with you... My family member owns a Sunoco and its almost impossible for high octane gas to go bad in the tanks.. Unless NO ONE ever uses anything above 86..

ORIGINAL: mhconley

ORIGINAL: topbliss

It's not a theory - it's fact according to station owners. However, the amount of time it's sittingin the tanks is not long enough for it to go bad.

Martin
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

how many of us use stock tunes or 87 oct tunes
I still am[&o]
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

The weirdest thing about this story is how long it took for someone to pull a plug! Hesitation or missing should be a real good indication there's a spark problem. First two things to check are fire and fuel.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:33 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

I just recently switched gass stations. Actualy im on my first tank from the new mobil. I started geting very ****y fuel economy a few weeks ago. I was geting aroun 15mpg city witch used to be 18-19. I also noticed my car hesitates. I started worrying. so I put in some fuel injector cleaner and tried the same old gas station. It got slightly better but, still bad. Now I tried this newly built mobil station. The economy has gone way up. Now im geting 20mpg. I cant belive what diference a new gas station with decent tanks can do. All it takes is a bit of water and sand and your screwed.

Quick Reply: High Octane Fuel Read!