Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump hick ups

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Default fuel pump hick ups

im going turbo with in the next 2 months. I have always had the hick up issue,while cruising at a good speed,i gun it and for a second the car just dies before it picks up,just like a hick up.now once i go turbo i can not have this happen at all,could be very costly.i thought there was a tsb for it but im not sure.

anyone who has had this issue, have you been able to solve it completly? i do not want to invest in a $700 gt500 pump.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel pump hick ups

Funny this came up just today. Normal driving around town I've *never* had this happen. However I took the car on a highway cruise today and twice after slowing it down it stuttered while attempting to accelerate. It happened twice but there were also several times when I slowed down and it did not happen. So it isn't really consistent. I think it's more likely to happen if you've been hanging at or near a certain speed for a long period of time.

TSB 06-09-09

I may or may not take my car in for this. Eventually I want to go with a Whipple so I'll probably dump the stock fuel pump anyway. But that's a few years away so I'm kinda waffling on whether to bother with it or not.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

no one else this issue,anyone know a fix,or anyione who did the TSB and it fixed it?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

Bartow Ford (I know you know it, lol) did mine a couple months ago, have not had this problem since

For good measure, I left a copy of the TSB on the passenger seat when I took it lol.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:31 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

one eyed *****.....if going turbo get the GT500 pumps IMO and it will help to safe guard aginst this for sure. A hiccup for FI can be disastrous IMO.....I remember saying the same thing in the thread in the 4.6L section. The stock pump is great but if it is already doing this try to get it fixed with TSB out on this.....tell them it happens after a cruise on the freeway and not all the time and hopefully they will just replace it!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey *****, there is no fix per say, except for
replacing the 05/06 stock pump. many
people had theirs replaced under warranty
and others have just replaced it when going
with the gt500 kit (like myself).

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

no one else this issue,anyone know a fix,or anyione who did the TSB and it fixed it?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I would just get the GT500 fuel pumps or a different fuel pump with a boost a pump
Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I would seriously consider the advice the FI boys have given so you can prevent costly repairs in the future.... JMO
Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

So if your fuel pump breaks and you have FI then what happens? Because fuel pumps do break. Seems like you have a ticking time bomb at that point then. Yes?
Old 06-22-2008, 12:03 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

So if your fuel pump breaks and you have FI then what happens? Because fuel pumps do break. Seems like you have a ticking time bomb at that point then. Yes?
kinda,if you loose pressure while boosting you will run very lean,breaking a piston or two. if not under boost then it wont really hurt anything.

i hear you guys on the gt500 pump,its just sooooo expensive,jeez,btw... i have an 07, should i be having these issues with the stock pump or was this suppose to have been already fixed?

what would be great is if there was a another aftermarket pump for less than $200,no one knows of one?

Quick Reply: fuel pump hick ups