Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Save Gas...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default Best Way to Save Gas...

Just drive the speed limit as much as you can tolerate.

I normally don't preach... but this is such an easy thing to do. It's the kind of thing that would actually have long-term gains if everybody tried it.

My daily commute recently changed from 6 miles city to 40 highway. While I was getting 18mpg speeding down the highway for no particular reason, I did the math and realized how much money I was wasting.

Aside: That said... I bought this car to have fun.. and I still do.. I just do it at the right times.. which makes it even more fun.

I decided to drive the speed limit for a week... No rushing up to stop lights just to wait.. and getting in the right or 2nd from right lane and put the cruise on at 56 or 62, depending on the speed limit.

At first, it was excruciating.. now.. I actually enjoy it. I pick a few songs to listen to, and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Best part.. I get to work in pretty much the same amount of time...within 10 minutes..... and I am averaging an extra 100 miles per tank compared what I was getting before.

I also noticed how crazy people were on the highway.. cutting people off.. no blinker when changing 3 lanes.. and.. after all of that "effort".. they get stuck at the same stop light as me. Probably beating me to the garage by 60 seconds.

Sorry for being annoying.. I just don't understand why people are coming up with complicated gas saving methods.. and the media is promoting them.. when all you really have to do is chill when your just going to work or out for the day.. and go the speed limit.

Flame away.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Way to Save Gas...

I can't stand it when they show those people who turn their cars off at intersections or when coasting to a stop. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. I can't wait for someone to get in a crash or get killed because they turned their car off while braking or at a light and didn't have any power for braking, accelerating, turning, etc. I'd love to see that lawsuit.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

getting a better job is the best way to save gas.

You cant save enough to make a drastic difference when 87' hits 8 dollars a gallon, its going to be you make enough money to drive to work or you find a job closer and ride a bicycle or walk

ive been searching hard and harder for a place to find closer to work to curb the 20 mile commute each way. eventually i will find something close enough to just ride my bike to work during the week and only drive on the weekend
Old 06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Didn't buy the car to save on gas. I bought a V8, knew it was not great on gas.

I bought it to enjoy. F the $4.00 or $5.00 a gallon. I'm going to DRIVE IT!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

I totally agree...Its all in the way you drive. people complain about gas mileage, yet drive like idiots all the way down the road. Im supprised just how many people i see leaving their cars running while they go into a store! I recently took a trip to N.C in the stang and found i got better mileage just cruisng along 68mph w/cruise on rather than trying to go with the flow!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:26 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

The 7 mile commute to work is just fine for me, it's the 18 miles to my fiance's house that's the killer. I need to expedite this marriage situation...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

The 7 mile commute to work is just fine for me, it's the 18 miles to my fiance's house that's the killer. I need to expedite this marriage situation...
Yeah, that should save some money....
Old 06-24-2008, 02:42 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

a lot of mods save gas .
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

a lot of mods save gas .
Yea like a Lead Foot Delete![sm=smiley36.gif][sm=roll.gif]
Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I carpool with 3 other people. So I drive only 1 week a month (in our Durango) 22 miles each way.
The wifedrives the Mustang about 12 miles each way to work. Still, we're saving a ton. Only fill up
the Durango once a month. But carpooling is frickin boring, so once in a while, I tell them not to pick
me up, tell the wife to drive the Durango and I'll take the Stang into work.

When driving the Durango, I drive the speed limit,easy on/off the gas, no hard braking to try and conserve
as much fuel as possible. In the Mustang, I'm sorry to sayI do NONE of the above...90% of the time.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Save Gas...