Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Show prep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Show prep?

LOL, yes, I meant a small battery operated vaccum. That woud be funny, you bring your hoover canister and have no place to plug it in .

Most of the shows here in NY require the first aid kit and tool kit. It doesn't have to be anything massive. It's just a check off item on the list. Spare tire and jack are typically on most juding sheets i've seen also. On newer cars, the jusdges don't always check because they assume that you have it since it is a new car. On older cars, they are looking to see if the jack and tire are original. Again, it's just an item on a check list.

When I'm judging, I usuall check off all the itmes that apply and then when I'm done, I subtract points for checkmarks that are missing. Extra points are given for overall appearance and display. These are usually used to diffeentiat between cars that have very close scores.

Armorall works well on the hoses but I don't typically use it. I've had bad luck in previous cars using it on the interior and then having the material crack. Not havig armorall with me, tire dressing is the next best thing. I use Eagle One which is a silicone based dressing. I spray it onto a tire dressing sponge and then wipe the tire with that, followed by a dry rag to buff it down. You wind up getting a nice clean shine but not very bright. Sort of a nice clean satin finish as opposed to a jet black finish.

I don't spray a lot of tire dressing on the hoses, just a little on a rag and then wipe the hoses. When your done, use another rag to wipe it off. It gives a deep shine with no tacky residue. I wipe down the engine every time I open the hood so the dirt never gets a chance to accumulate.

Other things that help but may not be required:
- a model of your car
- a rotating table for the model
- A show poster with details about your car.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Wow....kool, thanks a lot guys for your help. I cant wait for tomorrow!!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I was deducted at my first show for not the sills but even the dust in the door jam itself (you know where you can see into the front fender) get a round duster from any store and get in there and dust away. One of the judges gave me that pointer at the first show and I rec'd "judges choice most outstanding" which is one down from "best of show" and the VP of MOCSEM Mike won best of show! (I did rely all the pointers the judge gave to me after mine was judged and he then went to get judged . Here is a pic of mine getting "judged" in the judgin lanes and the show!

ORIGINAL: owero01

don't forget to clean the door sills and under the gas cap cover. Also the under part of the hood including using a vacuum on the fire cover. You can spray the engine compartment with Simple Green, rinse and let dry. Sounds like a lot of work. It is but worth it.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:43 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

if you have time the night before pull off your wheels and clean the finder wells and the back of your wheels...
Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

that is a must and I know people in MI that got deducted points for having to much greasy armorall in the wheelwells as well! JMO but good advice! 303 protectant or Zaino perfect tire gloss will help with that as they are less greasy and repel dust and not hold onto it like armorall...... fo me I DO NOT use armorall on my stang just the DD...but thats just me maybe...oh and those wont sling off the car like other silicone filled tire dressings
ORIGINAL: 06elnr

if you have time the night before pull off your wheels and clean the finder wells and the back of your wheels...
Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I have only had my car in one show so I'm no expert. I don't recall this being mentioned here but another thing I think is important is the areas around the trunk lid and hood where water drains. I keep them cleaned out every time I wash the car. If you let the dirt build up, over time, it will be very hard to get it clean in those channels. The door jams and sills are the same situation. Of course it helps that I don't drive it in bad weather. Its not a daily driver but I drive it as often as I can. As far as the California dusters, I have 3 of them. One for the exterior painted surfaces and one for the wheels and a small one for the interior. I never use the same one for the wheels and the body. The wheel brake dust that collects in the duster will scratch the paint.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

You guys must have some VERY strict judging!
Here in CA at least, it is just other owners doing the judging. There are a few awards given out by a select number of judges, like Best Trunk, Best Engine, etc.
But in the 6 or 7 shows I've been to if you enter a Mustang you are given a sheet with all the other Personalized, Modified, Stock or Concours entries. You only give a car First, Second, and sometimes Third. No point totals are given.
I've only done Personalized and basically I would not be touching the car or getting down to check the underside or back of the gas cap covers! My criteria for that class is - Which one would I prefer to own? If there's a little dust it may only be affecting my giving a car a d
Judging a Factory Stock class would be much easier, as there are rules on what you can and can not have.

As far as cleaning tips I used compressed air to get all the dirt out of the nooks and crannies in the engine compartment before I washed the car. Then I followed up with rags and detail spray. The events I have shown my car at were both on grass and the last one had dirt blowing around so I made sure I left the dressing at home.
I like the few little interior mods I have done so I rolled down both windows. Some guys with extensively modified cars had their window shut and with tint and my wearing sunglasses I could not tell what it looked like inside. Be sure to give the interior one good going over with a microfiber towel once there. You might want to make sure to dust the car right before judging begins. They should let you know.
And try to stay by your car. It was so hot last weekend that many cars were by themselves, or the owners were not leaving the sanctuary of a shaded area.

Oh and if you have a modified late model Mustang expect a lot of competition! Both times I've entered my car there were more Mustangs in my class (2005-2008 Coupe) than almost any other. Each time if I had been able to enter my GT in the Stock class I would have been competing against 1 or 2 cars. I'm still surprised I was able to trophy at my first show!
Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Wow, nice trophy. I have a third place too.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

was it the TMS show? [8D]i showed up late and couldnt register i was pissed [:@]. I was on the back side with the mobil mod cars.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I try to stay away from people's choice shows. They can be rigged by guys that bring their friends/family. I was at a show last month where an almost stock2002 Mustang took people's choice and it didn't even run. The kid must have brought every one of his HS friends to come vote for him. I'll never waste my time at a show like that.

Quick Reply: Mustang Show prep?