Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Show prep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang Show prep?

Im going to my first show tomorrow and would love some pointers. What sort of things do you guys do to get ready for a show other than washing the car?

*written by Ryans girlfriend for him as he washes the car* =)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Show prep?

ive heard of something called a "california duster" that is supposedly incredibly good for getting rid of fingerprints and such on the car while at the show.

ive never done a show so thats the only advice i have.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Make sure the engine bay is spotless, tires are dressed, and glass is clean and waterspot-free. Do all that and you may pick up some hardware like I did last weekend.

[IMG]local://upfiles/76336/2CE6F0D78B06403191E65C197902F6FE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

Get some Mothers back to black it will set you apart from the other cars. Given the age of your car the paint will most likely shine like a new penny with a simple wash,
but in my experience the first thing to start going south on our cars is the black plastic hit the cowl, over the windows, and so on. This stuff is worth it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:42 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

don't forget to clean the door sills and under the gas cap cover. Also the under part of the hood including using a vacuum on the fire cover. You can spray the engine compartment with Simple Green, rinse and let dry. Sounds like a lot of work. It is but worth it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

+1 on back to black. Works wonders on my 'vert.

Me?

Wash, then as needed: polish, clearcoat protectant (two coats if I do it), then always 2 coats of carnauba paste (minimum, ALWAYS after a wash). Tire dressing, and make sure the interior is clean!! If you have a fire extinguisher, make sure to put it on display in the rear cupholder (a chrome one will set you back $50), lots of shows around here award an extra point for it. Dress the tires, make sure you clean all the brake dust out of the wheels.. If you have chrome wheels, wax them. Make sure you clean ALL the bugs off the front end when you get there, spotless windows. It also helps to have a mod sheet in view, so that judges can see all the work that's gone into the car. You can't expect that a judge will know everything about every year and every body style and recognize the subtle changes between them (unless it's an ALL Mustang show, like MCA, but even then, it still helps). Make sure to clean your exhaust tips, NevrDull works GREAT for that.. Also, make sure the trunk is empty and clean and OPEN. If it's an ISCA show, you must also leave at least one door open. Be sure to clean the door jambs!!

The California duster mentioned above does nothing for fingerprints, but it works MAGIC on dust and pollen. VERY good to have if you have a black car. On your silver, it might not be necessary unless you're obscenely **** about everything. Also, for detail spray, use the Meguiars Ultimate Detailer. Black bottle instead of red, about twice the price, but worth every penny. Keep lots of microfiber on hand, you'll drop them, or the wind will blow them onto the ground, all sorts of stuff. And you're bound to get prints from all the spectators, it's a fact of life.

If you have a dyno sheet, make sure that's on display in plain view, too.

Oh, and don't forget a folding chair and some beverages (at least SOME non-alcoholic, it gets hot out there, and you DO have to drive back home), and some sunscreen! It SUCKS standing for a whole day at a show, trust me!! Don't expect there to be anything available, even for purchase (food, drink). If there is, then bonus, but don't plan on it. Lots of shows around here are at parks and stuff, no where nearby to get foor or drink.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

they will check the outside, inside, trunk, and engine, and maybe under the fender wells. the engine you can use engine degreaser, spray off w/ water and run engine to get dry, but make sure you cover the CAI, battery, and anything electrical. rims and tires clean and dressed, but dont spray the tires until you get to the show or else the dressing may get back on your rims. for wax use something w/ carnuba, i like using paint sealant w/ carnuba, then meguires nxt 2.0 paste wax. bring the detailing stuff w/ you to the show to touch it up there. and stay by your car as much as possible to answer any questions, shmoosing the judges will help.
and post up when you win!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Don't forget to bring the stuff that exx1976 mentioned to the show with you. Once you get there you'll want to clean everything again, especially the wheels since they will get really dirty on the way over.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

depending on the show, they may be looking for certain items that will add up quickly in the points category and may be the differnce between winning a trophy and walking away empty handed.

Most shows require the minimum items:
1) fire extinguisher
2) first aid Kit
3) tool kit
4) Dealer window sticker (I use a color copy that I had laminated and trimmed so you can't see the plastic edges)
5) literature
6) owner's manual
7) jack and spare

I've see some shows also ask for the following:
- flares
- flash light
- tire gauge
- oil/water/gas containers

When you go to the show, make sure you take the following
-detailing supplies
- vaccum
- paper towel
- folding chair
- scotch tape
- towel (it's going to be hot and you will be sweating)
- water/drinks
- Camera (take some pictures befroe and after you win your trophy )

When you get there, unpack your trunk and lay out all of your show goodies in a clean arrangement. Usually in the trunk. I usually tape the dealer window sticker to the inside of the passenger front window just like the dealer would.

Wipe down the car and use deatiling spray. You'll want a nice shine. Vacuum the interior, clean the windows, put some tire shine on the tires, wipe down the rims and then spend some time cleaning your engine compartment. I usually put some tire dressing on the hoses to make them look better.

When the jusdges come, try to be friendly but don't crowd them. Don't volunteer any information about the car unless they ask you questions.If its a convertible, the judges may ask you to raise/loer the roof. They may check your undercarriage for rust and cleanliness.when the judges are done, thank them for judging the car.

I've won 17 trophies in the past 2 years and judged 4 shows. It's a lot of fun.

I hope this helps and post some pictures of your first trophy on sunday.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I agree with all of ^^ except two things: The vacuum.. Unless it's a little hand-held one, leave it home. You can't count on there being electricity available.

Tire dressing on the hoses? Welll.. I GUESS it might work out ok, but it's been my experience that tire dressing likes to grab up dirt and dust and crap.. If you want a hard time cleaning the hoses and stuff later, go for it. Armor all will shine it up just as well, and it won't stay tacky like tire dressing will.

And yeah, don't dress the dires until you get there. It's not so much the getting on the wheels that sucks, it's the getting on the PAINT that's a pain in the *** when it happens..

And if it's stupid hot where you live, and you plan on attending lots of car shows, do yourself a favor and get one of those 10x10 pop-up tent things.. You'll be glad, too, when you go to an outdoor show and the weather is iffy, and you have some cover.. Quick drag it over the car if it's just a sprinkle, then you have less to clean up again when it passes.

First aid kit and tool kit? I've never seen those on display at a show that I can recall.. Interesting. I might have to try that.

+1 to the window sticker. I forgot about that. Lots of guys here do it, but it's generally more important for older cars. Mine is so custom that putting the window sticker in the window would be an insult. I'd be better off putting the appraisal in the window.

odiaz - Jack and spare?? That, again, I've NEVER seen, anywhere.. Really? Interesting.. Mine is out of the car as I have a custom trunk and the spare had to go, but I'll keep it in mind.. Hrmm...

Quick Reply: Mustang Show prep?