Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

final Whipple HO question from me

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 02:43 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

Default final Whipple HO question from me

I went to order the whipple HO today from the dealer, and they advised I go with the standard 400 HP whipple, stating that the stock 4.6 cannot handle the pressure and it will probably be ruined within a month. i held off on ordering it, because i know there are people on here that know more than a service coordinator at a random dealer. one last thing too, let me get this straight, the stock clutch, drive shalf will have to go along with a set of lower control arms for wheel hop. anything else i should know before i get halfway done and broke? thanks a bunch
Old 06-28-2008, 04:03 AM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: final Whipple HO question from me

I wouldn't get the 400 hp whipple from Ford (no intercooler = detonation). 6psi out of the non intercooled kit is probably the same temp as 10psi out of the intercooled. IMO you should just run a conservative tune with the whipple HO. The stock clutch will probably last a month if you don't beat on it.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 AM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

I'd go ahead and buy the H.O. kit with confidence. As far as I know no one has lost a motor on the Ford tune. The stock clutch will hold up for a while, but plan on a new one. As for the driveshaft I don't see anyreason to replace it unless your just wanting to cut down on rotational mass.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Buy the HO kit. Intercooled. If my dealership gave me that advice, I wouldn't let them near my car (and I don't).
Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ unless you track the car and beat on it regularily (well ignore the last part-cause I do beat on it ) it should hold fine esp with the pig rich tune from Whipple/ FRPP.... mine was 10.9 (a/f ratio) at 6500 RPMs! I did get a custom tune and she is not as rich (about 11.2-11.5 at WOT. The clutch is holding but no power shifting the manual cause I dont want to bend my tensioner. If you have a manul trans and want to beat on it consider the Thumper_rrr tensioner (PM me or nine for info) and it is the last one you will ever need! The Lca's will help with wheel hop and learn to feather the pedal as it will come in handy after the install of the H.O.
ORIGINAL: stang910

I'd go ahead and buy the H.O. kit with confidence. As far as I know no one has lost a motor on the Ford tune. The stock clutch will hold up for a while, but plan on a new one. As for the driveshaft I don't see anyreason to replace it unless your just wanting to cut down on rotational mass.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

i was trying to avoida new driveshaft, but i didnt know if the whipple HO/4.6 would tear it up along with the rear end. this install plus product cost is gonna wipe me out for a half month or so, so i wanted to make sure i can still drive the car for a half month once the install is done. darn monsoon season in AZ and the bike is parked for the most part. thanks again guys. to be honest, im not even sure what that thumper tensioner is, or where it is, is it just an idler on the belt line?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: funtimesalways

I went to order the whipple HO today from the dealer, and they advised I go with the standard 400 HP whipple, stating that the stock 4.6 cannot handle the pressure and it will probably be ruined within a month. i held off on ordering it, because i know there are people on here that know more than a service coordinator at a random dealer. one last thing too, let me get this straight, the stock clutch, drive shalf will have to go along with a set of lower control arms for wheel hop. anything else i should know before i get halfway done and broke? thanks a bunch

First of all its impossible to get the 10psi version without an intercooler. HO means intercooler, thats where you get the High Output from in the package.

10psi intercooled is extremely safe on the s197 engine. While 10PSI non IC would blow shortly, 10PSI intercooled will almost never blow.

Now 10PSI intercooled on the mustang GT makes about 500hp on an automatic this would blow the transmission within a year, less if youre unlucky. On a manual it would fry the cluth within a day or two, but with an upgraded clutch the manual can handle the HP (unlike the automatic). Also you dont have to replace the rear end or the DS by the way, actually the GT500 uses your rear end even on the super snake version which runs close to 800hp!

Anyway Im telling you all this so you know whats up, not to agree with your service manager in any way. That guy is like an IDIOT or something. He has no idea what he is talking about.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

any paticular clutch you would recommend? is is the whole thing, throwout bearing and all? will the flywheel be ok too?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:21 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I like any twin disc clutch like the Mcleod RST. Spec 3+ seems to work for many on this forum... and Boostaddict (Lethal performance) has the Fidanza twin with a new aluminum flywheel included in the package. Since your flywheel is exposed and the trans is dropped you should go ahead and get the flywheel resurfaced or get a new one (lighter) while the clutch is being replaced.....JMO J
Old 06-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

I would and did replace the flywheel when I replaced the clutch, also replaced the drive shaft at the same time since the tranny was already apart, will save you on labor cost.

Quick Reply: final Whipple HO question from me