Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration

ORIGINAL: Nuke

The few times (3 or 4, I think) I had it happen with my manual, the engine did NOT rev up when I downshifted and tried to go WOT. It just did nothing for an instant and then slowly wound up. I've tried to duplicate it on many occasions but w/ the TCS off. Perhaps I'll see if I can get it to happen with the TCS on. I'm still putting my $$ on the fuel pump issue.

Your hesitation may be something else. This is completely a different issue that the shudder during a rev limiter shutdown. In an auto, the rpm's climb higher than the redline, and it cuts out. In mine, if I don't let off the gas, or slightly pump the gas pedal, it will cut out. The pedal pomping like I do allows the tranny to go ahead and shift into 5th.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeD916

Ok so this just happened to me for the first time. I have a 5 speed manual. Was driving down the highway at normal speeds and getting off the highway. Whenexiting the offrampI saw the light turning red ahead so I sped up a little to beat the light and as I was swerving left (was completely in 3rd grear with foot off the clutch)I received a huge jolt as the car hesitated. I mean it felt like the transmission dropped out of the car. Scared the crap out of me.

Just wanted to provide some of my own experience.

It really makes no difference what type a tranny you have. It is the revs that matter.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

People, what is happening is you have that instant spike in revs and your rev limiter is kicking in. It's not the throttleand it's not the TC.
thats not true at all,it does it before the revs even get close to the limiter,its almost instant,soon as you hit the gas after cruising for a bit.

i have an 07, the TSB does not cover the 07 is what the dealer told me,lol,he wants to get a guy to ride around in my car and diagnose the problem,lol,yeah right. im calling monday to bitch at the service manager for wasting my time. he tried to also blame it on my tuner,just got the tuner a month ago,its been doing it since i bought the car,said he would still fix it for me and let me know how much it was going to cost me,lol.idiots!

i have a 5 speed
its happened to me about 5 times maybe in 6700 miles
happens when i get on it after cruising,not every time,just sometimes

from what ive been told,air pockets build up in the pump, then when you try and go,that pocket gets pushed through the pump and car falls on its face.

if i knew how the techs at the dealership fix it i would just do it my self.

The OP said it did it at WOT when the tranny downshifted. That is the time when the rpm's spike and it does indeed bounce off the rev limiter.
mm,negative,the car shuts down INSTANTLY, the revs do not climb,they go no where except down becuase the motor has died.you seem to be the only one with this conclusion of the rev limiter. i know what it feels like to hit the rev limiter,its very easy to do in a 5 speed,anytime you hit the limiter the car does not die the same way,this is a good 1-2 second pause.im sure you will come back and say its the rev limiter again.this has happened to me 4-5 times,i have first hand experiance to what it feels like.it is not subject to what tranny you have or dont have, only what fuel pump you have.only thing i have not tried is the TCS being on or off, or finding out if it does it only at certain times when the tank is full or empty.ITS NOT THE REV LIMITER in my case,maybe yours but definitly not mine.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Like I said, IT'S THE REV LIMITER!!!. Sorry, had to say that. LMFAO. I am speaking to the OP. That is his issue. Yours like you said may be different since your car can't even GET to the redline. I wish you could go back in time to the rev limiter discussion we had last year. Not that it is what is going on in your car. When you hyjack someones thread and make it your own, don't expect all the answers to apply to your specific issue. They seldom are the same and as a result, the solutions are different too.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Open your other eye, and you will see that I am right with what the original poster said was his issue. Stop trying to twist this. It doesn't concern you. So you have a problem. Take it to the shop and let em fix it. That's about all the advice I can give you. The OP has nothing that needs fixed however. I can see said the blind man.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 AM
MikeD916
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

The few times (3 or 4, I think) I had it happen with my manual, the engine did NOT rev up when I downshifted and tried to go WOT. It just did nothing for an instant and then slowly wound up. I've tried to duplicate it on many occasions but w/ the TCS off. Perhaps I'll see if I can get it to happen with the TCS on. I'm still putting my $$ on the fuel pump issue.
Hopefully it was a one time occurence for me. I've hit the rev limiter at least 10 times in the past and this experince was way different. When the car hesistated, the axel did some major banging around down there. Wasn't smooth at all, well not like hitting the rev limiter anyways. May have to agree with Nuke that it could be fuel pump related.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

+1 on the fuel pump TSB. I was on a road trip, driving for 2-3 hours with the cruise on. Came to a toll barrier, stopped, when I went to take off, the car stumbled bad, almost died, then VROOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

One trip to the dealer, and viola! New fuel pump and pickup, and all fixed. And before anyone gives me hell, this is back when I was still stock.. LOL
Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Open your other eye, and you will see that I am right with what the original poster said was his issue. Stop trying to twist this. It doesn't concern you. So you have a problem. Take it to the shop and let em fix it. That's about all the advice I can give you. The OP has nothing that needs fixed however. I can see said the blind man.

who the hell are you? it dont concern you no more than me, im offering first hand experiance on the same issue he says he has, you dont know any more them me what the exact problem is. your the only one saying its the rev limiter out of the 30 posts here.ive never heard of an auto hitting the rev limiter unless you manualy dropped it in 2nd or first. so stop telling people that stuff dont concern them,who died and made you forum queen?dont even look at my post if your just going to argue. i guess the other 20 people in this thread are all wrong too,you are the only one who is correct in this whole thread.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

i agree with ***** on this one. i just don't see the computer letting you hit the rev limiter in an automatic unless like he said you manually drop it into second or something. but just mashing down the gas should NOT cause you to hit the rev limiter. my money is like I've been saying still with the TCS being on because it happens to me just about everytime I leave my TCS on when I'm going down the highway which is why I always turn it off if I know I'm going to be doing 50+ mph for an extended amount of time. with the TCS off it has never happened to me not even once. however, it COULD be the fuel pump as well which you might want to get checked out. I have an 07 and i think the fuel pump tsb applied to 05-06. but it doesn't hurt to try the turning the TCS off first and just see what happens.

Quick Reply: Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration