Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration

There are 2, maybe 3 DIFFERENT senerios being discribed here. One eye keeps jumping back and forth, where on the other hand, I stay with the OP. In my car, I can stomp on it from say a 45 mph roll, it will down shift into 3rd, accelerate like a bat out of hell, (which is what the OP said his does) hit 6500 rpm or there abouts and rev limit. If I back out of it a tad, just a tad, it will go ahead and shift on up through the gears. The tranny is staying in 3rd at those high rpms almost like it was locked down. So, it would seem that ***** don't know his GT autos.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Open your other eye, and you will see that I am right with what the original poster said was his issue. Stop trying to twist this. It doesn't concern you. So you have a problem. Take it to the shop and let em fix it. That's about all the advice I can give you. The OP has nothing that needs fixed however. I can see said the blind man.

who the hell are you? it dont concern you no more than me, im offering first hand experiance on the same issue he says he has, you dont know any more them me what the exact problem is. your the only one saying its the rev limiter out of the 30 posts here.ive never heard of an auto hitting the rev limiter unless you manualy dropped it in 2nd or first. so stop telling people that stuff dont concern them,who died and made you forum queen?dont even look at my post if your just going to argue. i guess the other 20 people in this thread are all wrong too,you are the only one who is correct in this whole thread.

Calm down son. you may blow some seal or something. The senerios some are discribing are indeed fuel starvation related. Some may be TCS related. But................................when the OP hits his rev limit, it will cut out for a sec or 2 just like mine does. If the OP had looked down at his tach when this was happening, he would have seen redline. The sudden obrupt downshift spikes the engine rpm to red. Go back and re-read post #1.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, I know the TCS thing seems to be popular at the moment.. I have a 5-speed, and I always leave the traction control ON when I'm on the expressway with the cruise on. Why? Well, look what happened to Moose a while back. I don't know if his TCS was on or off, but I'm thinking off wouldn't have been good in a situation like that. When I'm on the highway doing 50+ MPH for an extended period of time, I WANT traction control. I'm not trying to be out showing off and doing burnouts on a crowded highway with my cruise control on.

So, the reason I say all that, is that I leave the TCS on almost all the time, and I have never had the issues that you guys describe when going to pass on the highway.. ??? Just FWIW, of course. As always, YMMV.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Wow,

So much bad information here

I could blow through gears bouncing my rev limiter from first to 3d without even moving so the tires don't stop spinning. When I would go WOT I could bounce my rev limiter easily. Of course this was about 3 months before my input shaft snapped, probably due to the torque converter locking up and not letting go.

I would have my transmission fluid checked make sure it still looks good.
You can hit the rev limiter and have no delay.
When you floor it with TCS onthe carwill bog a second and take off I've experienced this many times.
If the car bogs down there are only like 2 things it can be, TCS kicking in or something with the pumps.
I never experienced any "cut off"
Was the fuel filter checked? Plugs where Checked? Has the MAF and throttle body been cleaned?

With the new rebuilt 5r55 and pi triple disc I never hit the rev limiter at WOT from a rolling start and the shiftsare smooth as hell. I can still hit rev limiter in first and second gearif I smash the pedalwhen I have no traction When I was testing boost I bounced the rev limiter a few times and never once delayed.

Ok I went on and on !
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

But that's what the rev limiter does. It shuts you down. You don't just get to a certain point and can't go any faster. There have been countless posts on here where guys have done it and come crying on here asking if they hurt anything.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I just posted my experience with my car.

When My tranny was going I would hit the rev limiter anytime I went WOT. I had 0 slow down. It hits the rev limiter and downshifts or upshifts. If you have an aeroforce gauge you can watch the horsepower drop but the car doesn't stop moving or bog down or anything. You probably will feel the loss of HP but your going fast already and it should recover quick, split second like.

I do know my car has and had every problem known to man so who knows cars are different.

The only time my car bogged was when I went WOT first second gear was great but I hit rev limiter in 3d then snap no more go. 7 thousand dollars later
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

But that's what the rev limiter does. It shuts you down. You don't just get to a certain point and can't go any faster. There have been countless posts on here where guys have done it and come crying on here asking if they hurt anything.
yes,yes,yes you are correct it must be the rev limiter!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

I just posted my experience with my car.
your not allowed to do that here,IT MUST BE THE REV LIMITER!! this does not concern you either.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Glad you learned something.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 PM
BongoKongo

Don't have a Mustang, Don't even live in the USA but I do have a Supercharged Australian Ford Falcon BA 4.0 & it had the exact same issue.

Tried all of the above to sort it out, including testing & changing plugs, sensors, fuel pump etc, etc & nothing fixed it.

Car would go like a rocket if I gently fed it the RPM but if I slammed my foot to the floor from standing start or on kick down it would hesitate for a second, make a burble noise (not a backfire) & then off it would go to the Max as usual.

Anyway it turned out to be that the ECU was applying Torque reduction inappropriately to the transmission at WOT (fly by wire setup) & the ECU does not register any DTC codes for this problem.
That sure does make it hard to diagnose when your LOG is blank. Luckily I have a brilliant Tuner who was able to work out why it was doing this (by the trial & error method) & eventually he isolated the one signal from the ECU that caused the throttle to close when it thought too much torque was being applied to the transmission & the problem instantly went away & has never come back.

But while it is happening, you would swear that it is a fuel starvation problem.

Quick Reply: Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration