Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting an 06 GT.. some thoughts needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Getting an 06 GT.. some thoughts needed

Not that I am in any way encouraging someone his age to get a GT, but realistically, if he is putting nearly $20k down on the car, I think his financing might work out to where he isn't too worried about a "big" payment.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Wow, you people have expensive insurance down there! I'm 27 with 100% clean record I'm paying less than that.

But as to the question, I agree with damn near everyone else. Learn to drive first, as good as a driver as you might think you are... you're not (no offence). I'd hate to read about a nice new stang getting wrapped around a pole, or hitting some pedestrian, because you "thought" you could handle it.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:10 PM
collins

ha my celica had a little over 200 horsepower.... ive never been in any accidents or had any speeding tickets... i consider myself to be realy mature for my age and know what the consequences are if i drive the car irresponsible. and as for insurance i was quoted for 126 a month... woo
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 PM
ponytx
2nd Gear Member

I completely agree with xRockthePonyx.....

You shouldn't lie to your Pop, he's the one helping you out here, either be honest and tell him that you want the V8 or make him happy and get the V6. I really don't think there will be anyway of tricking him, most people know what that GT on the side stands for.

But anyways...WHO do you use for insurance?????, I'm 29 with no accidents/tickets and pay more than 129 a month on a V6!

Proffesor Wizard....will you adopt me?.....
Old 05-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I'd get that insurance quote triple-checked before you run out and buy a stang. Someone made a mistake. A 17 year old ain't gonna get 1500/year full coverage on a GT. Insurance companies have a nasty habit when they make a mistake like that, they just send you an "updated" premium one day. You might find yourself with triple that rate 6 months from now.

For grins I entered info for a 17 year old in a 2005 GT Mustang into the insurance.com site. I assumed the highest deductible and waived coverage on everything possible. I went with the minimum coverage amounts. I used my zip code which is a rural area (lower rates than city). The 3 rates came up as follows:

Esurance- 3241/ 6 mo
Unitrin- 7006/ 12 mo
Meritplan- 7626/ 12 mo

Ouch.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:15 AM
collins

the car for insurance purposes will be listed under my moms name
Old 05-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

PonyTX... Adopt you?... Can you run a lawn mower? Keep your room picked up? and cook... hahaha...

Collin... then your mom has you down as a part time driver on that car. The Insurance company will catch onto that pretty quick. It is not uncommon for Insurance companies to bid "low" and after they get you just send you a letter saying the made a mistake and your preimum is now 425 a month. Exactly THAT happened to my daughter when she decided to "Leave" the family plan because GEICO was 1/2 what she was paying through our plan.... so she did the move... and the following month she got her letter in the mail raising her priemum to double what she was paying when she was on the family plan.

Be careful with the Insurance game.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:02 PM
ponytx
2nd Gear Member

*warning* thread that has nothing to do with original post

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

PonyTX... Adopt you?... Can you run a lawn mower? Keep your room picked up? and cook... hahaha...
lawn mower...yes (as long as it's self propelled)

room picked up.....we can negotiate that...

cook....I make a mean bowl of cereal.....

Now can I drive the Torino?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I am the EXACT same age. I'm 17, and I already have a GT. We looked at the differences between the v6 and the GT even tho we were never going to buy the v6. It turns out the insurance for the v6 is not much less than the v8. Of course I've already gotten 2 speeding tickets, so that's something to consider. I drove just as fast in my old car (bmw) and it didn't attract too much attention because it was an older car. With the new car you are going to attract the cops. If you get the GT, you won't ever look back. If you get the V6, you might end up craving more power. If you're going to add some performance mods, DEFINATLY go with the GT. Since you already have 19k in the bank, you might want to go talk to a dealer and see what you can work out with them on payment plans right now. If posible, and that's a big if, keep your parents out of the transaction. I made the mistake of letting my parents buy the car for me. NOT A GOOD IDEA. One day your parents might decide that it's their car and you can drive their pos instead. Which is basicly what happend to me. Now I'm having to negotiate my way back into my car that they gave me. Well enough of my story. Good luck on getting a mustang, you won't regret it.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:39 AM
collins

well thanks for the info shifty... im wondering how i can take a loan out for the car for the payments if im on only 17 though... i guess someone more experience than i can help..

Quick Reply: Getting an 06 GT.. some thoughts needed