Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding performance to a Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Adding performance to a Automatic

CAI/Tune, UDP's, LT headers, and 3.73 gears for me
As of now I only have the CAI/Tune..but i'm working on the rest
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Shifters don't add any torque or HP.
1. CAI/tune if you don't already have one. 3-5 tenths off the 1/4 mile
2. GEARS...3.73's - 2-4 tenths off the 1/4 mile
3.T/C =torque converter (maybe a 3000 stall). 2-5 tenths off the 1/4 mile
4. UDP = under drive pullies - maybe 1/10 off the 1/4 mile
5. 1 peice driveshaft - 1-2 tenths off the 1/4 mile
6. LTH = Long tube headers with o/r H or X pipe - 2-4 tenths off the 1/4 mile
7. DR's = drag radials...doesn't add power, just help you put it to the ground - 3-4 tenths off the 1/4 mile

Of course the above 1/4 mile shavings are only aguestimate, I think they're pretty close.
There's also some supporting mods like upper and lower control arms to help with traction.

Let us not forget shift kits which aloow less slippage and quicker shifts to improve performance and mpg.
The shift kit is built into the tune. FYI: The tune shifts much harder than any B&M shift kit I've ever had installed in my TH350/TH400's.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

If the car is going to be used on the street and not at the track forget about a higher stall converter.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I have an automatic. Yes, Cold Air Intake ( CAI) & a tune is the best bet. It will change your shift points, and the trans will shift into gears at a higher RPM, and harder. Forget the torque converter if you're not serious about drag racing, not worth it if you're just street driving. Then I would change out the rear end gears to 3.73 from your stock 3.31 Approx 500 bucks for the CAI/tune, and 500 for the gears & install.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

#'s 1 & 2 on Granpa-Stang's list above for starters (if nothing else).
Old 07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

as stated I've done a CAI and a Tune already guys, but I've seen many gear kits so 3.73 gears is for sure the one I want to use

and what do you mean "high stall converter" would the $1000 model be the high very, I'm just looking for better performance not the top of the line. would the $300 version be too much ?

howarmat - nope, I'm going try pretty much everything that doesnt require a sodering or welding myself.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

If you don't know what something does, don't put it in your car. Do you know what a stall converter does?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sailing220

If you don't know what something does, don't put it in your car. Do you know what a stall converter does?
improves my cars performance what more do I need to know ......
Old 07-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Miracle
1st Gear Member

Look man.... in all honesty... you have a V6. Unless you wanna dump quite a bit of money in it, to have SOMEONE ELSE build it up.... then just keep it a daily driver, stock, and just do maintenance on it.

My reason behind telling you this... and DON'T take this the wrong way: You don't know much about the mechanical aspect of how performance cars work. You don't even know WHERE a Torque Converter goes inside a car.

But I will tell you this... it sits in between the engine and transmission, where the clutch would go if your car was manual. It provides seperation between the engine and transmission when the car is stopped, to keep the engine from dying out.

If you want to put a little time money and effort into making your V6 faster, READ.... that's the best advice I can give you. Read up.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miracle

Look man.... in all honesty... you have a V6. Unless you wanna dump quite a bit of money in it, to have SOMEONE ELSE build it up.... then just keep it a daily driver, stock, and just do maintenance on it.

My reason behind telling you this... and DON'T take this the wrong way: You don't know much about the mechanical aspect of how performance cars work. You don't even know WHERE a Torque Converter goes inside a car.

But I will tell you this... it sits in between the engine and transmission, where the clutch would go if your car was manual. It provides seperation between the engine and transmission when the car is stopped, to keep the engine from dying out.

If you want to put a little time money and effort into making your V6 faster, READ.... that's the best advice I can give you. Read up.
ok I hear what your saying but do you think I bought a $200 CAI and a $260 Tuner for my health. I know a torque converter improves the performance of a Automatic transmission, so common sense says it obviously must go somewhere on the transmission. I just dont know where.

Do you really think I was going to put it on my windshield or jam it in my gas tank ? I dont have the knowledge of a mechanic but that doesnt mean I should keep my car stocked.

Quick Reply: Adding performance to a Automatic