Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.

Now that's the kind of instructions that should come with the BSM kits! You should email that to them so they include it with their kits. I'm sure alot of people attempting this mod will appreciate your write-up.

Your car looks great! I'd trim the rocker stripe so that it doesn't wrap into the fenderwell though. Just take a blade and cut it along that edge.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.

I can't see it from work...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

ORIGINAL: pnut
I decided to write down some thoughts after doing my stripe install. I certainly learned alot. Check it out.
Hey pnut. Excellent write-up with very good detail that a lot of people would have left out. Besides the trimming you did around the 3rd brake light were there any other places you needed to trim or are all the pieces pre-cut to length as well as width. I have the same kit but I had a shop install them.

Where are you located in Michigan?
There was NO where else I trimmed, and in fact I should not have trimmed around the 3rd brake light, it would have been just fine as is. The BSM kit was excellent.

I'm in West Michigan, I'll take a look at your link, I get over to that side of the state often.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

that looks amazing , I'll favorite this for when I get my stripes but I was thinking of getting precut ones what do you think

http://www.colebrothers.com/graphics/mustang.html
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

that looks amazing , I'll favorite this for when I get my stripes but I was thinking of getting precut ones what do you think

If your going to order pre-cut ... BSM is the way to go. High quality 3M vinyl and superb customer support
Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

I have not seen that kit in person, so I can't comment on it specifically.

I will say however you get what you pay for. 3m is KNOWN to be the best vinyl for durability and workability when installing. Oracle may or may not be as good, I personally would not want to take the risk of the unknown for $70+, because this mod will be in your face and any errors will be very visible.

Also, I like the precut pieces. A kit that provides 20 feet of straight vinyl you cut to fit may be more difficult to use, especially for a beginner.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Excellent How To.....I wish the Superstripe would have been the type with backing paper, but it was not. I assume because of the width of the stripe. BSM kits are awesome for the do it your-selfer....

Nice job,

Mike
Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

Nice write up... Car looks nice. I wonder how it would be to do the scoop on mine?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...products_id=47

is this kit completely precut like I just match and slide on ? And what the hell is transfer tape ?

also is there a way to get it without the stupid front bumper license plate cut or should I cut it off myself ?

Lastly is your car a Cobra or a GT cause it looks like a GT but everything is cobra
Old 07-02-2008, 04:05 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...products_id=47

is this kit completely precut like I just match and slide on ? And what the hell is transfer tape ?

also is there a way to get it without the stupid front bumper license plate cut or should I cut it off myself ?

Lastly is your car a Cobra or a GT cause it looks like a GT but everything is cobra
Yes that kit is precut. You tell BSM if you have a front license plate, what spoiler you have etc, and then they cut it for your Mustang with your options (same price). That's part of the nice thing about aBSM kit, it isjust for your needs andMustang. You just "slide it on" with many hours and much patience. If you don't have both, have a shop do it.

Transfer tape is like a thin masking tape on top of the stripes. It is usually used with detailed stickers where they are impossible to apply without. Since so many body are used to the tape, you can get the stripe kits with the tape. I thought I wanted it to make it easier, but it was more of a pain.

The faux rear gas cap is Cobra (or Shelby). It is a GT. I received the emblem as a fathers day gift and like it much better than the chrome cap. I was planning a billet cap, but when the kids give you a gift, you accept it happily. I don't get the gruff I get over that snake emblem. I feel everyone should modify as they like. Does that mean someone who puts a GT500 front end on their GT is a poseur? I think not.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.