Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.

so does the transfer tape protect the stripes or something what are the advantages or should I just get it without it.

GT350 so thats like the Pony Package for GTs ?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

so does the transfer tape protect the stripes or something what are the advantages or should I just get it without it.

GT350 so thats like the Pony Package for GTs ?
Transfer tap keeps the stripes protected from agressive squeegeeing among other things. if you remove the vinyl from the backing very carefully (slowly and gently), you really don't need it. I would suggest NO since it actually makes the install harder.

GT350 is just a choice of numbers I used on the side stripes. There really is no GT350 currently, only V6 and GT in Deluxe and Premium. GT350 was (if I recall right) a special edition in the late 60's kind of like how we have the GT500 now. I did not want to do GT500, since it is not one, but I thought GT350 was vintage-ish cool.

Are you up to installing them yourself? Understand it takes alot of time and patience, and if you mess it up, there is no turning back. But then again if you screw it up, worst case is $160 or so lost from the kit price, but that would still suck.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

The install looks great!! I am in process of getting a stripe kit for mine as well. I was going to do the 10" wide double stripes with outlining pinstripe....but there is another Windveil Blue with that stripe kit in white in my area.... So, I am going with the Super stripe kit and I am going to go with the Autumn Gold that was offered by Ford back in 2005. I have seen it in person (today) and I liked it.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Awesome write-up! I tried installing silver stripes on my car awhile back and started with the faux gas cap area and totally messed it up. I lost the will to tackle the job again after that and never got my stripes installed. Now I feel I can try again with your helpful write-up. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Nice right up and nice job! I did my stripes under a carport and only managed to get one spec of dirt under a roof stripe. I was very **** about cleaning each panel right before applying the stripe.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: pnut

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

Are you up to installing them yourself? Understand it takes alot of time and patience, and if you mess it up, there is no turning back. But then again if you screw it up, worst case is $160 or so lost from the kit price, but that would still suck.
I'll probably do it within the next 2 weeks black stripes , with the help of my brother. I mean how hard could this really be everyone who does it seems to do a great job
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 PM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Looks nice.......also nice choice of car color
Old 07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
sp44
2nd Gear Member

Nice write up! I will be doing the same thing at some point.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 PM
mustangstriper

Pnut ..i have 17 yrs experience in installs for stripes and i have to tell u ..im very impressed with ur write up...i read all of it and u know tricks that only advanced installers know....very impressive write up..kudos my friend.....
one thing i wanted to remind everybody tho ,3m carries a lower brand material too..just like all the rest of the vinyl suppliers..just make sure u look for either "high performance"..or "cast" vinyl..if u have to ask the supplier do it.....if u get any of the lower grade material like"calendar" or "intermediate".. it will crack and fade alot quicker ,,and it will be a real pain to manipulate and bend...so the install will be wayy harder then using good vinyl that has a higher conformability ..so alot of times when somebody tries to intall themselves and has alot of probs ,,then they hear that another guy had no probs installing it might have to do with the quality of the vinyl u purchased.....and BSM is a great place to purchase vinyl..ive dealt with him before and his products..
also matte black is not an easy install for vinyl...very little elasticity(conformability) to it..so the bumpers will be very HARD...but when installed properly it really does look awesome!.....again Pnut impressive install directions,,i agree urs are more user friendly then what they send with the kit..
Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangstriper
Pnut ..i have 17 yrs experience in installs for stripes and i have to tell u ..im very impressed with ur write up...i read all of it and u know tricks that only advanced installers know....very impressive write up..kudos my friend.....
one thing i wanted to remind everybody tho ,3m carries a lower brand material too..just like all the rest of the vinyl suppliers..just make sure u look for either "high performance"..or "cast" vinyl..if u have to ask the supplier do it.....if u get any of the lower grade material like"calendar" or "intermediate".. it will crack and fade alot quicker ,,and it will be a real pain to manipulate and bend...so the install will be wayy harder then using good vinyl that has a higher conformability ..so alot of times when somebody tries to intall themselves and has alot of probs ,,then they hear that another guy had no probs installing it might have to do with the quality of the vinyl u purchased.....and BSM is a great place to purchase vinyl..ive dealt with him before and his products..
also matte black is not an easy install for vinyl...very little elasticity(conformability) to it..so the bumpers will be very HARD...but when installed properly it really does look awesome!.....again Pnut impressive install directions,,i agree urs are more user friendly then what they send with the kit..

Thanks so much. This was my first large scale project and I learned a ton. I know a hairdrier can be used to good effect, but have not tried this for fear of damaging the material.

Do you have any suggestions on how to effectively use heat to help wrinkles?

Good to know about flat black, I've been considering restriping in that color, and now know I am in for more of a challenge.

Quick Reply: I installed my stripes! Here are my tips if you want to install them too.