Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 Format & Shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MP3 Format & Shaker 500

yes, well i cant deny the cheapness of the interior, i think every website and magazine will confirm that in their test as well. I may have to look into this all screen double din, any recommendations on brands or models? because i have seen the mustang gt/cs i think with the factory nav system, and it does look sharp.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I disagree...the shaker sucks IMO. Mine works and plays MP3's fine but the tuner in the head unit sucks (even before the 8 in antenna) Upgrade to a double DIN headunit and get a 6 disc CD changer (all of which should and can play MP3's). The touch screen 7" LCD is amazing and some of the other higher priced models do just about everything and all the 5V pre amp outputs one could ever need. Audio/electronics for cars grows and changes every few months (like Tv;'s and computers) and the technology is way ahead of the expensive "shaker upgrade" from the factory. I have a sound system in my DD that beats the Shaker 1000 hands down and paid only 700 dollars for everything except for the 10" sub and bandpass box I have used since the 90's made by Orion (the Orion sub is dead...R.I.P) but the polk DB 10's (not the new models) pound and love power.....but thats JMO

Edit: anything from Pioneer or kenwood or alpine is great (double DIN LCD touch screens)
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I had a similar problem with the Shaker not liking burned CDs. I tried different media types on two different DVD Combo drives, with different burning software, and none of it worked. The problem was not with the Shaker, the CD writing software, or the CD media itself... but with the type of drive.

What type of burner are you using? Is it a DVD/CD combo drive? If so, try burning the discs using a CD-R (or CD-R/W) drive instead. The laser a DVD drive uses is much finer than the laser in a CD drive, and I think that's the cause of the problem. I don't think the Shaker can read (reliably) the thinner encoded line.

Once I realized this, I pulled my old CD-RW drive out of my closet, put it in my machine, and burnt another disc. It works fine. If you have a CD-R drive available, try it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

+1000 on the iPod suggestion. That is what I do.... I have my iPodtouch hooked up and sitting on a Belkin cup-holder iPod stand. I never use my cd changer as a result. All of my music is sitting on the iPod (as well as my mail, calendar, movies, pictures.....). Is a good solution. It would be nice to have a head unit with a good iPod interface though.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

does anyone know if the avic-z2 or z3 with the ipod interface adaoter will let u control the ipod touch on the screen of the head unit? or does it only work with ipodvideo models?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I burn all my MP3 cd's on my Mac in iTunes. I have never had a problem playing them on my Shaker 500. In fact, using a Mac and iTunes I have never had a problem playing them on any other system either.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

If you have $1300+ to spend, then an aftermarket head unit is a good option, but if all you want to do is burn MP3 CDs, that is fairly easy to do. I had a bit of problem also when I fist started doing it but after doing a lot of reading, I came up with a good method. I am using Itunes on a PC. The problem is that there are several versions of ID3 tags and the shaker only recognizes V1. Most ripping progams use V 2 or V1V2. You have to change the ID3tag before you burn the CDs.

Here's the article I wrote a few years ago. I don;t think much has changed with the shaker since then.
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/ShakerMP3.htm
Old 07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/ShakerMP3.htm

This link might help you out a little....not sure as i havent used it since i have been shakerless for wellalmost 2years
I've used this method for making discs for my Shaker 500, worked great.

I also usedExact Audio Copyfor ripping songs from discs to get as good quality mp3's as I could get.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/inde.../introduction/
Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 2007 GT 13 months ago and I am on my 3rd Shaker 500 head unit now for the same reasons as the OP described (as well as a few others). The last replacement was just a couple of weeks ago and the dealer replaced it with a Shaker 500 unit from a 2009. It has the polished trim around the ***** and buttons and looks 1000 times better. So far so good, but next year I will be like ly replacing it anyway with a double din unit capable of playing DVDs.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

MAC + Itunes FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!
And my Shaker 500 has worked really really good and im happy with it!!
Next up i need an IPHONE for more music and some movies!!

Quick Reply: MP3 Format & Shaker 500