Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Cali questions - (AZ and CA people)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:46 AM
bhaz413
1st Gear Member

Default Going to Cali questions - (AZ and CA people)

Hola everyone! I have a general question. I am taking my 05 on a little road trip from Phoenix to California today after work for the weekend. I have SLP Loudmouths on my stang and as we all know 1) The are LOUD 2) California cops are strict on excessive noise, exhaust modifications etc.....

Being out of state, can I still get a ticket for a modified exhaust? Should I run into any problems? Is there anything elese I should know before I go out there? I have never been before, so I am looking forward to it.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Going to Cali questions - (AZ and CA people)

I have a loud exhaust and haven't gotten a ticket yet. I just lay off the pedal when cruising by a cop. If you do get pulled over then they'll probably cut you some slack since your car isn't registered in Cali.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
ruprect108

Depends on where you are going. I doubt they will bother you where I live for example but maybe not so lucky in LA. Technically they can give you a ticket for no front license plate but that is pretty rare. Have fun.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Mr. L
1st Gear Member

Also, if you have your driver and passenger side windows tinted, make sure you drive with the windows at least half way down - it's pretty strict here, at least in the Bay Area.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Mr. L
1st Gear Member

Oh, and DO NOT drive while on your cell phone, pick up a bluetooth head set if you don't have one already.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
SanchoPrez

Being someone that grew up in California and then moved to Arizona a couple of years ago, I can see the difference in strictness in laws. I live close to the California/Arizona border and still go back an forth on days off and have no cats on my x-pipe so it's loud. They won't really bother you if you have Arizona plates. If they do, they're just doing it to mess with you. Not just my personal opinion, but fact. That or they don't know what the heck they're doing.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
SanchoPrez

As far as the window tint, you're under Arizona law where you can tint like crazy. They can't ticket you. If they do and you fight it, you'll win.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

i would worry more about front window tint and the new handsfree (cellphone law) over the exhaust, Domestics dont usually get busted for stuff like that but if you were a honda then your gonna have some issues.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
MikeD916
1st Gear Member

I live in Sac and drive down to LA a lot. I have Pypes Violators. Trust me the cops won't care. The only reason why they might stop you for loud exhaust is because they want to stop you for something else. Truthfully the police in Cali have way more important things to do and rarely have time to stop people for the small things.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
rad_rob
3rd Gear Member

You should be alright. One of my buddies has SLP's on his and hasnt had any problems. Just like stated before, stay off your cell phone unless you have a headset, they are cracking down on that right now. lol

Quick Reply: Going to Cali questions - (AZ and CA people)