Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Install - A Breeze!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM
302me
2nd Gear Member

How do you adjust the angle of the lights? Some guys said they moved the direction/aimed the light for a better beam. What gets moved or adjusted?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
not a big fan of HID's in the stock housing... there's a reason they come with halogen bulbs.
amen. designed for halogen bulbs, not HIDs.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:42 PM
zed88

Well I just ordered a kit. I'll let everyone know how it goes, and try to take a few pics.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:33 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302me
How do you adjust the angle of the lights? Some guys said they moved the direction/aimed the light for a better beam. What gets moved or adjusted?
I recall using a 1/4: ratchet with an extension and like a 3/8" socket on something...it has been a while though.

Anyway, I pulled my wife's Lexus up to our garage doors (outside on the driveway) and marker her light pattern off with masking take. I also market her headlight location off on the driveway. This was at 20ish feet. I then backed up and did the same thing at 40'.

Pulled up the Stang and made it the same...FWIW, it took a couple lowering turns.

The horizontal cutoff of the Retro Solutions kit was excellent...VERY close to the OEM Lexus. There was a tad bit of area lit up on one of the upper garage door panels, but it was barely noticeable.

I am very picky about quality and have zero problems recommending the Reto kit. It is top-notch and works perfectly in our cars.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
zed88

I have to give retro solutions a big thumbs up. I ordered and had the lights 3 days later. One light failed to ignite, but after destroying it and taking a picture they had another one in the mail that arrived in 2 days (CT to IL). It as a very pleasant experience and turned what might have been a pain, into something quick and easy. I was worried about vendor support, especially with these kits but Retro Solutions came back very quickly. It certainly justified the premium over a ebay kit.

The lights are very good, and the cutoff is decent. They are much brighter than stock. I did reaim the lights lower, just to keep them from blinding anyone. No problems there. For high to low beam, it just pulls the lights in or out, adjusting the height. Its a simple and effective system. The wiring and relay are of good quality and were easy to run.

As long as the housing on my next vehicles support a HID kit I will definitely get one. It makes a huge difference for a relatively small amount of money. It also looks nice (purchased 6000k and they are bright white as advertised). I would not go above, as the other day I saw a charger at 8k or 10k and it was not only innoying but less effective than a lower color. Probably attracts the wrong type of attention from the cops too.

Either way on the 05+ stangs it makes a pretty big diffence without blinding anyone. We shall see how the quality is over the next few years. However the customer service was excellent so I'm not really worried.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

So, a good number of people have no problems putting HIDs in the factory headlight housings? Is that a pretty safe assumption overall?

I want to pull the trigger on a set of RetroSolution HIDs for the headlights and fogs.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Yep, very safe assumption. There is a select few who get all huffy and puffy about it because the "stock housing was not designed for HID's" it's all whatever anyways. Get them adjusted so that they don't shine in peoples eyes on the opposite side of the road and there is absolutely NO reason why you can't use HID's in the stock housing. You could also pay well over $500 to get the Saleen HID's, if you want to be proper and make a couple people happy Or you can pay $200 and enjoy your retro kit! I do every single night I drive the car.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

HID's were just bought and install with pics to follow- 55w bi-xenon H13 HID's in 5000k.......once they are in I will document the install ASAP