Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front spring install quote of $430

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: front spring install quote of $430

ORIGINAL: tk5075

i have an 07 gt roush stage one and i want to put steedalowering springs in the frontand i took my car to big ten tires and they said it would be $450 just for the front springs to be installed. is this right? or can i find somewhere else cheaper. they said i would need a new alighnment too
Is this the cost of parts and labor? You will need an alignment.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
LuckyFlyingROUSH
1st Gear Member

If you have the tools do it yourself. If you go to Orlieys or Advanced Auto they will rent you the spring compressors for free. Look at a tutorial on how to do it, and even if you have to buy tools you will still spend less than 100 dollars gaurenteed and it will only take you 2 hours to do it.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:07 PM
gandyj
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tk5075

i have an 07 gt roush stage one and i want to put steedalowering springs in the frontand i took my car to big ten tires and they said it would be $450 just for the front springs to be installed. is this right? or can i find somewhere else cheaper. they said i would need a new alighnment too

Like some have said it should'nt cost anywhere near 450 to have that done. I installed mine myself on my '06 Stage One. I bought an inexpensivespring compressor from the local HarborFreight store and using my air tools and jack stands it took maybe an hour. I then went to thelocal dealership for an alignment that cost around 50 dollars.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:16 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

I guess I feel like a douchbag then for paying $600 for my D-Spec and spring install including alignment.
Around here I couldn't find anyone that would touch it for less then $500 and that didn't include an alignment.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:45 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: pascal

ORIGINAL: smokestang

$450 is a disgrace..stay away from those guys! I got my roush rear springs installed for $100!first 2 places i called wanted $200 and $400, it pays to shop around!
Can you read?
OP asked for FRONT!

Rear springs are a 15 min install max, with a lift and adequate air tools. Only two 15 mm bolts (shocks) need removal, done.
Not so for the front... Lot more involved.

Having said that, $450 is too high.
The book only gives 1 1/2 hour to do the front. I do these in less than an hour...
Rear springs install -
Actually there are 4 bolts that need to be removed.
The bottom shock mount bolts AND the brake line
brackets. Forget those and the lines will be stretched
or damaged requiring replacement.
It turns a 15 min job into a big deal.
I have never paid anyone to do any mods on my stang, but...
Having said that, $450 is too high for front spring installation.
Run, run as fast as you can from that installer.
Is there any way you can tell if your line is damaged?. Any indicators?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:57 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

They're actually the rubber lines going to your calipers (from the bracket bolted to the side frame rail) and they have all the slack you need, to avoid messing them up.

I dropped a lot of these cars...
The first one was mine and since I didn't trust anything, I had a transmission jack under the pumpkin.
I lowered it slowly and the axle stopped going down after almost 2 inches upon removing the shock bolts, and the jack didn't touch the pumpkin anymore.

Anyway, when you see flex/rubber lines being straight with no slack, you know it's too late[8D].
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I agree that $450 is way too hight. I paid $380 for front and rear with an alignment. Shop around as you can do better.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

They're actually the rubber lines going to your calipers (from the bracket bolted to the side frame rail) and they have all the slack you need, to avoid messing them up.

I dropped a lot of these cars...
The first one was mine and since I didn't trust anything, I had a transmission jack under the pumpkin.
I lowered it slowly and the axle stopped going down after almost 2 inches upon removing the shock bolts, and the jack didn't touch the pumpkin anymore.

Anyway, when you see flex/rubber lines being straight with no slack, you know it's too late[8D].
Pascal.....you can put my springs on anytime!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 PM
tk5075
1st Gear Member

yea i think im going to rent the compression tool and goto the place i get my performance stuff done and see if they can do it from there, they give me relatively good deals.
or does anyone know of another chain of buisnesses that will do it for cheaper, much cheaper?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:00 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

I had a couple extra jack stands around and I put them under the lug nut threads to support the brakes while I was working on it to avoid stressing the brak lines. Lot quicker than using rope like Taco Bill did.

Quick Reply: front spring install quote of $430