Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Mid-Muffler System - Installed - My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default Pypes Mid-Muffler System - Installed - My thoughts

I ordered my pypes mid muffler setup from American Muscle who priced matched it AND gave me a returning customer discount on top of it. It showed up this past Monday and I got around to installing it on Wed. I ordered it for its sound even after reading reviews regarding fitment, rattles, etc. Well I am glad I went for it.

First off, it sounds amazing and so far no rattles whatsoever. I did the install myself and it really was not bad at all. I just used jackstands and a 3ton jack. It took me about 2hrs. I had the tips welded on instead of using the supplied clamps. No in car drone and very quiet while cruising. Screams at WOT, very impressed. The only negative thing is the passenger side tip was 2in lower than the driver side. After doing some modification to the hanger i got it with in a 1/2in but i'll be taking it to an exhaust shop in the near future to get it perfect, it just annoys me knowing that its off. Not real noticeable unless you are looking for it. Overall I'd give it an A- on the entire setup and installation process.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 AM
07 S197
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes Mid-Muffler System - Installed - My thoughts

i love mine. thesound is perfect
Old 07-06-2008, 09:53 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Yep, i couldnt be happier. Did you have any problems with the pass side tip being lower than the drivers side?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Same here and I had the same issue with the passenger side. I just told the muffler shop to cut the bracket on the pipe, push it up and re-weld it. I just touched it up with some rust-proof paint so the new weld would not rust.

I agree too....the sound is awesome!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

so you had them modify the hpipe bracket? hmm, i thought it'd be easier to modify the hanger rods
Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I have had 3 exhaust systems prior to my mid muffler set up. I really wanted the sound of a 2v or 4v mustang but kept missing my goal. The 3v heads just make these cars sound different. Then it dawned on me. These cars have NO tailpipes. That's when i ordered a set of M80 racepro mufflers from Pypes. I bought a set of 3"x15" slash cut rolled edge tips and had it all welded up. The car sounded AMAZING! Especially complimented by the headers and xpipe. Then,1 yearlater...pypes released there mid muffler SYSTEM!It's amazing the difference in sound whenyou put the mufflers in front of the axle. The tail pipes give it a completely different tone.

HUTCH
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

I must be the only one who is not happy. First, I have the tip problem on the passenger side being low. The drivers side tip is a little to high. I can not get the clamps to seal. They even sent me new clamps. Still havea spot they leak. I'm going to have the mufflers welded. I'm a little leary on how close the drivers side muffler is to the fuel tank. The drivers side took me over 2 hours on its own. Both times since I had to do it twice with the new clamps. I'm hoping by welding and not clamping I can get a different angle on the muffler so nothing else hits. Basically, im looking at another $60 to make this kit work. Its either that or be out $280. And have to get this done in less than 2 weeks. Leaving for Myrtle Beach on the 19th
Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Sorry to hear that. How do you know its leaking? Can you hear it or just feel it with your hand? The clamps were not the best imo but i got them torqued down enough to do the job. Two of the bolts got fouled up onmy clampsso i just ended up having my neighbor weld the tips on and used the clamps for them. I'll probably have mine welded as well. Make sure the clamps are slid up even with the end of the pipe you are trying to tighten down. I had a small leak where the over the axle pipe connected to the tail pipes. I just reposition the clamp and tightened it as much as i could. So far all is well.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:39 AM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

how much for welding and if you did it yourself how w/o using hangers how did you get it to the shop without damaging it ?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i used all the hangers. it was two of the clamps that i did not use. the tips clamp onto the tail pipe normally, but i just had them welded so i didnt need the clamps

Quick Reply: Pypes Mid-Muffler System - Installed - My thoughts