Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question 20" Tire and Wheels and HP #s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Default Question 20" Tire and Wheels and HP #s

This may be a stupid question but I was wondering is there any difference in Horsepower if you are running different size wheels. I know I have heard that there is a difference in braking but just seeing what kind of effect the 20" rims have on car performance. I am looking at getting a second set of wheels probably 18" for doing some autocross etc.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Question 20" Tire and Wheels and HP #s

Since you have gears and upgraded brakes, not much really. Maybe a couple rwhp that IMO is worth the look.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The 'word'is that you do lose something from the 20" rims/tires. Exactly how much thatis open to debate though.

Certainly I wouldn't use 20's in a competitive scenario but from a day to day perspectiveI don't think it matters a hoot. Besides, you'd look at the car more then you'd race it.......if you get my drift [&:]
Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Yes. This is true!! Also what is the difference in handling. I know I definately need to upgrade my suspension I have lowering springs but the ride is exremely stiff so I am going to do that next. I dont think my car is going to end up being a daily driver I am leaning towards more of a track set up. Taking it to work a few times a month. Just wondering what the feel is like when you are cornering on 20s vs. 18s/17s there just does not look like much rubber on the side walls of my 20s and not sure if I would trust them in really aggressive cornering...

I should have just bought a 427R track pack and got it over with.. but the building is fun.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The lower profile of the 20's will actually give you a firmer, more confident, cornering experience. Even though there isn't much side wall movement on decent 18" rubber, 20's will always be better.

The downside to 20's is that you do get some road/tire slap on some bumps and potholes and train tracks etc will become more of an obstacle than before. However, it's not all that bad, definately worth it IMHO.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Forget about those giant 20" pimp wheels if you like to go fast. You can get great looking wheels that are 18" and 15" Bogarts look totally badass.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

You see Hootna, you have to see through the hater crap like that ^^^A few RWHP is all you'll lose.

Can you imagine how "badass" 15" rims will be on your autocross course ? LMAO
Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I am normally not a fan of huge rims am old school but mine look really nice and whomever owned the car before did a good job of picking the rims and all setting the cars stance. Now this is for looks and I do realize that looks and functionality dont go hand in hand when it comes to all out racing. I am not going for a full on race machine just a functional machine that will work for doing some track time. I do want a set of racing tires to get the best grip possible and will probably go with 17s or 18s as there appears to be no selection on the 20s unless you get the NT555s which I have already. I am also concerned about my upgraded brakes fitting with 17s but assume 14" rotors should fit the 18s...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

20's will not affect cornering as much. But at the drag strip due to the low profile of the tire and greater rotational inertia, you will lose some traction and your et times will suffer accordingly.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

The lower profile of the 20's will actually give you a firmer, more confident, cornering experience. Even though there isn't much side wall movement on decent 18" rubber, 20's will always be better.

The downside to 20's is that you do get some road/tire slap on some bumps and potholes and train tracks etc will become more of an obstacle than before. However, it's not all that bad, definately worth it IMHO.
+1
My 20's make my car IMO.
Just add more HP and stopping power.

BTW Marcus I am totallyenvious of your big brake kit[:@]

Quick Reply: Question 20" Tire and Wheels and HP #s