Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need of advice for power gains ( Please Help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 AM
gt_500

Default Need of advice for power gains ( Please Help)

Hey guys, I have a 2005 gt, with a K&N cold air intake, vortech s-trim supercharger with pulley upgrade to 12.5 psi, LT headers, exhaust ( came with cervini's kit), and 410 gears, and a zex nitrous system. I got it tuned at the mustang shop in calgary alberta. On the dyno my car made 380rwhp, with calgarys high alitude the tuner figured it was between 480-500bhp.

Throughout this, i still feel the need for more power, and i also am not satisfied for what i get out of it on the street.

So this winter i plan on piping in a new intercooler, and doing methane injection, then taking it back out to calgary to have it retuned. ( I dont want to have to use spray). Has anyone done this before? Is there better idea's to get my power gains for the same price range?

Any advice is much apruciated, thanx guys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/100376/BDF2A1E7C8734F2EA42944546999794C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 AM
sharkbait20
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need of advice for power gains ( Please Help)

if your running 13 psi you must obviously be running bigger injectors and beefier fuel pump....
if money isnt tying you down, you could always:
forge the internals; crank the boost
stroke the motor, forge the internals, and then add more boost
blower cams
port/polish the heads
delete plates
overdrive pulley
driveshaft
uh......... water injection
electric water pump
bigger radiator
throw some ice cubes in your new intercooler

im stumped now... haha
Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 AM
gt_500

I haven't changed the injectors, unless the tuner decided to leave that off the bill, but i am runing the gt500 fuel pump.

So basically you are saying i have to start moving internal...haha im out of bolt-ons

Do you think the alcohol injection would work with an intercooler? as the website i got the idea from, wasnt using intercooled cars..

Take a look, tell me what you think: http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html
Old 07-10-2008, 03:56 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

If your injectors are still stock you might definetly have more left in it with more tuning more boost and a better intercooler i dont see why 450 couldnt be made.

Hell were making 400rwhp with v6's and 12psi...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 AM
gt_500

So you think i could do yet another pulley upgrade?

As for the tuning i heard my guy is pretty legit, i assume most of you guys are from the states but hes regarded as the top 2 mustang tuners in canada. I also think he tuned my car for driveability.

And i definatly plan on doing the intercooler i just want to know if the alcohol injection is a good idea, as the people from http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html
do not use intercoolers in thier cars..

Also my tuner said that nitrous is just a ticket toward buying a new engine, because it melts pistons like its it's job, but with enough octane and meth injection should i be ok to run a little cheater shot of nitrous?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt_500

So you think i could do yet another pulley upgrade?

As for the tuning i heard my guy is pretty legit, i assume most of you guys are from the states but hes regarded as the top 2 mustang tuners in canada. I also think he tuned my car for driveability.

And i definatly plan on doing the intercooler i just want to know if the alcohol injection is a good idea, as the people from http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html
do not use intercoolers in thier cars..

Also my tuner said that nitrous is just a ticket toward buying a new engine, because it melts pistons like its it's job, but with enough octane and meth injection should i be ok to run a little cheater shot of nitrous?
I swear if your tuner thinks nitrous a ticket towards a new engine than pack your **** find a new tuner to go to. Thats rediculous, i have seen cars with stock motors that have gone through so much nitrous i can't even imagine the price of it all. If your nitrous is setup correct its completely safe. I think everyone who knows what they are doing will agree.

Now on the other hand, spraying an already boosted motor brings up a huge debate. That i don't want to start. I don't know what other people with your similar setup are making but hopefully they can chime in. its 4am and I haven't slept yet. goodluck. If you have no intercooler at all right now that will def show huge gains with the ability to run more timing. Water-meth kits do work very well but i just think they are kinda lame.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

You mentioned piping in a new intercooler, do you already have an intercooler now? If not this is the first step I would do but remember if you ad an intercooler to a non intercooled set up you will lose a little boost. 12 pounds on a stock block is more then I would trust for longevity. I would add the intercooler and use the nos to cool the intercooler on track days or for my race tune. You can add a line infront of the intercooler and use the nos system to cool it off but use meth instead of nos in the bottle, with this you can add a more agresive race tune so on track days this will add some to the performance. I would also get blower cams and if you havent already done so get delete plates. if the injectors are stock then get bigger ones now so when you go more horses you arent starved for fuel. I would add forged internals also for durability and they do add some better performance compaired to the stock internals. I also recomend a windage tray and a bigger oil pan to help keep things a bit better lubed. After the internals and injectors I would up the boost.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Did this tuner not give you a dynosheet or a dynotune?they shouldtell you what your RWHP isand most people consider 450-475rwhp the limit on stock internals. and yes, a small shot of nitrous could blow your engine if you are nearing the 450rwhp already.. but I haven't heard of melting pistons.

Switching from a vortech to a Whipple or a Kenne Belle will mean you can get more HP from lower PSI.. I believe vortechis inefficient compared to twinscrews and turbos.

Forge your internals if you want to push that 450rwhp barrier. A 1 piece alluminum driveshaft at your power level is also a good idea.. will give you more rwhp. It's been said before that the RWHP isn't everything, it also depends on the tune and heat and other factors because occasionally you'll find someone running close to 500rwhp on stock internals. and some people blow their engines on 460rwhp.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Methanol injection would be wise with or without an intercooler. Don't run any more boost if your bottom end is stock! In fact I would never go more than 10psi on a stock motor. You will snap rods man!

Do the I/C and Methanol kit. You will love them. Be sure to get a progressive Alky kit. Also if you are running 12.5 psi on stock injectors and you are making as little power as stated on that boost, I would suggest a different tuner! At those boost levels you should have upgraded your injectors, and at least add either an intercoller or Alky by now! You intake temps mustbe screamin!!!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
gt_500

Sorry guys! I checked my injectors and i switched them to 80's, as i think the stock ones are 50's?

As for my dyno sheet, my car made 379 horspower at 5100rpm. This is because i still had the stock fuel pump and the injectors were running max duty cycle, so now that i am putting in the gt500 fuel pump i will be able to get full dyno pulls. I DO NOT HAVE AN INTERCOOLER OR METH INJECTION YET. I just am still working to pay off the car.. My intake temps are 205, wich is bad i know, especially where i live in canada, kelowna's temps during the summer are always from 35 - 40, so 90 to 100 i guess?

What i heard from the nitrous, is that it burns so hot that the stock piston melts, at the bottom of the ring it bends up in a u-shape, this is what my dad said.

I have seen the running line of nitrous into the from of the intercooler before, how much less effective is it? How do i go about putting the methane into the nitrous bottle? isnt it a liquid?

Thank you guys, all the help is much appruciated!

Quick Reply: Need of advice for power gains ( Please Help)