Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 testing on NA 08 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM
mustangman0303

Default RE: E85 testing on NA 08 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V

E85 is highly corrosive. Its gong to eat at anything thats not metal in your engine for lunch. Plastics, gaskets, and seals wont last under prolonged use. If yourcar isnt designated E85 friendly its not a good idea to use it.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ffk_pennywise

Very interesteng read! 9hp is awesome for sure. But I agree on E85 sucking *****. Last week I finally ran a tank through my 04 Explorer to see how it did. I lost 3mpg and it ran like crap at startup. Bucking and surging for about 15 seconds then everything would return to normal. I figured up that it would cost me an extra 10 bucks a month to run the stuff. I'll pass.

Does sound like great solution for track use, however.
I'm planning on switching over as well. Not for gas mileage, but for the horsepower. When I get my nitrous, I'm sure it'll really help. The problem with putting it in your Explorer is that it is not tuned for it. It has an adaptive program that "learns" and reacts to changes in the fuel. But that's not the same thing. If it were to be tuned for it specifically, you wouldn't have those problems.

ORIGINAL: mustangman0303

E85 is highly corrosive. Its gong to eat at anything thats not metal in your engine for lunch. Plastics, gaskets, and seals wont last under prolonged use. If yourcar isnt designated E85 friendly its not a good idea to use it.
All modern cars can withstand E85. The only reason that they are not sold as "flex fuel" vehicles, is that it costs money to certify a car for it, and they don't figure that a car like the Mustang is worth it. It also costs money to add that adaptive tuning to the car. And as I stated above, you really need a specific tune for what you're going to run if you want to get the best performance out of it.

-

I do not think E85 is the solution to our problems, and on a daily driver, I would never run it. But it's damned cheap race gas!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

This E85 **** pisses me off. Ignorant Americans are jumping on the bandwagon because the politicians SAY it's good. They're only saying that because if they seem environmentally friendly, that means more votes. The fact is that E85 is destroying natrual vegetation and contributing to environmental decline faster than a gas guzzler ever has. Not to mention how high food prices are going with the ever increasing lack of food supply. We use to export crops and now we're slowly losing that income to our economy. This was a temporary fix for a small amount of vehicles. The world can't keep up fast enough for the demand that is coming from this false solution. Sooner or later this is going to cause some serious economical disasters and it will be sooner rather than later. I urge you guys to give this some serious reading into. The simple numbers is that it costs more for us to make a small percentage more ethanol than gasoline. We use oil to make the E85 which gets worse gas mileage, and does more harm to the overall scheme of things.

I hope this fad goes away and soon.

Here's a good read: http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2006/5/23/23846/0807
Old 07-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Eight433
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

15 seconds of running rough? Im not even out of the driveway in 15 second. also you wouldnt spend $10 a month to support americans?

Very interesteng read! 9hp is awesome for sure. But I agree on E85 sucking *****. Last week I finally ran a tank through my 04 Explorer to see how it did. I lost 3mpg and it ran like crap at startup. Bucking and surging for about 15 seconds then everything would return to normal. I figured up that it would cost me an extra 10 bucks a month to run the stuff. I'll pass.

Does sound like great solution for track use, however.
Not when I'm already spending around $800 a month on fuel. There is one pump in my area thats 5 miles up the road, is in the diesel section of the truck stop, does not have pay at the pump. My wife is not going to go there and get gas in her 12mpg Explorer (on E85) to support Americans. We both served in the Army so I think we've supported Americans enough. $10 bucks here and there starts adding up.
i find this rather entertaining. you say you spend 800 a month on fuel, but you are unwilling to spend another 10 bucks a month. 10 dollars on top of 800 dollars is 1 1/4% increase. seems rather insignificant to me. As for the e85/fossil fuel debate, i wouldent touch that with a 39 1/2 foot pole [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Old 07-10-2008, 05:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I wanna see Propane conversions.
The technology has been there and that source of energy is plentiful...

Let's all get forklifts!!

BTW Justin, nice write-up.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 PM
cubican
1st Gear Member

Will you be back in texas any time soon. I have an X-charger 4.0 car and plenty of E-85 in Dallas.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

I cringe whenver I put E10 in my GT when I fill up. There arent any stations around me that has 100% gasoline anymore. My car gets worse gas mileage as well. Even my daily driver which is a ZX2 hates it and runs like crap.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: NaplesFL05GT

I cringe whenver I put E10 in my GT when I fill up. There arent any stations around me that has 100% gasoline anymore. My car gets worse gas mileage as well. Even my daily driver which is a ZX2 hates it and runs like crap.
You car shouldnt run like crap just becuase the gas has 10% blend in it....like you stated all gas is pretty much a ethonal blend. If it runs like crap you have other issues. Could just be bad gas at that station or whatever but considering the everyone uses it everyones car would be running like crap then too.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

All stations here have 10% ethanol, and I get over 20mpg city, 30 hwy, and 27 interstate.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
JTE_502
2nd Gear Member

Well this is one debate that will always get me fired up. Its almost disgusting hearing the people complaining because we are trying to become a self sufficient country (even though yes I know we are far from it), but its a step in the right direction. I'm a farmer and I see a much different picture than most of you do. You see the higher food prices in the stores and complain about them, the problem is that this country has never been hungry before. Everything in this country has been going up in price since the beginning of time, other than the prices us farmers get for our crops, because that is controlled by the Chicago Board of Trade. This country has always had an over supply of food thanks to us farmers, and because of that over supply and the extremely low prices of grains, it has put many farmers out of business, and has made the government step in and have to pass Farm Bills just so we can continue to live and work. Finally grain prices are up, but yet they are still nowhere as high as if they had kept up with inflation all these years. Sure its easy for all of you to say no to ethanol because its hurting you due to higher food prices and such, but remember that there are MANY farmers who have been suffering for a long long time growing cheap crops so this country can eat. There are both sides to the story, sadly most will never ever see the side that I see daily...

Quick Reply: E85 testing on NA 08 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V