Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

foose nitrous with baer gt plus brake kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 PM
mandoq
3rd Gear Member

Default foose nitrous with baer gt plus brake kit ?

Does anyone know if the baer gt plus big brake kit fits with the 20' foose nitrous? since i bought the staggered wheels i have to push the brakepedalall the way down. Also it takes longer to stopwith wider tires.. so im thinking about getting the baer gt plus brake system, butdont know if its compatible with the nitrous wheels

[IMG]local://upfiles/75778/B6157A207D4147958C7C678C0DDE829B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/75778/6303FD216D7940BE821D98AB413A581E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: foose nitrous with baer gt plus brake kit ?

It has been repeatedly said that running a $1400 big brake kit is a waste of money on any mustang with less than 600hp. The stock brakes are more than adequate and it has nothing to do with them being weak. Just calibrate your current brakes.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with upgrading ones brakes and higher HP numbers have nothing to do with braking hard into corners. If one is going to go fast one needs to be able to stop just as quickly and big brakes give one consistent stopping with less brake fade. I see everyone has no problem spending thousands on going faster... My first upgrade was my brakes.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:32 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

The answer is no, sorry. You can't put anything bigger behind the Nitrous wheels. There is no clearance at all between the caliper and the wheel even with stock calipers.

However if you contact Baer, I know they are the ones who made the calpiers for the Foose Stallion, which fit behind the nitrous wheels. I know for a fact though that they are not larger rotors. The calipers may or may not be better than stock, but they say Foose, which is kinda cool.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hootna

There is nothing wrong with upgrading ones brakes and higher HP numbers have nothing to do with braking hard into corners. If one is going to go fast one needs to be able to stop just as quickly and big brakes give one consistent stopping with less brake fade. I see everyone has no problem spending thousands on going faster... My first upgrade was my brakes.
Yes there is, its both heavy, useless and expensive. The reason HP has anything to do with brakes is because HP raises top speed/make you get there easier, if you also remove the speed limiter. Big brakes do NOT make the car stop quicker to any noticable extent. Putting big brakes on the Mustang and comparing the gains to stock in stopping distance gets you so little result that it would be like buying an intake and tune for $4200 (*I used brembo's mustang stoping distance as a refference for Baers as they don't have the info I wanted about them). Also the stock brakes are nearly impossible to fade. In fact several ford racing mustangs have the stock GT brakes. Not because it is cheeper to do it but because they dont need anything bigger.

With that said bigger brakes are easier to drive on because they feel better, and they look much better
Old 07-12-2008, 05:04 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

Before you spend money on new brakes, I would investigate why you have to push the pedal to floor to stop. That's not correct behavior. Also, wider tires should result in shorter stopping distances - more grip (which is the governing factor on these cars) before ABS kicks in. Fix your problem, then get a good set of pads and I bet you'll be more than happy.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
2k3gt

Baer Claw GT Plus system 14 inch rotors front and 12 rear.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Ok I agree.. I was wrong.. I appreciate the information and will put my stock GT brakes back on immediately. Well either that or may just add a turbo or two so I can hit the magical 600hp brake upgrade mark...[sm=vader.gif]
Old 07-12-2008, 06:15 PM
infinityonhigh
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Big brakes do NOT make the car stop quicker to any noticable extent. Putting Brembo brakes on the Mustang and comparing the gains to stock in stopping distance gets you so little result. Also the stock brakes are nearly impossible to fade. In fact several ford racing mustangs have the stock GT brakes. Not because it is cheeper to do it but because they don't need anything bigger.

With that said bigger brakes are easier to drive on because they feel better, and they look much better
I am not trying to start an argument or insult your knowledge, but honestly I don't believe you are talking from experience. I guarantee that if you ever track your car you will see that stock GT brakes are more prone to brake fade than you think. Although, the stock GT brakes are nothing to brush off either. They are very good for their intended street purpose, but otherwise they will need some upgrading if one intends to be more involved with tracking their car.
Again, I don't believe you have had experience with plus size breaking systems on this car. They do make a noticeable difference and help tremendously when adding bigger than stock wheels or wanting to go deeper into the turns. Also, the ford racing cars do have modified breaking systems. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "stock" as they are far from being stock GT brakes. If you can prove me wrong please do. I will apologize for my condescending manner and take what I have said back, but I have confidence that I will not have to as this is what I have experienced first hand.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: infinityonhigh

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Big brakes do NOT make the car stop quicker to any noticable extent. Putting Brembo brakes on the Mustang and comparing the gains to stock in stopping distance gets you so little result. Also the stock brakes are nearly impossible to fade. In fact several ford racing mustangs have the stock GT brakes. Not because it is cheeper to do it but because they don't need anything bigger.

I am not trying to start an argument or insult your knowledge, but honestly I dont believe you are talking from experience.
In my oppinion the easiest way to find a noobie driver is to find some one who talks about how fast a cars preformance numbers are by how fast it feels. Youre doing that right now. Ive had this conversation about a million times but on the plus side you are being polite. Ill get onto answering your concerns.

I guarantee that if you ever track your car you will see that stock GT brakes are more prone to brake fade than you think.
Well there are multiple types of sitatuons that have to do with brake fade, if we are talking about hardcore situations involving consistent abuse beyond the scope a simple race then the brakes will fade to a point where it slows you down. Otherwise there shoud be very little loss of actual braking power. Lots of times this depends on your driving style, but if you are driving correctly brake fade on stock brakes should only happen in extreem sitations which i don't see a reason for in a normal person experiencing. Considering both the fact that a brake kit installed is extremely expensive, and that it adds a lot of unsprung weight and hurts handeling you should only go for it if you really need it, or like the looks.

Although, the stock GT brakes are nothing to brush off either. They are very good for their intended street purpose, but otherwise they will need some upgrading if one intends to be more involved with tracking their car.
Ford Racing makes 4 main cars. Two of the are fast and two of them are slow. Both of the slow ones only have ford racing brake pads and the ford racing brake booster part. The Mustang is not a Ford Focus it has huge brakes stock. This is a typical problem where people try to fix what isnt broken. When I was more into Subarus you would have people lots of times installing lowering springs and then going rally racing. They were lots slower than stock because the car was already low enough for the aplication. Why did they do it? Who knows. That reason is probably having something to do with wanting to do the popular thing, instead of making sense of what they want.

Again, I dont believe you have had experience with plus size breaking systems on this car.
Its difficult to talk to you because of the situation that you think you need to actually test out a big brake kit to understand what its going to do to a car with already good brakes. Most of the problems with brakes can be retroactivly judged if you just assume that big brakes solve all problems which they bassically do. For example if your initial braking force doesnt hit strong enough or smoothly enough that would be solved. Other than the fact that youre missing the point like I said I will point out that I have tested with the Saleen 302 car as an example for your concern.

They do make a noticeable difference and help tremendously when adding bigger than stock wheels or wanting to go deeper into the turns.
If youre having this problem then your modulation and brake pedal work isnt right, you have to be smooth in engaging the brake pedal on the mustang because its pads tend to clamp a few miliseconds appart each time for various reasons, so braking a few tenths of a second earlier but with little to no brake force initially means they will engage quicker and more predictably. Also you might want to try upgrading or resurfacing your pads.

Quick Reply: foose nitrous with baer gt plus brake kit ?