Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can solve my problem..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM
hecktic33gt
1st Gear Member

Default What can solve my problem..?

okay so heres the deal. I went to shop JDM Engineering(mustang stop) to get a full exhaust done and a cold air kit and a 93 octane tune. The cold air kit they put on my car is a special "JDM engineering" kit. This shop is one of the best repped shops in NJ so i figured i'd give em a shot. A lil expensive, but it all went great and i'm happy. About 10 months later i went for the 4.10 gears in my auto 05 mustang. I got my gears done at a different shop called Crazy Horse because they had better pricing. Boy, was that a mistake. I've been riding around for about 6 months now with my check engine light on. It goes on and off at no set times, just randomely. So i've been going back to Crazy Horse for them to fix it and they cant because JDM engineering put in there own "special" tune and have their own air kit on and crazy horse can't get into the tune, so he made his own custom one. The day i picked up my car with the 4.10's he said he was having problems with the check engine light. I sat there for maybe 4 hours testing and tuning my car, having him throw in tunes into my car. I took the last tune he gave me out of frustration and left. My car runs 13.4's consistently on the track, should it be running faster do you think with all the mods i have in my sig?

..i dont know how to fix this problem. I went back to JDM engineering cuz crazy horse said its just a tune, the 4.10 gears shouldnt of made it go off. And jdm says i need to go back to ford to have them re-flash my computer and some bull**** when they have the capabilities of doing it themselves. Everytime i go back to JDM they blow me off with some excuse. It seems im stuck in a mess right now cuz neither shop wants to deal with me anymore because neither want to feel responsible for causing my check engine light to go on/stay on/or make my car even worse. Who do you think is reponsible for the check engine light to appear? JDM Engineering cuz its their tune or Crazy Horse cuz their the last person to touch my car? So..the question is..will a dyno-tune fix my problem? The car is still fast but bogs at times and has literally at least a 3 second lag when i stomp on the pedal. ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED. thank you

*Oh and when i plug in my SCT tuner its an idle air ctrl and now some evap. I had both shops check it out, all they do is clear it off and send me home. And when i get home..it goes back on. and these shops are a good half hour away from my house i can't tell u how much time and gas i've wasted going back and forth...
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What can solve my problem..?

First off you are going into it with the misconseption that JDM can reflash your car to stock, they can't, only a Ford dealer can do that, which is why they told you to do it.
Sounds like everthing was ok, till you went to Crasyhorse, and then they tried to mess with JDM's tune and made things even worse, which is why JDM tried to have you reflash to stock.
That way JDM would be able to retune from there.
Is this about how things happen, or did I misunderstand?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:44 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

The idle air control and evap (without the numbers for codes) seems to be a vacuum leak or a sensor malfunction or came loose. Sounds like it is not the tune from JDM and somehow (maybe coincidence?) after the install at Crazyhorse something started to malfunction. Make sense? So go to Ford and tell them the codes and have them check it out. While there have them re-flash for a stock tune (if you need it for JDM) and go back to JDM for a "new" tune or have them install the previous tune on the SCT. JDM is not (IMO) the problem and the last shop to work on the car should handle everything. Why are they just clearing the codes and not looking into them? Sucks but check with Ford first and then once fixed go back to JDM to correct the tune for your CAI and exhaust setup. Unfortuneately it might cost you some money out of your pocket but who knows.... hopefully others can help
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 PM
hecktic33gt
1st Gear Member

No JDM does have the capabilities to reflash the computer the guy at crazy horse said they can. They just lied to me cuz they didnt feel like doing it to me. This JDM shop is in magazines and their legit they have everything. I was just at a meet and i mentioned JDM cuz i got my work done there and this guy was telling me NEVER to go to JDM cuz their so overpriced and they bull**** you to death. They talk down to you like ure a POS and don't know anything. The guy at crazy horse is cool he understands my situation but i dunno im pissed that neither shop is helping me out right now..and i dont feel like going to ford to have it reflashed and then having to pay for another tune. thats not fair to me ya know just cuz the shop messes up why do I have to pay for it?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:45 PM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

Seems like a pretty bad hole your in right now. I'm surprized they didnt give you your tune on a SCT.

Seems like Kayaker might have a point. Maybe you haveto slap on the stock air box and have Ford bring you back to stock and take it from there.

Do you have a Ford Racing shop anywhere close? If you do pass by a Ford speed shop and speak with one of the techs, ask for anyone that takes care of the tunes,and hopefully you'll find a cool one that will help you.

It's worked for me before.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2008, 02:51 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hecktic33gt

No JDM does have the capabilities to reflash the computer the guy at crazy horse said they can. They just lied to me cuz they didnt feel like doing it to me. This JDM shop is in magazines and their legit they have everything. I was just at a meet and i mentioned JDM cuz i got my work done there and this guy was telling me NEVER to go to JDM cuz their so overpriced and they bull**** you to death. They talk down to you like ure a POS and don't know anything. The guy at crazy horse is cool he understands my situation but i dunno im pissed that neither shop is helping me out right now..and i dont feel like going to ford to have it reflashed and then having to pay for another tune. thats not fair to me ya know just cuz the shop messes up why do I have to pay for it?
I think you have it backwards.

Crazy Horse (wouldn't let somebody with this name touch my car) told you that JDM can reflash the PCM to stock. This is not true. Therefore, he lied, not JDM. This guy sounds like he is trying to shift the blame from him to the other shop. Maybe he did something (broke it, messed something up, by accident or whatever) to your car while it was in his care (for the gears) and he isn't telling you.

They just don't feel like doing it? They are a pretty legit shop it sounds like and I'm sure if they could help, they would.

They aren't talking down to you and treating like you don't know anything for no reason. It is because you won't listen to them and go to the Ford dealership to have your computer reflashed, so they actually can help you.

Go to the dealership, have them look at the codes and reflash the computer. Take it back to JDM and I'm sure they will help you and get you a new tune for free.

-Eric
Old 07-19-2008, 06:46 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

That stinks but could you get an other tune from one of the guys that sponsor here? Would cost you 300+ but they give you the hand held that you can control
Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure how u could be getting a check engine light from a gear install. Nor can I see the tune just magically going bad and throwing a code 2 months in unless it was tampered with. Crazy horse could have tampered with the tune inorder to set it for the new gear axle ratio.If you have the XCal2, u should be able to turn the car back to stock- if not u have to go to ford. Put the stock airbox back in before you do this though! It seems to me that its a malfunction of some sort. Pull the code, and look it up on the intranets and u will get a lot of info on it.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

You did say you have your own SCT...right. If so.

I'd just buy a race tune from Bama, it gets emailed to you. Download it onto your SCT then load it onto the car.
Make sure you get the correct strategy code. Just use your SCT to pull the code. Issue resolved.

Another test...first of all, the 1st thing the SCT does when connected is save your stock tune to it.
You could always put the stock air box back on and use the SCT to return to stock. Of course the
speedo will be off and I'm not sure on how the 02 sensors will respond.

Important: If you're going to let the dealer reflash, make sure you use the SCT and return it to stock.
If the dealer reflashes your car, and you didn't return to stock..DO NOT attempt to load a tune from the SCT,
the strategy codes won't match and the car will not start. Your SCT will need to be wiped clean.

Seriously though....If it were me, screw all the troubleshooting crap and just buy a race tune from Bama.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:23 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

not sure how u could be getting a check engine light from a gear install. Nor can I see the tune just magically going bad and throwing a code 2 months in unless it was tampered with. Crazy horse could have tampered with the tune inorder to set it for the new gear axle ratio.
+1, I'm sure this is what happened. JDM does not send "open" tunes. They do not have the user adjustable parameters on. All you had to do was tell Crazy Horse to just install the gears and leave the rest alone. Then you should have called JDM and have them Email you a new tune for the 4.10 gear ratio, they would've done it for free likely.

No JDM does have the capabilities to reflash the computer the guy at crazy horse said they can. They just lied to me cuz they didnt feel like doing it to me.
No they don't. The guy at Crazy horse is either 1)guilty or
this guy was telling me NEVER to go to JDM
2) jealous.

The day i picked up my car with the 4.10's he said he was having problems with the check engine light.
Bingo!! Why was he ^&amp*&ing with it in the first place?

JDM engineering put in there own "special" tune and have their own air kit on and crazy horse can't get into the tune, so he made his own custom one.
DUH!!

Just do what JDM and most everyone else is telling you to do, go to Ford, reflash to stock and then order another tune from JDM. JDM has never charged me for updated tunes when i made another mod.

Quick Reply: What can solve my problem..?