Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven Exhaust Tips!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:13 PM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Uneven Exhaust Tips!

You can move it on either place as long as it stays in enough that you will tighten and it will hold.

I usually do it on the midpipe and H connection.

No more than 15min including jacking it up.

And a few cement blocks with a peice of wood on top make good enough stands for this job. You dont have to lay the car on them, just have them there in case the jack slips out.

But the truth is if you take it to the shop and explain it to them they shouldnt have a prob fixin that i would think.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 AM
michaellefebvre

The sad-case "mecanic" who installed my flowmasters left them slightly uneven as well,
but i was so glad to get out of the shop with my car in one piece that I think i'm going to leave them that way!

At one point in the install, the service manager calls me into the garage to show me that they flowmasters
would not fit!

I had never before seen the underside of my car,and never seen the brackets that hold the mufflers, but it only
took me a second to show these doofuses that they were trying to install the muffler with the brackets on
backwards!

unreal...
Old 07-20-2008, 11:27 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem. I was able to adjust by loosening the clamp that connects the muffler to the over axle pipe and twisting and moving the muffler in and out until I got what I needed. It took some trial and error but my tips are lined up good now.
It just takes some time and patience but you can do it.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

I think we sort of discussed having this problem before (AlloySixxer and I).

This last week I threw the car up on stands and attacked the exhaust system... my goal was to make it as true as possible. I spent 3 hours adjusting every little piece, and it still isn't perfect perfect. BUt for the tips, the best way to adjust how far they stick out is to lossen the clamps that hold the midpipes to the over-the-axle-piping. You can either try pushing the midpipe of the muffler that sticks too far out in towards the engine, or vise versa with the other muffler. The tips on mine are both sticking out the same length now, but the angle still appears to be slightly off. I'm really the only one that can notice it though - went to a car show yesterday and nobody said a word.

hope this helps!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Ok now as far as jacking it up...can I use the stands that come with it to change the tires? I have mine and three others from my parents vehicles if that works.

And thanks for the help everyone
Old 07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
prplhze05GT

my 05 gt came with the stainless tips that are cut at 45 then the long sharp tip has a radius cut in it. on the driver side if you stand over and look ddown at the tips it is rotated about 5 degrees. its one of things that i always wanted to fix but its not real high on the priority list.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AlloySixxer

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

you paid someone to bend the hangers.
Unfortunately...[&:]Anyway your saying to undo the bolt where the muffler meets the midpipe and adjust from there?
yes and if needed loosen the pipes over the axles. you basically play with it, and spin it. was a pain in the *** to get my GTAs to fit perfect.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:10 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

heck when I put my muffler on it kept touching the bottom curve under the precut exhuast hole was took some of the paint right off and it molded to the muffler .... when I used a box cutter to extend the hole I took it off though.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:39 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

As a last resort, you could have the existing tips cut off and new ones welded on.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

I cut a wooden shim and placed it in the rubber hanger. See capture. Just placed a floor jack under the muffler pipe, jack it up to the point you want, place the shim in and your done. I have had this setup for quit some tme now, and it hasn't budged.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/239F58B3C68F46E6BE54DD8E94FA2A7A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Uneven Exhaust Tips!