Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there a big difference between manual and automatic in speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: is there a big difference between manual and automatic in speed ?

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

yes manuals are so great , lets compare how many people blow manual transmissions to automatic transmissions .

not to mention not having to shift every 5 seconds every time you drive.

the point is , manuals are fun for about a week , which is enough time for you to realize how unpractical they are.

and try getting remote start on a manual
Spoken like someone who never learned to drive a manual. If as you say manuals are only fun for a week then these last 40 years of driving manuals for me has been a really long week. If you think shifting is "unpractical" then you've never experience the enjoyment of driving a manual. With a manual you "drive" the car, with an auto you "ride' in the car. If you like riding, more power to you. You think a remote start increases the driving enjoyment of the car? Let me see, insert key, turn it and push a button, wow, that was fun! Read the threads on the different Mustang forums, there are a lot more auto owners wishing they had a manual than the other way around.

The bottom line is, get what you like or are able to operate. For me that's a manual.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Read the threads on the different Mustang forums, there are a lot more auto owners wishing they had a manual than the other way around.
I have for several years and any Mustang owners that have a stick but are over 550 RWHP all want to convert an automatic. Shift a car with over 550 RWHP isn't practical. Not only are there issues with the stock manual tranny holding up but if you miss a gear and your possibly risking catastrophic failure (or losing a race).

Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Read the threads on the different Mustang forums, there are a lot more auto owners wishing they had a manual than the other way around.
I have for several years and any Mustang owners that have a stick but are over 550 RWHP all want to convert an automatic. Shift a car with over 550 RWHP isn't practical. Not only are there issues with the stock manual tranny holding up but if you miss a gear and your possibly risking catastrophic failure (or losing a race).

If you like to "ride" in your car then I'm happy for you. I prefer to "drive" mine. To each their own. As for manual shifting, here's a little history lesson about one of the very best:

http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/R_Sox15.html
Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: funtimesalways

ORIGINAL: Whiteflash454
...it chirps both 2nd and 3rd gear...and it hauls ***.....
you chirp 3rd? i wanna see this on youtube or something. i am going to do some searching, because i find it very hard to believe an auto is quicker than the 5sp. im off to edmunds or something...
Yes, the autos can chirp 3rd (with my Bama tune anyways).
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Matrix

My Mustang is a weekend car so I got a stick because they are more fun to drive. If I were going to commute in it everyday I probably would have gotten an auto for convenience. But I do generally feel that if you are planning on building a car to run down in the 11s or quicker an auto is easier.

FWIW I converted my 70 GTO from auto to a TKO. Best thing I ever did to the car.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

wow...this discussion is always fun...well...I had an 05 mustang gt with a saleen series VI and an auto tran. that car flew like the wind...422 rwhp and 416 torque....the only problem with driving it was.....wait there wasn't any problem..it was a fun car to drive and it would tear the tires off in 1st...smoke in 2nd and easily chirp third..(which by the way was not a good thing because that simply meant traction was for ****..) I raced my brothers and a local persons stock gt500 and held my own...the tune I had was awesome,,,the shifts were crisp and sweet as hell....I sold it to get my current car....08 gt500...obviously a manual 6 spd. now I love driving this car as well.....even more so at times...the down shifting the ability to shift on conering etc...albeit with the gt500 its not as necessary as the sweet spot it easily obtainable,,,,,HOWEVER>...driving through traffic daily it definitely gives my leg a workout...... especially if you are not familiar with how do drive the gt500 dual disc clutch...which at first can be tricky...but I do love the 6 speed....
which one do I like more....if I had to choose....the edge would go to my 6 speed manual....it is a very slight edge and mainly it is due to personal preferences....like the ability to downshift (which I know can be done on an auto). however when sitting in traffic(which is daily for me) I would much rather have an auto...but currently my 6pd is my best friend,,,,
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 AM
joemagna
2nd Gear Member

Had 07 manual, now have 08 auto. I miss the manual, but in a DD in atlanta traffic, I love the auto. Plus, it is faster than the manual due to faster shifts with bama race tune. And yes, it easily chirps third with 17in wheels, 20in wheels, not so easily, but will do it.

Side note to Cavediver, I drive my car. I dont just ride in it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gman73

This would be my guess if an auto and manual raced with all factors being equal. The auto would give more consistant times and might win more often, but the manual will give the fastest time.

Explain to me how the manual would have a faster time when the auto would beat him by a car length each and every time?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cavediver

ORIGINAL: zkiller

If you like to "ride" in your car then I'm happy for you. I prefer to "drive" mine. To each their own. As for manual shifting, here's a little history lesson about one of the very best:

http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/R_Sox15.html

Your perspective about driving is the same one the astronauts had. The Mercury-Gemini-Apollo flights just rode their ships while the shuttle pilot flys his. Might be true, but the earlier pilots had bigger *****. The same is true now.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

After 20 years of jumping in and out of a bread truck my knees and ankles are pretty trashed. I got the auto so I can enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: is there a big difference between manual and automatic in speed ?