Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Racers - Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Road Racers - Tips Needed

not to sound like im completely incompetant, but what is the difference between a road race and an autoX?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Project Renegade

not to sound like im completely incompetant, but what is the difference between a road race and an autoX?
Road Race - on a high speed, purpose built track, like Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Sebring, etc. High Speeds, lots of gear changes, lots of braking. Multiple cars on track. Multiple laps. Smooth, soft inputs. Expensive - 150-300 per event. What we are specifically talking about is HPDE events (high performance driving experience) - its not actually racing wheel to wheel. There are no winners or loosers. Passing is done by point by only and usually only on straights.

Auto Cross - cones set up in a large parking lot or air strip. Lower speeds 60-70 max, sharper turns, one car at a time. On the edge at all times, sometimes violent. One lap against the clock at a time. Smooth but less so than on a track. Cheap ~25-35 per event.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Well the weather's supposed to 100 out there that day with a slight chance of thunderstorms... should be a fun day!

I hope to get my nittos tomorrow and throw those on... then it's just a matter of prepping everything from there.

thanks for the tips - and if anyone has anything else chime in! the more info the better!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:46 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Tomorrow's the big day!!!

Wish me luck... I'll let you know how the 'stang holds up .
Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I wish all youngsters could do this...
It would put their ego where it belongs, for those who have misplaced it.

The sixer might play to your advantage in the corners, since it's lighter.
So it's a good car to learn with IMO.

I'll be doing this next week across the pond.
Don't know in what car yet. I might do a few laps in a Ford GT at Spa.
Depens on the track availability and time.

Good luck for today.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Well, all I can say is I think I represented the domestic crew as best as I could since I was really the only domestic there!

My best run of the day was a 1:40. I think I was the second or third quickest beginner, but in comparison to the times of the intermediate/advanced groups I'm still slow.

Some examples of the cars I was classed with: 2007 Lotus Exige, Scion TC, Acura TL, Honda S2000, and an Evo. I was pretty much able to hold my ground, but I really think tires would have helped me.

One problem I did have... Around the end of my second session my tranny seemed to be running hot. Towards the end of the sessions (the last few laps) every time I'd try to downshift from 3rd to 2nd it was almost like 2nd was locked out - it wouldn't engage! I actually slid out a couple times (but drifted my way out ) because of this problem. Has anyone had this problem? Could this be related to the reported problems of missing shifts under hard acceleration i see dragstrip goers speak of? I almost feel like this started to hold me back from getting any quicker.

Nevertheless I had a great time and would recommend this experience to ANYONE interested in finding out how a car is SUPPOSED to work, and what your current limits (both car and self) are when it comes to driving.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Glad to hear you had such a good time. Sounds like you have learned first hand what the most important mod is....THE DRIVER. I've been at events with a ton of US cars (Mustangs and Vettes mostly) and others with only a couple, all depends on the event.