Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Racers - Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default Road Racers - Tips Needed

Well this upcoming Saturday I'm planning on heading out to Willow Springs and running the CCW Streets of Willow track with some buddies. Since the search function still draws up nothing, I was wondering if some of you fellow grip guys can help me out with tips and some specs.

First off I'm trying to get a hold of Nitto 555s on my 18x9 wheels to have a good tire setup. Anyone ever runs these tires on the track and had a bad experience? It seems the autox guys like these tires, but then again autox is a little bit different from road racing haha. I'll be needing an alignment, and I was wondering what sort of specs you guys run as well for this kind of course running. Also, I was thinking about possibly getting some Hawk Pads, but if I can run the stock pads without problems then I think I'll just leave them... but I'm unsure of what either setup is truly capable of.

Any first time tips are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Road Racers - Tips Needed

First off, LUCKY!
Im dying to go to a REAL track.
Unfortunately, im stuck with auto x out here in the middle of nowhere.

I cant really offer you any help, except to congratulate you for being one of the few who like curves. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Well since i'm not THAT fast in the straights I figure I could make up for it in the twisties
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danbevsv6rumbler

Well this upcoming Saturday I'm planning on heading out to Willow Springs and running the CCW Streets of Willow track with some buddies. Since the search function still draws up nothing, I was wondering if some of you fellow grip guys can help me out with tips and some specs.

First off I'm trying to get a hold of Nitto 555s on my 18x9 wheels to have a good tire setup. Anyone ever runs these tires on the track and had a bad experience? It seems the autox guys like these tires, but then again autox is a little bit different from road racing haha. I'll be needing an alignment, and I was wondering what sort of specs you guys run as well for this kind of course running. Also, I was thinking about possibly getting some Hawk Pads, but if I can run the stock pads without problems then I think I'll just leave them... but I'm unsure of what either setup is truly capable of.

Any first time tips are greatly appreciated!
The Nitto 555s are a fine summer performance tire and a good compromise, more street oriented but they should be fine ona track. If you want a more track oriented tire (still streetable) take a look at the Falken RT-615, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, Yoko Advan Neova, Toyo Proxes R1R, etc. I dont know about what pressure to recommend on the 555s but the high 30s hot should be a good starting point.

My alignment is -2 camber, 0 toe. To get this much negative camber you need adjustable camber plates, boltsor slot the struts.

The prevailing wisdom on Brakes is use a high temp fluid such as ATE SuperBlue and a set of more agressive pads, Hawk HPS at a minimum. Slowing down a 3600 lbs car lap after lap is not something that should be left to chance on the stock setup - fluid can boil and stock pads can quickly evaporate. However, Ive known guys who have used the stock setup and been ok, you just need to be a little careful and if the brakes start to get soft, slow down for a lap, be a little less agressive with your braking.

Have fun - remember to do your point bys, with the 4.0 you will be eaten alive on the straights. Dont worry about it and concentrate on learning, listening to the instructor, finding the line, etc.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

A twist track....oh my X would own that **** up.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

That's a lot of great info Argonaut, I appreciate your help!

I'll probably be running with beginners, so I hope it won't be too crazy!

I have some Eibach camber bolts - they should be able to get me -2 correct? I see you have D-specs as well, what setting do you bump those up to? Or does it depend on the course itself? I figured a good starting point would be 3 turns out in the front, 2 turns out in the back.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

I think you should turn off theTraction Control if you have it.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Haha sometimes I wish I had traction control (like in the rain), but I'm overall satisfied that I don't. Thanks for the tip though
Old 07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have some Eibach camber bolts - they should be able to get me -2 correct? I see you have D-specs as well, what setting do you bump those up to? Or does it depend on the course itself? I figured a good starting point would be 3 turns out in the front, 2 turns out in the back.
Its not too crazy but it is addicting - the first session is scary white knuckle, by the afternoon you will feel like a pro and be amazed, taking corners faster than you ever thought possible. If you have the opportunity - either let your instructor drive your car or ride along with him/her. Its an experience to say the least - wow! I dont know what just bolts will give you, set itto as much negative camber as you can. I set the D-Specs to 2 from hard in front, 4 in back. The increase in camber plus the sticky tires really hooks up the front end and thus I can stiffen it up without worrying about pushing. I set the back a little softer so I have less throttle oversteer. The combination makes it pretty neutral handling. Of course I can easily cause over or understeer with my throttle and wheel inputs.

And like StoneBlue says - turn Traction Control off unless its raining (I forgot that one in my original post), good advice. EDIT - oops, ignore. I forget that not all cars have it.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:35 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Its not too crazy but it is addicting - the first session is scary white knuckle, by the afternoon you will feel like a pro and be amazed, taking corners faster than you ever thought possible. If you have the opportunity - either let your instructor drive your car or ride along with him/her. Its an experience to say the least - wow! I dont know what just bolts will give you, set itto as much negative camber as you can. I set the D-Specs to 2 from hard in front, 4 in back. The increase in camber plus the sticky tires really hooks up the front end and thus I can stiffen it up without worrying about pushing. I set the back a little softer so I have less throttle oversteer. The combination makes it pretty neutral handling. Of course I can easily cause over or understeer with my throttle and wheel inputs.

And like StoneBlue says - turn Traction Control off unless its raining (I forgot that one in my original post), good advice. EDIT - oops, ignore. I forget that not all cars have it.
I also like the twisties since i made the mistake of leaving 2 cylinders at the dealership. *sigh* and you probably have the same issue with lack of ability to throttle oversteer like argonaut, as do i, so definatly make sure the camber in the rear is as negative as possible so it will slide a bit easier but not enough to slow you down. Make sure you have a very tight front end since these cars are so prone to understeer. overall Argonaut covered about everything :-p so good job argonaut and good luck to you dan. i wish we had a real track here =( i too am stuck with autox haha.

Quick Reply: Road Racers - Tips Needed