Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boomtube Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:31 PM
hawkx8
1st Gear Member

Default Boomtube Question

So i have been hearing rumors that do not sound true to me. I have been doing my research on boomtubes before buying and everyone seems to love them. Im not sure how long they have had them when they said that but lets get to the point.

It has been brought to my attention that after around 6mo-1yr the boomtubes start to lose their roar and start to make more of a muffled poof because the inside falls apart or stops working. Is this true? Can anyone verify this if you have had your boomtubes for a longer period of time? Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Bomtube Question

What's a bomtube?

I've had mine for 3 months and they don't sound quite as loud as they used to. But then it could just be me getting used to them. And that could easily be what's happening with these other people.

The only way to be sure is to setup an SPL meter and then recheck it 6 months to a year later. If you want to be scientific about it..
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
hawkx8
1st Gear Member

Ha sorry about that typo. I hope thats what that means. But a poof is a lot different then a roar ya know?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

After 3 months mine sound about the same as they did when first installed. Just a little quieter, or seemingly so.

Let's just say that after getting these I know now that I want LT headers and a catted midpipe. Why? Not just for the horsepower boost but also because I want my exhaust to be louder than it is now. I want to stay catted however for a couple reasons, one of which is so that it isn't ridiculous loud. Just louder.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
hawkx8
1st Gear Member

Ha i see! Have you noticed any deterioration of the boomtubes at all?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Define deterioration?

They sound and look the same just quieter. There is some carbon buildup inside but that's it.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
hawkx8
1st Gear Member

Just anything looking like its getting old, something that may not function properly? And is it just you or do others think its quieter also
Old 07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I've noticed nothing other than what I've mentioned already. As far as have others noticed or not I can't say. Haven't asked.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
hawkx8
1st Gear Member

Ok, thanks a lot for your input. It seems most are very happy. I have not read anything on here putting boomtubes down so im going to hope its just your ears getting used to the music!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:01 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

after having mine on for at least 9-10 months, they are only slightly quieter at idle, and it could be just getting used to the sound. the inside of the boomtubes are louvered metal baffles welded in, there is no way that they can deteriorate. i think any muffler gets a liitle more quiet or 'broken in' after you've been driving it around for a few months. i know you will love the sound of the boomtubes, loud but clean sounding. next to the SC, the boomtubes are my favorite mod.

Quick Reply: Boomtube Question