Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: first oil change???

[align=left]This is from the Amsoil website. Being trained in oil analysis about 12 years ago, I consider it valid. I provide it for your reading pleasure only:[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]"AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are designed and engineered for extended drain interval service. The color the AMSOIL on your dipstick (or ANY oil for that matter) has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the oil is suitable for continued use or if it should be drained and replaced. Use the recommended change intervals for both the oil and engine oil filters as specified by AMSOIL.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]It is a common misconception that an oil's color is an indication of how dirty it is. This is absolutely NOT TRUE. The color of an oil does not have any bearing on its lubrication ability. Most oil and especially diesel engine oil will turn black in the first few hours of operation due to contaminates generated by the combustion process and soot particles. The ONLY way to accurately determine an oil's lubricating value or contamination level is through (spectrographic) oil analysis..."[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][align=left]The "contaminants" and "soot" mentioned above are not detrimental to the engine nor do they impact the oil's lubricating and protective abilities. Feel free to read the many on-line articles that substantiate this.[/align]
[/align]
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

thanks for posting that, i wont worry as much about the color now, but i'll still change it pretty frequently tho.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

You want to get the factory oil out at 500 miles, then again at 2000 miles. Then, go with the oil change interval that you like. I go 3000 miles with FOMOCO blend.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM
BudgetPlan1
1st Gear Member

Wow, w/ the frequency some people change it, no wonder we need so much foreign oil.

This isn't the 70's and crappy dino oil. If you wanna be sure, send a sample to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for analysis every now and again. I think you'll find that synthetics can go quite a bit o' miles before they actually start breaking down. The weak link is the filter, not the oil.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html
Price Breakdown

Oil collecting kits are free

$22.50 per regular analysis

Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 AM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

This always stirs up a hornet's nest. I try to change mine every 3k miles. I've been into all my engines, and they always look pristine. You can throw as many "studies" as you want at me, but I know what works for me and I'm willing to pay the money for it. If somebody has evidence that changing oil that often hurts your engine, let's see it.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No one says changing oil too frequently hurts your engine (well, I have seen someone state something to that effect but I don't do the same drugs)...

It's just that I, too, have experience with MY engines which have gone 10,000 miles between oil changes which are also pristine and have lasted beyond 200,000 miles and still ran excellent (plus those on dino oil that had 3,000 mile oil changes and lasted and performed equally well).

It's all a matter of preference. I have no stake in how you spend your time and money...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BudgetPlan1

Wow, w/ the frequency some people change it, no wonder we need so much foreign oil.

This isn't the 70's and crappy dino oil. If you wanna be sure, send a sample to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for analysis every now and again. I think you'll find that synthetics can go quite a bit o' miles before they actually start breaking down. The weak link is the filter, not the oil.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html
Price Breakdown

Oil collecting kits are free

$22.50 per regular analysis

Go back to college and re-take ECO 101, we get very little oil from foreigners.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

Nuke,

My comments certainly weren't aimed at you. There just seem to be oil change ***** on every forum who go on the attack when this subject comes up. All is well...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fullboogie

Nuke,

My comments certainly weren't aimed at you. There just seem to be oil change ***** on every forum who go on the attack when this subject comes up. All is well...
... And I didn't take them negatively. I simply added some clarification. No problem, my friend. We're all here to express our concerns, opinions and experiences. Ditto on the all is well...