Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: Grrr Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

ORIGINAL: SatinSilverStang

get a red-top, optima FTW
def one of the best
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Default UPDATE Grrrr. RE: Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

Update: 1. It's not a battery/terminal connection issue...they'were spotless and tight.
2. New battery died after approx 20 minsof driving.
3. Luckily still under warranty..free tow to the dealer 3 miles away.

Hopefully they'll have it fixed by tomorrow.I'm thinking alternator. Told them not to flash
a damn thing.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
cdawg
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Lead-acid batteries chronically fail due to structural collapse without warning. The internal support structures tend to degrade over time with no impact on battery voltage or capacity until it fails catastrophically. Some batteries are constructed better than others. A car that has a tighter suspension MAY be harder on a battery in this respect than a luxury sedan.

If I was experiencing multiple failures of this type, I might consider a marine starting battery. They're constructed withmore robustinternalsupportsincludingsuperior plate design and spacers.
I worked in one of the largest battery factories in North America for 13 years. First off, marine starting batteries are not constructed with more robust "internal supports." Batteries don't have internal supports. They are constructed of cells, that are intercell welded together. How sturdy the groups of plates are in the cells of the container is managed by two things, fit and bond. If the plates fit snugly in the cells, it will help with vibration. Some batteries have a bottom bond and top bond to help with the plates shifting from vibration.

Second, I have never heard the word "spacers" regarding battery construction. I would assume you mean the separator that keeps the plates from touching. Most automotive batteries use an envelope type separator, which envelopes the whole plate, sides and all. It's like slipping a lead plate in an envelope. Most marine batteries use a leaf separator, which is a flat piece of material that does not protect the sides of the plates if the plates would slip from vibration in the cell.

Marine batteries are not as vibration-resistant as automotive batteries. If a battery fails overnight, it generally is a failure of the intercell weld. Failure over time (slow discharge) is generally a sign of plate degredation, or separator compromise. If I thought my battery was failing because of vibration due to a stiff suspension, I would purchase a light truck battery, or one made for four wheel drive vehicles. These batteries usually have a top or bottom bond of epoxy to keep the plates from shifting.

And if it were me, I would buy an Interstate. Consistently at the top of the battery ratings. Costs a little more though. But that's just one guy's opinion.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: UPDATE Grrrr. RE: Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Update: 1. It's not a battery/terminal connection issue...they'were spotless and tight.
2. New battery died after approx 20 minsof driving.
3. Luckily still under warranty..free tow to the dealer 3 miles away.

Hopefully they'll have it fixed by tomorrow.I'm thinking alternator. Told them not to flash
a damn thing.
Bad Alternator or a bad connection between the battery and the alternator.