Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple or KB, KB or Whipple????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple or KB, KB or Whipple????

Plstang congrats on your KB setup!

Weren t you the one that was possibly going twin TT with the E-R122 S/C?

Ialso wouldbe interested in hearing what you find out on the TVS as this thing is brand new if you could pm me also, MMFF will be releasing some numbers at the end of Aug on a JDM setup running a stock long block. I have heard some numbers on what this thing is suppose to put out on a 4.6 3v but I like more solid info.

The Whipple 2.3 from my research seems to hang right around (max out) 530/540 @ around 16-19psirwhp from a stock Whipple kit (parts) oneguy was stuck at around 530rwhp butdid go 577rwhp after around $1800 of custom work ontheWhippleS/C, this wason a built bottom end (stock heads & cams) .

So if you know someone who tuned one of the new TVS on a 4.6 3V (on built SB would beeven betteror if it was a stock SB/LB) other than a Roush dealer/tuner if you could pm me also. Also like to know if auto/manual,ACTS, and any other info if possible you could get.

TIA!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

i wanna know too!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:56 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

PLstang,

Although this is a highly opinionated statement, I for one am glad you are going with the KB. My interests in superchargers tends to be within the KB/Whipple territory. I've never really taken a liking to Jack Roush or his superchargers.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

PLstang congrats and hope your quest for 9's are realized (I thought they would have been already with the ported Eaton[&:]). Why the KB 2.8 vs the Whipple 3.4L? I know you said you had experience with the KB in the past and liked it and I believe the 3.4L is only available thru Adam @ ST Motorsports in CA but I suspect where and how make no difference to you as long as it is done right and the installer tuner knows the S/C. I know Sawyer is running about 20 psi on the 3.4L at WOT now and with some spray hell you should make easy 9's? (right).

Oh and how did you fair at Milan a few weeks ago? I was not able to make it as I had a family member that recently passed that I needed to take care of and be there for[&o]

She is in a better place and passed peacefully at 94 yrs old so no sympathy needed

Take care and have a good one - J
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Thought I'd take a couple before pictures!

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

Plstang congrats on your KB setup!

Weren t you the one that was possibly going twin TT with the E-R122 S/C?

Ialso wouldbe interested in hearing what you find out on the TVS as this thing is brand new if you could pm me also, MMFF will be releasing some numbers at the end of Aug on a JDM setup running a stock long block. I have heard some numbers on what this thing is suppose to put out on a 4.6 3v but I like more solid info.

The Whipple 2.3 from my research seems to hang right around (max out) 530/540 @ around 16-19psirwhp from a stock Whipple kit (parts) oneguy was stuck at around 530rwhp butdid go 577rwhp after around $1800 of custom work ontheWhippleS/C, this wason a built bottom end (stock heads & cams) .

So if you know someone who tuned one of the new TVS on a 4.6 3V (on built SB would beeven betteror if it was a stock SB/LB) other than a Roush dealer/tuner if you could pm me also. Also like to know if auto/manual,ACTS, and any other info if possible you could get.

TIA!

Yep, I have looked at compound boost. Still not off the table. However, me and my builder have been debating how far to take this car. He wants me to leave it as is (I got him to agree to the KB during the Bassani Party at the NMRA vs NMCA Superbowl of racing and several glasses of Bassani's Punch LOL). He thinks it's fast enough and should keep it a street car (this from the guy going 7.5 seconds).

We've come to an understanding. I'm going to keep working on this car (nothing to drastic) until the end of the year. He has till then to find me a S197 with a blown motor or a 6er with electrical damage from flooding. If he finds the car we'll strip it down put in a 5.4 built motor and a 91mm precision Turbo and make a race car of it. If he doesn't then my car will go on a diet at the end of the year, get a roll cage and I'll buy a GT500.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SaddleUp

PLstang,

Although this is a highly opinionated statement, I for one am glad you are going with the KB. My interests in superchargers tends to be within the KB/Whipple territory. I've never really taken a liking to Jack Roush or his superchargers.
Well I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of great people in the racing community. I have had several conversations with John Urist, Darryl Bassani, Phil Hines, Bon Burton, and Several Vendors Precision Turbo,etc. They are great people! Bend over backwards to help you! Heck, when we beat Urist's team mate in Joliet we did it with an oil pump John had loaned us! Even worse it was his team mates spare!

I just can't say the same for the Roush, just my personal opinion and that really doesn't mean much, but there you have it.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

PLstang congrats and hope your quest for 9's are realized (I thought they would have been already with the ported Eaton[&:]). Why the KB 2.8 vs the Whipple 3.4L? I know you said you had experience with the KB in the past and liked it and I believe the 3.4L is only available thru Adam @ ST Motorsports in CA but I suspect where and how make no difference to you as long as it is done right and the installer tuner knows the S/C. I know Sawyer is running about 20 psi on the 3.4L at WOT now and with some spray hell you should make easy 9's? (right).

Oh and how did you fair at Milan a few weeks ago? I was not able to make it as I had a family member that recently passed that I needed to take care of and be there for[&o]

She is in a better place and passed peacefully at 94 yrs old so no sympathy needed

Take care and have a good one - J
Well I probably could make 9's with the ported Eaton. We ran into some spark blow out after the install. We also had an issue with the Nitrous solenoid's locking up under high pressure. We have resolved this problem and may take the car to the track this weekend and see if we have the makings of a 9 second pass. The issue is that the car still isn't caged, won't be till the end of the year. Hence we run the 1/8th mile for testing and such. When we are ready to crack a number we'll take it to the 1/4 mile track. We only get one shot before they throw us off the track so we need to make sure everything is right before we take it out!

I went with the KB because of Richards experience with it. We also discussed bothe the Whipple with Dustin and the KB with Joe and let's just say Joe wanted the KB on the car worse then Dustin wanted the Whipple. I'm not going to make any predictions on what the car will make. We'll just have to see. However, I ran the 10.3 with a stock Eaton a 75 shot and an overdrive balancer. I haven't made a 1/4 mile pass in the new set up yet so who knows.

We went out first round in Milan, luckily so did the other guys in front of us. Hence we stayed about the same in the points standings!

I completely understand! Family always comes before anything else. All things material can be replaced!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Point taken PLstang and thanks for the info and help in the past and I like both the S/C's but it was more fimilar for my installer/ tuner to go with the Whipple and he just loves that S/C. I have to agree but I am sure either one could realize 9's after you get the cage! Take care J
Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Well my blower didn't ship after all!![:@] Turns out we had to fill out some paperwork first! I guess it's because of their CARB certification???

Anyways Richard had to explain why we were ordering a blower for a GT500 but gave them a GT computer code. I think he had to write them a book!!

Looke like it's going out today!!

Quick Reply: Whipple or KB, KB or Whipple????