Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORD V6 HANDLING PKG

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:18 PM
4WAYLON

Default FORD V6 HANDLING PKG

Has anyone had the Ford V6 handling pkg installed? It includes the strut tower brace,
springs, dampers, roll bar kit. Ford says it may cause a "slightly harsher" ride. I want
to tighten the ride up but not excessive. 2008 v6 pony pkg with 18" wheels (factory).
I would like to buy from ford and have dealer install because of the warranty. Any help
greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FORD V6 HANDLING PKG

my friend has that one and the power package for his V6...it's much better to drive than mine as a result.....I woulda bought it after that...but I'm just waiting for 2010 Mustang and then switching mine out....
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4WAYLON

Has anyone had the Ford V6 handling pkg installed? It includes the strut tower brace,
springs, dampers, roll bar kit. Ford says it may cause a "slightly harsher" ride. I want
to tighten the ride up but not excessive. 2008 v6 pony pkg with 18" wheels (factory).
I would like to buy from ford and have dealer install because of the warranty. Any help
greatly appreciated, thanks.
It is against the federal law in america for a manufcaturer to void your warranty due to a modification unless you make it more expensive to repair their product by a large sum (such as reflashing the CPU and when they do an airbag recall they have to buy a $400 SCT tuner to keep your car tuned after they update the computer and wipe it's memory). Obviously the parts you install aren't Ford's problem.

The only thing that Ford Racing parts have a "warranty" for that aftermarket ones do not, is if they cause "abuse" to your car, ie come loose and damage your transmission for example, or if they themselves break. This makes sense on a supercharger which can cause too much boost a blow up an engine, which is why all of the supercharger manufacturers that I know about offer a warranty from them, but it makes 0 sense on suspention or air intake mods because they never break.

For example Ford only started offering warranties on their Ford Racing parts recently. Previously they were not warrantied. When this warranty was applied the prices of their Ford Racing products as a whole went up to cover the cost of the warranties on the indevidual parts. For the handeling and cold air intake parts, the price went up $0.00 meaning that Ford's own accounting department expected zero use of the warranty they were offering. By contrast the price of the Ford Supercharger with a warranty went up $1000.00.

The reason that aftermarket suspentions do not offer warranties is because they don't need them, and they will NEVER be used, espetially in America where they can't void your warranty on the engine due to a aftermarket turn signal, which happens in other countries.

Anyway, if you are so concerned about the warranty, and you want some more options to consider, you could go with Saleen. It's ther policy to offer a warranty on their parts for as long as you have your own warranty, and if a dealer refuses you scervice due to one of their parts, they will pay for any repairs.

Personally I would just put a suspention package together myself. You'll get MUCH better results, and can even get adjustable suspention which you can change yourself unlike Ford's.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:09 PM
vancebreck
1st Gear Member

You need to PM themac5150. He bought the handling package and said he has some regrets about it. He had a complete write-up that got lost during one of the forum outages. From what I recall, he said that Ford's description of a "slightly rougher ride" was an understatement. It was his experience that prompted me to ditch the FRPP Handling package and just put together my own. I've got Eibach Pro-kits springs and Tokico-D shocks struts(not on yet). I plan to get the Hellwig sway bars in the next couple of months. I decided on these elements cause they are all popular items as far as the forums goes and I've heard very few negatives about them.

Like Legion5 says...Just put one together on your own.