Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ones with the Steeda CAI, chime in please

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 AM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Ones with the Steeda CAI, chime in please

After installing the cai, I noticed the heat shield is hitting the hood, has anyone come across this?? I took the heat shield off and cut 3/8" off the back, at the highest point. Reinstalled it and it still hits...what the??? Am I missing something here?? Both grommets are in, everything on the bottom is flush with the car. I wouldnt make an issue out of it, but after I washed the car, I opened the hood and there was a puddle of water laying on the bottom of the heat shield, so there isnt a good seal from the hood. I am going to call Steeda in the morning and ask them about it. Anyone have any input on this???
Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Ones with the Steeda CAI, chime in please

heat shields are suppose to hit the hood when closed??
Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

heat shields are suppose to hit the hood when closed??
+1 Yes I have the FRPP CAI (Same as Steeda minus the decal!), and the Steeda plastic inlet elbow. Yes, its supposed to make a seal against the hood, but it sounds like you're touching the hood in one area, like a high spot? Did you loosen everything up and adjust things so it sits right? Mine has no problems, makes a nice, even seal as evident when you lift the hood and look at the crease in the hood liner, and I'm even missing a mounting post grommet. ( Get annoying chirping noises when I go over any bumps, though). What sounds strange is the water. You shouldn't be getting water in there, CAI or not.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My heat shield does hit the insulating blanket on the hood but not enough to prevent closing the hood. And don't expect to not get any water in the engine compartment when you hit the hood gaps with a hose. The engine bay is NOT sealed along both edges. I pop the hood while finishing up drying to wipe things down in the engine bay and often have some water laying in the heat shield and some drops on the end of the air filter trim. It's no big deal, IMO.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I get a little water on the bottom of the heat sheild too after washing my car, but it doesn't have anything to do with the heat sheild hitting the hood. The water comes from thegap between the hood and fender. I normally dry off under my hood anyway after a wash.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

If you have a cervini's hood it's a mess... I had to cut down the heat sheild remove the rubber stoppers. Then when I installed the carbon fiber inlet tube by steeda I had to hack the crap out of the bottom corner of the heat shield so rubber boots on the inlet tube to the MAF wouldn't kink... The cervini's hood has a channel that smashed the cone down.. Big PITA. No puddles nothing though....
Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i have the steeda CAI but i have never had issues with getting puddles of water under my hood. the heat shield should hit your hood liner to reject as much hot air as possible but you should not have issues with closing the hood. if the hood shuts well, then you should be fine
Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM
joestang08123
1st Gear Member

hey steve, i see you got the steeda. how dou you like it so far? any difference from the jlt? by the way, you still got that jlt laying around, im interested.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Mine fits like a glove. No problems.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 PM
4mySon
1st Gear Member

No issues here, fits like a glove.

Quick Reply: Ones with the Steeda CAI, chime in please