Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rims/tires...what about TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

Default New rims/tires...what about TPMS?

So i have purchased a set of Foose DF-5 20s 8.5" all around with 255/35 tires. My question has to do with TPMS. Do i have to do anything special when mounting my rims? I noticed my new rims have a single hole on each one for what i guess is the TPMS. Anyways do I have to get the tire pressure monitor sensors or no? Or can i just skip out on them? I was hoping to get my rims mounted tomorrow but I obviously can't if i need the sensors.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New rims/tires...what about TPMS?

the tpms sensor can be picked up pretty cheep from e-bay and you have to get either some bands made for your rims or use some of the universal kits available.

You can also reuse the tpms sensors off your old set.

FYI I bought a set of sensors from e-bay for 35shiped but the bands will run me 20bux a tire. The mustang has band style sensors FYI. I recommend keeping the tpms function as it can be beneficial to you safety wise as well as in the pocket, allowing for longer life from the tires by notifying you if they are improperly inflated.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaguarking11

the tpms sensor can be picked up pretty cheep from e-bay and you have to get either some bands made for your rims or use some of the universal kits available.

You can also reuse the tpms sensors off your old set.

FYI I bought a set of sensors from e-bay for 35shiped but the bands will run me 20bux a tire. The mustang has band style sensors FYI. I recommend keeping the tpms function as it can be beneficial to you safety wise as well as in the pocket, allowing for longer life from the tires by notifying you if they are improperly inflated.

damn...lame. Does anyone know of any stores that sell TPMS bands? So i dont have to order them? Im dying to get these wheels on.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:08 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

Also another probably stupid question, why is there a hole in the actual rim?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

For the valve stems maybe?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 AM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaguarking11

For the valve stems maybe?
wow i can't believe i didnt think of that. The wierd placement threw me off since the hole is placed under where the tire would sit, inside the rim. i feel retarded.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you don't install the sensors on your new wheels you'll get the dash light. A lot of people here just work around it by resetting it each time they start the car. I bought bands from AmericanMuscle for about $18/wheel and had the shop that mounted and balanced my new tires and wheels install the bands and swap the sensors. They didn't charge me a dime for the additional effort. Some tire shops have the bands so call around.

There's another "fix" and that is to remove your sensors and place them in either your spare or inside a sealed tube that you can then pressurize and toss into the trunk.

IMO, the best thing to do is to swap them into your new tires and be done with it.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Wildpig51
2nd Gear Member

+1 on above
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I've never seen these tpms sensors so I could be wrong, but is there now way to possibly glue the sensor to the wheel? Or attach it to a big ole hose clamp from Lowes/Home Depot that would fit around the wheel?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Buy the bands from Amer. Muscule, or a Ford dealer. $18 at Amer Muscule, $20 to $35 at dealer. Both prices are each.You really don't what to use something else, as it may damage the sensor, then you will have the light on your dash. Also if you get NEW sensors, I think you will need a dealership to reprogram your car to read the new sensors. If you can, use the old sensors.

Quick Reply: New rims/tires...what about TPMS?