Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst shifter grinding

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Default Hurst shifter grinding

Just wondering if anyone on here has a hurst shifter and had shifting problems after install?Ive never missed a shift,or ground the gears in this car until I put the hurst in.Its really annoying because you cant bang the gears.I dont think im going to need MM or a torque limiter,the car was fine until I put this in.I was thinking about swapping the stock bushings out into the hurst.Any input would be great.Thanks in advance!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 PM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst shifter grinding

same problem

Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Is it just stiff or is it actually grinding? If it's just stiff/notchy that's the way the shifter is. Along with the shorter throw comes increased effort
Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i can shift mine with 2 fingers no problems
Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

You didn't over tighten the shift linkage bolt did you? They use a lock nut on those and a little lock-tite. Too tight and one of two things can happen. A. There is not enough play to move easily. or B. the worst senario is breaking the bolt. Easy to do from what I have read. You might want to see if its just a matter of too tight or not enough lube on the bushings. I see that MGW now includes new bushings with their shifter. I wonder if they had issues with the stock bushings.

Edit: My bad...Actually, they use a shoulder bolt and a flange nut, but, it still can be over tightened or busted with too much effort.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

No,its grinding like a **** under hard accel(not all the time though)I cant even get it to go into gear sometimes(1-2,3-4)I followed all torque specs and used blue loctite.I was leaning towards the common problems with the remote shifter that these cars have,but it was fine with the stock,even on the bottle.IDK,maybe its time for mounts or TQ limiters.Dammit,this is starting to get expensive.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Forgot,its not hard to shift at all,feels a tiny bit notchy but feels just like the shelby gt's ive drivin at work.It doesnt bind or anything.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbotbirdguy79

No,its grinding like a **** under hard accel(not all the time though)I cant even get it to go into gear sometimes(1-2,3-4)I followed all torque specs and used blue loctite.I was leaning towards the common problems with the remote shifter that these cars have,but it was fine with the stock,even on the bottle.IDK,maybe its time for mounts or TQ limiters.Dammit,this is starting to get expensive.
I THINK YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING THERE! The torque limiters and perhaps mounts. Seems that the more precise the shifter, the more noticable the problem you mention about the remote mounted shifter. The stock shifter by comparison is as loose as a goose.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 AM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

the only problem i have with mine is when im pushing it hard into a corner and try to downshift from 3rd into 2nd it gets stuck and i cant get it into 2nd.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Crazy8

deleted

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter grinding