Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Default Dealer spark plug change

I just ordered some HT0 plugs from Brenspeed I spoke with Seth and he strongly suggested with my mileage (28K) I go to the dealership and have them change the plugs as there is a good chance at least 1 will break. I have never paid to have anything done on my car especially a spark plug change, but I took his advice on this one. Brought the car in this morning and the service guys, says hold on let me get the manager on this one. The manager comes out with a special written disclaimer stating that if they break the plugs there will be additional labor charges, which could include removal of the heads etc. He went on to tell me about how they follow11 page TSB and they still have problems.I told him I will sign it, but if 1 plug breaks stop and call me. I dropped the car off at 9am and I hadn't receied a call by 1pm, I was little impatient so I called the manager with ahint of sarcasim in his voice he tells me all8 hadsnapped off, then said kidding of course, and told me they had no problems with any of them.I had to share how dealerships are handling this spark plug issue.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealer spark plug change

Dang I am glad I dont have a GT I have played around with my plugs and switched them aroudn a few times only to find out that Motorcraft was the best for my car. I have heard that they are charging 150 if they break a plug and 300 if you just did it yourself, but they will sell you the removal tool that they are using to get broken ones out for 900 bucks
Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BWfVA

Dang I am glad I dont have a GT I have played around with my plugs and switched them aroudn a few times only to find out that Motorcraft was the best for my car. I have heard that they are charging 150 if they break a plug and 300 if you just did it yourself, but they will sell you the removal tool that they are using to get broken ones out for 900 bucks
They told me $90.00 to get one out if they break it. I see Mac has the tool available for $79.99, had I seen the tool yesterday I would have done it myself. Oh well cost me $150.00 for the change as long as I check or change them on a regular basis I shouldn't have to worry about it again.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

At 20,000 miles I took my Mustang in for it's first checkup and asked the dealer to change the plugs. I paid $125.00 for it but I don't think they ever did it. I took for granted they changed them but, 2 days after their service I popped the hood for something and looked at the plug covers and they had lots of dust on them like they hadn't been handled at all. I think they ripped me off. Charging me for something they didn't do.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

At how many miles are you supposed to do it? My 07 has 17k on it
Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

mine has 5k on it , i changed to champions @ 2500.........i was sweating ***** the whole time.........but they didn't break
Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

It seems against warrany law to make people sign a disclaimer that if the spark plugs break when being changed, that they will have to be paid for.

If I design a screw driver and then sell it, and then it breaks every time it's used and I point out "It's just designed to look like a screw driver" that would not work with warranty law.

The car is designed to have the spark plugs removed there is clearly a machine thread and a catch for tools to grab onto. If the spark plug breaks while removing it, then the vehicle is not warrantied for it's design purposes.

What if some one bought the car to change the spark plugs all day? The car would not follow it's obvious design at that point in that respect.

bull****.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Doesn't the manual say to change at 100K? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I'll have to check that in the maintenance manual. But, seems if the plugs have problems breaking, wouldn't it make sense to change them about every 25000 miles or so, so they won't become so brittle with extended heat and time?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangmaster

I'll have to check that in the maintenance manual. But, seems if the plugs have problems breaking, wouldn't it make sense to change them about every 25000 miles or so, so they won't become so brittle with extended heat and time?
That isn't the problem. The problem is that carbon builds up in the space between the ground electrode shield (the barrel of the plug) and the head. If you look at the cross section viewof the head, I think there's such a view in the TSB, you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply: Dealer spark plug change