Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What should I do first?

c&l cai with bamachips 93 race tune!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Noquarter23

I'm ready to start making mods to my 2006 GT which I bought a couple of months back. I know these questions get asked all the time, but, here's what I want to do:

Cold Air
Underdrive pulleys
Programmer
Throttle body
Possibly new exaust

My two questions are: 1. Out of the above, which should I do first, and 2. In your opinion what are the best ones (Brands) to buy. Any help, and if I missed anything on the list you think I should add would be appreciated. Thanks.
Cold Air (CAI) : definitely. C&L, Steeda, JLT (tune required, see programmer)
underdrive pullies (UDP's) nice to do, not too important. Steeda ( no tune required)
Programmer: definitely! (Goes w/ doing CAI) SCT, Diablosport tune by Brenspeed, Bama, etc (really noticeable if you have an auto trans!)

Throttle Body No! waste of money unless you're over 600 HP?

new exhaust: broad term here. Axleback mufflers (too much to list, based on your sound preference, no HP gain) headers, shorty or long tube. X pipe if you want, off road h pipe, etc. I feel if youre not forced induction, no real need to change unless for sound preference. For example, I just have CAI/tune. UDP's. I only changed the axlebacks, I feel the money spent changing exhaust out vs the gains are not worth it to me.

Do first: CAI/tune, then exhaust, udp's.

not on the list: rear end gears. Example 3.31 or 3.55 stock to 3.73 automatic, or 4.10 stick, as a general rule. (speedo has to be adjusted via the tune)
after all this, the next thing is forced induction (supercharge, turbo, etc)

Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimsGT

I'm ready to start making mods to my 2006 GT which I bought a couple of months back. I know these questions get asked all the time, but, here's what I want to do:

Cold Air
Underdrive pulleys
Programmer
Throttle body
Possibly new exaust

My two questions are: 1. Out of the above, which should I do first, and 2. In your opinion what are the best ones (Brands) to buy. Any help, and if I missed anything on the list you think I should add would be appreciated. Thanks.
Cold Air (CAI) : definitely. C&L, Steeda, JLT (tune required, see programmer)
underdrive pullies (UDP's) nice to do, not too important. Steeda ( no tune required)
Programmer: definitely! (Goes w/ doing CAI) SCT, Diablosport tune by Brenspeed, Bama, etc (really noticeable if you have an auto trans!)

Throttle Body No! waste of money unless you're over 600 HP?

new exhaust: broad term here. Axleback mufflers (too much to list, based on your sound preference, no HP gain) headers, shorty or long tube. X pipe if you want, off road h pipe, etc. I feel if youre not forced induction, no real need to change unless for sound preference. For example, I just have CAI/tune. UDP's. I only changed the axlebacks, I feel the money spent changing exhaust out vs the gains are not worth it to me.

Do first: CAI/tune, then exhaust, udp's.

not on the list: rear end gears. Example 3.31 or 3.55 stock to 3.73 automatic, or 4.10 stick, as a general rule. (speedo has to be adjusted via the tune)
after all this, if you ant to go farther, the next thing is forced induction (supercharge, turbo, etc) Big bucks!

Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Cold Air
Underdrive pulleys
Programmer
Throttle body
Possibly new exaust

1. Cold Air Intake & SCT Tune
2. FRPP gears (3.73 or 4.10)
3. Exhaust

If you have a manual, get a short throw shifter too.