Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Whipple for Twin Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:42 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Switching Whipple for Twin Turbos

Putting in a stroker kit would take machining of the block...correct? Would it be better to purchase a block that already has a stroker kit in, or just machine the factory block? I've also heard that 298ci is the way to go instead of 302 because of issues with the block and functionality?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

if you machine the block do 298 ci or you could buy an aluminum boss block and throw in a forged low end.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:39 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

When I buy pistons will it be best to get pistons for a roots or what? not sure which compression ratio for turbo or supercharger...please say which for each...
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Oh...Oh! another one thinking about crossing over to the dark side.

In my experience driveability or streetablity has got nothing to do with rwhp. It's the other stuff you do or do not do to the car that affect street manners. Stuff like rollbar/rollcage, 4r70w race tranny, drag suspension, spooled rearend etc.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:02 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

This decision is keeping my modding at a stand still...what gears to get, what type of pistons I need to be good for the type of power adder, exhaust mods, etc. ...
Old 08-10-2008, 03:04 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Can i have your whipple?[8D]
Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

If I do go with the TT setup I'll sell the whipple itself along with some other supporting things, but keep the fuel system from it...
Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

ORIGINAL: Legion5

That's ridiulous, just forge the whipple, and run like 25 psi of boost. You'll easily make 600 hp with the manual and the transmission will handle it (or blow lol). If you do a transmission swap (4 grand) you'll be able to push 800 hp even. 750hp has been confirmed on the whipple with forged internals so that's the way o go.

If you really want the trubo exhaust sound, just weld in a turbo into a Y pipe for your exhaust while you forge the whipple. Switching charging techniques is a guranteed waste of money. Also using vacume actuated BOV you could still create a chamber purely to mimic the sound of a BOV, so when you let off the ehxuast it would BOV and be 100 times louder than anyone else's BOV. The best part is, not only would it be cheeper, have the sound and BOV of the turbo, but it would have no trubo lag.
Can you show me one link of someone pushing 800hp or 750hp from a Whipple 2.3L on a S197 3V motor even stroked?
Not quite as I'm not familiar with the story entierly. There have been two 3.4L whipple installs and one found that the setup with a larger displacement supercharger actually lost power due to various reasons which as I recall were fixed. Anyway, the guy who lost power on the whipple 3.4L was making about 635 RWHP. 750 crank HP has been confirmed depending on how you scale up the number from RWHP on the 2.3l forged Whipple, and with a stronger belt and better throtle body 800 hp should be possible as I've already guessed.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryanralston07

I'm not really sure what I'd like to do. I know I could spend the money on other things like suspension and building the engine up. Would 14psi through the Whipple be enough for 550rwhp with a forged bottom end and keeping the 281ci? Thinking about stroking...but gains aren't that much different from what I've seen...I think the 281ci could do all I want and more...
Stroking gives the engine horsepower in an eponential fashion. So with this engine at this displacement if you stroke the engine to give it 8.6% more displacement/combustion volume, it's well shown you'll get about 15%+ more hp. going to 10% gives 21% more hp. So while the gains aren't that great, they are ridiculous and advantagious mathematically speaking.

550 RWHP is definitly atainable at 14 PSI, but he engine WILL take 23-25 if you forge the whole thing, plus you can stroke it for free at that point, so you can probably get 850 RWHP out of it and it would be extremely drivable too as stroke helps that a lot. Saleen running 18 PSI with a 5 liter stroker and forged internals gets 770hp that is very drivable. 22 PSI with a 5.15 stroke = 850 RWHP safe driavable hp, but you'd need a transmission for that.

The problem it seems is that as PSI increases, you get HP but not torque. So say you have 390 R hp/tq now. It would be like 550 R HP and 490 R TQ which will feel and drive like a lot less than the average 550hp car. Torque is what damages transmission and engine parts, so this actually works in your favor considerably meaning you could run 610 rhp and 550 rtq if you set your transmission up for being able to handle 550, while on a turbo that number would be 530 rhp and 550 rtq and you'd be struck at that point because you'd break something. Unfortunatly that situation would require about 16-17 psi on the whipple.
A Whipple 2.3L is not going to make 850rwhp and a Saleen is not going to make 770hp at 18psi.

Do you have any links of a Saleen making 770 hp at 18 psi?
The Saleen JDM 302 Sterling Eddition makes 720 hp - 800 hp depending who you ask at JDM. You can call them and ask them as everyone there is very knowlegable about the car. It's a 10 second car, so I have no reason to doubt the crank power rating, 770 is the number I've heard the most, but if you're saying that that doesn't make that then that's just silly.

Doubting an 850 hp whipple, would be ok. I don't think anyone has gone absolutaly all out with a completly built engine ie: big crank damper (you need that), big belt, big throtle body, intercooler, forged pistons, rods, crank, new bearings, and head gasket. Even then you might need heads and cams to reach 850. However doubting a Saleen in the 700s is ridiculous.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

That's ridiulous, just forge the whipple, and run like 25 psi of boost. You'll easily make 600 hp with the manual and the transmission will handle it (or blow lol). If you do a transmission swap (4 grand) you'll be able to push 800 hp even. 750hp has been confirmed on the whipple with forged internals so that's the way o go.

If you really want the trubo exhaust sound, just weld in a turbo into a Y pipe for your exhaust while you forge the whipple. Switching charging techniques is a guranteed waste of money. Also using vacume actuated BOV you could still create a chamber purely to mimic the sound of a BOV, so when you let off the ehxuast it would BOV and be 100 times louder than anyone else's BOV. The best part is, not only would it be cheeper, have the sound and BOV of the turbo, but it would have no trubo lag.
Can you show me one link of someone pushing 800hp or 750hp from a Whipple 2.3L on a S197 3V motor even stroked?
Not quite as I'm not familiar with the story entierly. There have been two 3.4L whipple installs and one found that the setup with a larger displacement supercharger actually lost power due to various reasons which as I recall were fixed. Anyway, the guy who lost power on the whipple 3.4L was making about 635 RWHP. 750 crank HP has been confirmed depending on how you scale up the number from RWHP on the 2.3l forged Whipple, and with a stronger belt and better throtle body 800 hp should be possible as I've already guessed.
Legion the OP has a WhippleHO 2.3L on his carnot a 3.4L now your talking about about a 3.4L.

Quick Reply: Switching Whipple for Twin Turbos