Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

Default Would you???

So.. I don't have the money yet for the rims and tires that I want but I'm itching to do something and I kind of want to lower my car because the gap is very big in the wheel wells because I'm sitting on 17's. I do have the CDC classic chin spoiler on so the front is about 5-6 inches from the ground I guess.. Do you think it would be okay to lower it now before I get the rim/tire setup? (By the way the kit I want to lower it with will be the Eibach Sportlines(1.6 drop in front, 2.0 drop in back))

Let me know what you guys think about this, thanks!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Would you???

bump??
Old 08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

i think you would be alright. dont go over any big speed bumps though.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:48 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

I think with Sportlines you're definitely gonna want to upgrade your shocks/struts at the same time. First of all it'll save you time in the long run because with the Sportlines you'll have to eventually replace those stock shocks/struts as they will more than likely not be enough for the drop. I'd recommend Tokico D-Spec shock/struts but that's only because they're the only setup I have experience with. I run Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Tokico D-specs and they made a world of difference in the handling aspect of my car.

When I did the drop I was running on 17" Bullitts and it looked just right to me. But you'd be going a little lower, which makes me think the rims will appear to be too small. Maybe someone who's done the same setup will chime in soon.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

yeah i'll be getting 20's down the road but it should raise it and fill in the wheel well better.. what are the prices on some of the shocks/struts??
Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

i would look into lowering the rear only (ive been considering that). roush has rear lowering springs that lower your car 1 inch, which, in my opinion, gives our cars a more 'leveled-out' look. that way you wouldnt have to worry about your front being low enough to scrape the ground (the front might be angled up a little); the only thing im not sure about is if you would still have to worry about alignment issues with lowering the rear only, like you would with lowering the entire car.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

well.. i want to do it all at once because im putting 20" fr500's on and it will raise it alot compared to my 17" bullits so.. i dont wanna have to buy another kit when i get my rims
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

Allstar, IMO you should look at the Pro-kits; I think you'll be too low (to have to constantly worry about it) with the sports. By the by, where did you get your chin spoiler - did you order it already painted?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

no i got it from CDC. i had it painted by my local guy
Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xeno

i would look into lowering the rear only (ive been considering that). roush has rear lowering springs that lower your car 1 inch, which, in my opinion, gives our cars a more 'leveled-out' look. that way you wouldnt have to worry about your front being low enough to scrape the ground (the front might be angled up a little); the only thing im not sure about is if you would still have to worry about alignment issues with lowering the rear only, like you would with lowering the entire car.
I have the Roush rear only set up. Some are not satisfied with this amount of lowering, but I'm happy with the look and have no worries about scraping off my CDC classic chin spoiler.

Here are my AFTER and BEFORE pix.