Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Threaded

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:01 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Default Cross Threaded

Hey guys, me and my buddy were switching out my wheels earlier and one of my studs on the rear is fked up bad. So we bolted 4 lugs on there tight and the one thats fked up is naked. Should this be okay for a day or two till i get it fixed?

How much should the repairs cost? Thanks..
Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

Ive seen people driving without all 5. But I wouldnt go very fast...u never know what could happen. Something thats an easy cheap fix could become a disaster
Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You'll be fine. I've had lugs break off/strip on former (high perf even) cars and rode like that for months until I got them fixed. No problemo...

Stop by your local Ford parts dealer, pick up a replacement stud and ask them about swapping it yourself. It's easy to replace. I've done it on other cars but haven't had to on the new stang. Should be fairly easy still and cheap fix.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 08-13-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
You'll be fine. I've had lugs break off/strip on former (high perf even) cars and rode like that for months until I got them fixed. No problemo...

Stop by your local Ford parts dealer, pick up a replacement stud and ask them about swapping it yourself. It's easy to replace. I've done it on other cars but haven't had to on the new stang. Should be fairly easy still and cheap fix.
What do you mean "drove for months..."?
It's so easy to replace a wheel stud that it just does not make any sense not to within a day or two. A hammer and drift is all you need to remove the frigged up stud and you already have all the tools you need to install the new stud.

Jeez! LOL
Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Had one broke off and didn't notice it for a month or two.

JEEZ! LOL!! blah blah blah

Yeah, they're easy to fix.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Ah cool. I just got back from a gto meet with some friends... ran a couple ls2s... either they weren't stock or those suckers are FAST!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

maybe the stud wear is from all that burning out you do. lol.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
maybe the stud wear is from all that burning out you do. lol.

I have no idea what your talking about

I think its from changing the tires... last couple of times weve done it in a real hurry. Its just one out of the 20. It's all good. I'll get a new one asap.

p.s. anyone know where to get some lug nuts? Mine are getting worn out and i checked o reily's and auto zone.. they didnt have them, i HAD to have 3 new ones because they were cross threaded so i went to the stealership and payed $5 each
Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
Ah cool. I just got back from a gto meet with some friends... ran a couple ls2s... either they weren't stock or those suckers are FAST!
LS2 GTO's are some of the fastest cars I've ran on the street. LS1 f-bodies can say what they want, an LS2 gto gave me the best run I've had. I was heading over to my GF's house tonight and a Trailblazer SS started screwing with me. I've heard how those are so badass. I had to pass my turn and head onto I-35 with him just to see what those things can do. Total rape from 55mph on several times. He kept wanting to race time after time! I felt bad raping an SUV but the LS2 is a badass engine. Felt good to rape one, even if it was in an SUV haha.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
I have no idea what your talking about

I think its from changing the tires... last couple of times weve done it in a real hurry. Its just one out of the 20. It's all good. I'll get a new one asap.

p.s. anyone know where to get some lug nuts? Mine are getting worn out and i checked o reily's and auto zone.. they didnt have them, i HAD to have 3 new ones because they were cross threaded so i went to the stealership and payed $5 each

If you're getting that many cross threaded lugs, then you need to hand tighten your lug nuts a few more turns before you use any tools on them. Once the lug nut is at least three or four FULL rotations onto the stud, then it's safe to finish it with the impact wrench. You aren't loading your lug nuts directly into the socket and then installing them, are you? That will cause cross threaded lugs pretty often.

Quick Reply: Cross Threaded