Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Default Suspension Troubles

As of right now, I have lowering springs along with LCA's an UCA and a Panhard Bar, all with Urethane bushings. The parts on the car have been on for months now and a few weeks after installing the parts the suspension began developing a clunk in the front and rear whenever I go over small bumps. I have looked into the TSB's and brought my car to the dealership, where they denied me the warranty claim stating that I have modified the suspension to much which voided the warranty. I have read in the TSB that it replaces the upper strut bearing or something in the front. Well I am wondering what I could do to trouble shoot the sound or if anyone else has solved the problem by any chance. The rear seems to have the same sound and it sounds like something is loose in the front and back, even though none of the bolts are, I have checked several times. I am thinking replacing the struts all together will solve the issue. Any ideas?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

It can be hard to diagnoise these problems, especially over the web. One thing to keep in mind is that anytime you replace squishy stock bushings with hard urethane ones you are going to get more noise, period. Regards the front - it could be the upper strut mounts, if so the solution is to replace them either with the latest factory one or some aftermarket ones. What year is the car? Early strut mounts had lots of issues. It could also be: tires, loose sway bar end links, etc, etc. Regards the rear - could be a defective or cracked bushing, not enough lubrication, shocks going bad, exhaust pipe hitting the axle, hitting the bump stops, etc, etc. Like I said - hard to diagnoise because so many things can cause "clunk". Good luck.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:16 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

The car is an 08 with 8700 miles on it so far. I believe the problem is the upper strut mount in my car, but the dealer refused to fix it. Are there any cheap upgrades that I could do instead of the fully adjustable billet ones I see everywhere? I never checked the swaybar endlinks I will look at that. As for the rear... who knows? It just sounds like stuff is loose back there. I will put the car on jackstands tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks so much for the quick response!