Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cast/Camber Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I've been thinking the same thing actually lol so I'm glad you ask...i'd have to say that you could drive it...just don't drive it hard
Old 08-16-2008, 08:12 PM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

great!
it would be great to get some feedback though
i have noticed that people dont like to talk much about the alignment stuff
hopefully some people will chime in soon, because i am all ready to install the panhard bar.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Im about to do mine also I am installing sportlines though so I am going to grab the camber bolts just in case. that blows........
Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

This isn't rocket science. On the rear, as long as the left tire is not extending past the fender you can drive it as hard as you like. Regards the front, again, drive it as hard as you want, having negative camber will actually improve the handling. The only draw back is it will eventually wear the insides of your front tires. So...as long as you dont take months to get the alignment you will be fine. I drive my car with -2 degrees of camber full time because Im willing to trade the tire wear for the better handling.

Last edited by Argonaut; 08-17-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BaDStAnGT
great!
it would be great to get some feedback though
i have noticed that people dont like to talk much about the alignment stuff
hopefully some people will chime in soon, because i am all ready to install the panhard bar.
Did you read the whole thread before adding post #10? Post #3 in particular addresses some of your questions.

IMO, you want the axle at least reasonably well centered before getting the alignment, if only because the alignment setup puts heads/targets on all four wheels and I don't know if/how an off-center axle is handled. I will ask you if you drove the car a little after lowering it but before measuring/looking at it, and what sort of "before" measurements you may have taken (car weight on rear wheels, one or both sides jacked up and supported by the frame, etc.). What I'm hoping is that your before and after observations were made under the same conditions, though I suspect that they were not.

Please have a little patience. Or start a new thread in the 4.6L Handling section where things like alignment are more commonly discussed (and where this thread probably belongs).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-18-2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Hey guys I went through some of this not too long ago. I have eibach pro's on my car. I ended up going with the Steeda HD upper strut mounts that are adjustable. Some answers to the questions below:

1. Yes, drive it for a couple of days so the suspension settles.
2. You can choose to align or not. Your camber is going to be off, do you really want to pay for alignment twice? Get the plates or the bolts, then align....just my .02
3. I have a pair of bolts if anyone needs.....

Hope this helps!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Where did you get your bolts...and do I need plates or are the bolts enough...everyone seems to talk about the bolts and not the plates?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryanralston07
Where did you get your bolts...and do I need plates or are the bolts enough...everyone seems to talk about the bolts and not the plates?
I got my bolts from tire rack. You can do either or (you do not need to do both).

I got the plates because I do some spirited driving from time to time, so I thought to go with the heavy duty option. If you need the bolts, PM me.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

how hard is it to install the brackets later on? did you just keep the bolts and brackets in or put in the brackets when you are going to drive the car hard?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryanralston07
how hard is it to install the brackets later on? did you just keep the bolts and brackets in or put in the brackets when you are going to drive the car hard?
Neither the plates or the bolts are hard to install, the hard part is that you need an alignment after you do either. The plates require removing the front strut/spring assembley and the bolts just require a life for ease of install.

I initially had the bolts installed by the shop doing the alignment. I did hear that under hard driving and shocks to the front end the bolts can shift over time (I like to road race the car from time to time). This is why I decided to get the plates. I felt over time the bolts would shift, if this happens I would need an alignment everytime the bolts shifted. Don't get me wrong I know plenty of people that have the bolts and never had a problem, so don't worry. They are safe as well.

I took the bolts out myself, and put the stock ones back on. I had Steeda install the plates and align the car. Having changed my springs out myself, it's not a hard job.

Mike

Quick Reply: Cast/Camber Plates?